Is hockey in Canada dying?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
My son is starting in fall. 1000$ just to set him up. Haven't paid his fees yet. We've gotten him some ice time and a skating coach to get him to speed with the other kids. That's a few hundred bucks more. I also play as an adult and it runs me > 1000$/year for league play/practices too. It's way more expensive than his soccer.
yeah its crazy, I got a friend who told me when he was young one season as a goalie he needed 3 sets of equipment could you imagine buying 3 setups in a single season on top of those fees.

and that's awesome man I hope your boy has fun and enjoys himself, my nephew just got put into ball hockey, he just turned 4 few months ago and he's already as big as the 6 year olds but his skill hasnt come along so he doesnt get the ball as much as he wants, gets him mad lol but he says im not a kid anymore no cartoons just playoffs hockey lol

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
"Dying" is absolutely a loaded term. Anyone who has browsed a forum for an online game (such as World of Warcraft) will know that people have been complaining about their games dying for fifteen years. Yet these games continue to hum along with viable communities playing them. However, the truth of the matter is that while the games aren't truly "dead" they've often cratered in popularity as players have moved on to other interests. This can be due to a variety of factors such as shifting demographics, new games to pull attention, mismanagement from the game studio, etc. So on the one hand, a game might be a shadow of what it once was and "dying", but on the other hand people were calling Guild Wars dead back in 2007 and I still play it.

With that out of the way, yes, I think hockey is dying in Canada the same way that World of Warcraft has been dying the past 10 years. There are old heads who still play and watch hockey, but the kids these days don't. Points about demographics are very relevant to this conversation (despite it still being an impossible subject for some), but it doesn't really matter what the cultural background of the 20 year olds in my office are, white, Indian, Asian, native, black, you name it, none of them care about hockey! Everyone I talk hockey with is 30 or older, so unless a new generation picks it up at some point it will really start to die off.

The game is too expensive. Canadian teams are dogshit and interest dries up. The NHL is garbage at advertising and there's as many opinions about how to improve the product as there are posters on this site. Other sports are taking up young fan interest. It goes on and on and on, but the thrust is all the same. Canadian interest in both hockey and the NHL is a not what it once was and shows no signs of improving. Does that mean dying? I don't think that actually matters.

• Wow
Reactions: Hockeyville USA

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Rising costs and stagnant wages are a much bigger reason why less people are playing hockey in Canada than "changing demographics"
Just pull yourself up by your boot straps in the meantime. That prosperity is gonna monsoon down on us instead of trickle. You'll see! You'll ALL see!!!

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
How about no NHL players in the Olympics recently having an impact? That was the showcase event when you could see the best players in the world at the Olympics. And for the general public not into hockey, the Olympics has more of an appeal than the Stanley Cup. Because everyone is getting behind their country. I remember in 2014 people getting up ridiculously early in Vancouver to watch the gold medal game against Sweden. And in 2010 the sheer joy of Canada winning gold in their home country. There is not the same enthusiasm or interest due to no NHL players imo.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Affordability and demographics have a lot to do with it but a major reason is that the rest of the world has taken an interest in hockey too and has caught up. And Canada doesn't have a lot of people. It's actually insane that a place with not even 40 million people can be so head and shoulders above 2 entire continents of North America and Europe. I'm relatively certain that if I combined only the metro area populations of just Tampa Bay and Miami-Dade I'd have more people than BC, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Yukon, Nunavut and the NWT. And if not, it's gonna be pretty freaking close.

It was going to happen. It was never not going to happen

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

HarrySPlinkett

Not a film critic
Feb 4, 2010
Calgary
Affordability and demographics have a lot to do with it but a major reason is that the rest of the world has taken an interest in hockey too and has caught up. And Canada doesn't have a lot of people. It's actually insane that a place with not even 40 million people can be so head and shoulders above 2 entire continents of North America and Europe. I'm relatively certain that if I combined only the metro area populations of just Tampa Bay and Miami-Dade I'd have more people than BC, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Yukon, Nunavut and the NWT. And if not, it's gonna be pretty freaking close.

It was going to happen. It was never not going to happen

The difference is, in Tampa and Miami Dade, there’s a million other things to do.

In all the podunk towns across Canada, the only thing to do in winter is play hockey.

Mostly outdoors.

There’s a reason most hockey players historically come from small towns.

And while yes, hockey is expensive, and only getting more so, outdoor hockey is not. And playing outdoors is where skills actually develop.

So until Canada loses its supply of outdoor ice, I really do think we’ll be fine.

jigglysquishy

Jun 20, 2011
Regina, Saskatchewan
The difference is, in Tampa and Miami Dade, there’s a million other things to do.

In all the podunk towns across Canada, the only thing to do in winter is play hockey.

Mostly outdoors.

And while yes, hockey is expensive, and only getting more so, outdoor hockey is not. And playing outdoors is where skills actually develop.

So until Canada loses its supply of outdoor ice, I really do think we’ll be fine.
The decreasing outdoor ice availability in Ottawa and Montreal played a decent role in the decline in hockey output.

Climate change is a huge impact for mild weather cities like Vancouver or Montreal.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
The decreasing outdoor ice availability in Ottawa and Montreal played a decent role in the decline in hockey output.

Climate change is a huge impact for mild weather cities like Vancouver or Montreal.
People don't play the game much in the city. And public schools don't have hockey programs , at least not in Montreal. I'm sure more rural regions do

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay

Mostly outdoors.

While that *IS* true, the other side of no snow exists as the biggest reason people in those areas don't play hockey. In my childhood home (here in Florida) we have over 100 lakes deep enough and perfect enough for hockey. And I promise on everything I love that if it actually froze here my dad (born in Bismarck, raised in Minneapolis-St. Paul) would have had me in skates as a toddler and so would everyone else. Instead we have baseball and football

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
People are struggling to pay mortgages and pay for groceries in Canada right now, paying for hockey isn't even considerable for most families right now. The amount of cash and time you need.
Was it ever really affordable though? I'm almost 30 and none of me or my friends parents could afford it growing up.

The kids from the out of town suburbs were the hockey ones

DaPhazz

Jun 30, 2016
Organized competitive hockey has become pricey in an already pricey country, but the public outdoor rinks are jam packed morning to evening in Montreal. No it's not dying.

Let's talk about it when the weather will get too warm to have proper ice outside, like this past winter.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Was it ever really affordable though? I'm almost 30 and none of me or my friends parents could afford it growing up.

The kids from the out of town suburbs were the hockey ones
Historically many players came from working class backgrounds, you never see that anymore. A guy like Mario Lemieux played on church-sponsored teams and likely didn't pay that much outside of equipment. These days, his family is probably priced out of expensive AAA hockey path and he plays soccer or basketball instead. At best, maybe someone sponsors the family so Lemieux and his brothers can play high level hockey. However, even that is tricky, because you have to really stand out to begin with in a sport that has a high barrier of entry, and you have to skate really well, something hard to do if you haven't already made significant investment. Much easier for a poor kid to get noticed as a "natural talent" in soccer, basketball or football because you don't have the ice skating component, which is an unnatural form of movement that needs to be specifically developed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad