Former Canucks Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Probably would've been better for his development had he stuck exclusively in the AHL playing a ton of minutes those first few years of professional play.
You mean with Gudbranson Pouliot Larsen and Barkowski?

M2Beezy

Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Toffoli TOO slow for this league, we dont need him

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Had a bad feeling about the Tofoli trade.....It hurts when you unearth a gem like Madden in later rounds of the draft and then trade him along with a second rounder for basically 10 games of Tofoli, who's now lighting it up against us playing for the Habs.

The Kings traded Vancouver's second rounder (5st overall plus a 71st pick) to Detroit for the 45th pick and drafted d-man Brock Faber who looked good at the WJH. Detroit then nabbed Theodore Niederbach, a promising center from Sweden with Vancouver's pick.

So more wasted picks and prospects from Benning and co.

Reactions: Mr4legs

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Had a bad feeling about the Tofoli trade.....It hurts when you unearth a gem like Madden in later rounds of the draft and then trade him along with a second rounder for basically 10 games of Tofoli, who's now lighting it up against us playing for the Habs.

The Kings traded Vancouver's second rounder (5st overall plus a 71st pick) to Detroit for the 45th pick and drafted d-man Brock Faber who looked good at the WJH. Detroit then nabbed Theodore Niederbach, a promising center from Sweden with Vancouver's pick.

So more wasted picks and prospects from Benning and co.
You have to recall that nobody saw the impact of COVID coming. Under a rising cap, we likely could have kept at least one of the players we let walk this offseason, though that likely comes at the cost of not getting Schmidt so YMMV.

EDIT: Still, it's better to actually manage your cap and think ahead to what a contract might look like more than a single year from now. Beagle, Myers, etc. aren't worthless but their contracts more than cancel any upside they have.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
You have to recall that nobody saw the impact of COVID coming. Under a rising cap, we likely could have kept at least one of the players we let walk this offseason, though that likely comes at the cost of not getting Schmidt so YMMV.

EDIT: Still, it's better to actually manage your cap and think ahead to what a contract might look like more than a single year from now. Beagle, Myers, etc. aren't worthless but their contracts more than cancel any upside they have.

The flat cap is completely cancelled out by the huge break they caught with Michael Ferland and his terrible contract going on LTIR.

With no pandemic and Ferland trundling around in MacEwen's spot in our bottom-6, we're in exactly the same position right now.

Reactions: Jyrki21

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco

Not really. Under a rising cap, Toffoli/Markstrom/Tanev all would have been paid more, too. And like MS said, the Ferland LTIR is a huge break for the team.

Reactions: I am toxic

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Ben Hutton +1 20:16 TOI in his first look this season.

Stecher -1 23:06 the minus game in 3 on 3 OT.

At least they’re getting opportunities

M2Beezy

Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Ben Hutton +1 20:16 TOI in his first look this season.

Stecher -1 23:06 the minus game in 3 on 3 OT.

At least they’re getting opportunities
Luckily Myers makes more than double combined to cough up opposition goals...

Last edited:

CantStoptheBrock

Jun 26, 2020
The flat cap is completely cancelled out by the huge break they caught with Michael Ferland and his terrible contract going on LTIR.

With no pandemic and Ferland trundling around in MacEwen's spot in our bottom-6, we're in exactly the same position right now.
I refuse to allow a good person like Michael Ferland to be dragged through the mud to serve some inane online argument. I saw it with Derek Dorsett and it made me sick to my stomach then--for all the abuse Derek received, he was a crucial player for us--and now it seems Michael is being dragged into things too. Outside of his injury issues, Michael was a very good NHL player and we did not see anywhere near enough of a healthy version of him in a Canuck jersey to start denigrating him as a player.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
I refuse to allow a good person like Michael Ferland to be dragged through the mud to serve some inane online argument. I saw it with Derek Dorsett and it made me sick to my stomach then--for all the abuse Derek received, he was a crucial player for us--and now it seems Michael is being dragged into things too. Outside of his injury issues, Michael was a very good NHL player and we did not see anywhere near enough of a healthy version of him in a Canuck jersey to start denigrating him as a player.

Tf are you talking about?
He's criticizing Ferland's contract, not Ferland himself. Which is Benning's fault.

This is one of the dumbest straw man arguments that I've ever seen.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Jesus Christ.

Ferland was scoreless in 24 games before we gave him a stupid contract. Everyone in Carolina told us he looked finished. The team (if not Ferland) caught a massive break when he was concussed to wipe out his terrible contract.

This doesn't mean that every Canuck fan shouldn't be cheering for Ferland to get through what he's going through now. Nobody is 'dragging Ferland through the mud'. But that contract was absolutely moronic, signed by a stupid GM trying to claw his way to a playoff position to save his job.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Losing so much of the right side is cratering this team.
Stecher's a tough one
when you publicly state you aren't willing to go long term on contracts, I can deal with that stance during a pandemic, but then let stecher walk for 2 years and entry level money.

CantStoptheBrock

Jun 26, 2020
Jesus Christ.

Ferland was scoreless in 24 games before we gave him a stupid contract. Everyone in Carolina told us he looked finished. The team (if not Ferland) caught a massive break when he was concussed to wipe out his terrible contract.

This doesn't mean that every Canuck fan shouldn't be cheering for Ferland to get through what he's going through now. Nobody is 'dragging Ferland through the mud'. But that contract was absolutely moronic, signed by a stupid GM trying to claw his way to a playoff position to save his job.
Michael Ferland would have been a great Canuck without his injury issues, and I'm sad to see him not given the chance to make his doubters look foolish. Of course, seeing a player down, the vultures are out again to try to score internet points, just like with Derek Dorsett.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Michael Ferland would have been a great Canuck without his injury issues, and I'm sad to see him not given the chance to make his doubters look foolish. Of course, seeing a player down, the vultures are out again to try to score internet points, just like with Derek Dorsett.
Are you related to Derek?

Reactions: Peter10

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

2017 Micheal Ferland would have been a decent bottom-6 signing at the right price.

2019 Michael Ferland was completely broken, ineffective, and uninsurable and an idiot GM gave him a 4 year deal.

That is 0% Micheal Ferland’s fault and 100% Jim Benning’s fault. And trying to pretend that fans are scapegoating Ferland for that signing is just a pathetic attempt at deflection. Nobody is doing that.

Reactions: J Corso and Javaman
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad