Former Canucks Thread (Dan Hamhuis retires)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Brodeur had the one magical run, but it’s not like he had a star-studded career, exactly. It’s harder to judge in an era where goals-against varied wildly from like 2.95 to 5.30 or whatever, but I don’t think he was regularly among league leaders. I think that like McLean, some of us like to take the peak and imagine it was wider than it was.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Brodeur had the one magical run, but it’s not like he had a star-studded career, exactly. It’s harder to judge in an era where goals-against varied wildly from like 2.95 to 5.30 or whatever, but I don’t think he was regularly among league leaders. I think that like McLean, some of us like to take the peak and imagine it was wider than it was.

Goalies from before Hasek barely count as hockey players.

Reactions: PM and Jyrki21

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Burrows should hopefully return to the Canucks as an assistant coach one day.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
I was curious where Brodeur actually finished relative to his peers during his Canucks career. When you take out goalies under, say, 15 games, here are the results (keeping in mind it was a 21-team league):

1980-91 .884 (16th)
1981-82 .893 (6th)
1982-83 .873 (25th)
1983-84 .867 (30th)
1984-85 .857 (40th)
1985-86 .861 (35th)
1986-87 .872 (38th)

I mean, yeah, the 1982 playoff run was fun, but that doesn't exactly scream "Ring of Honour." If anything, it appears Brodeur may have been the prototype of the Canucks' tradition of remaining loyal to starting goalies for too long.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
What I remember about Brodeur is that - while he was not a butterfly goalie as Roy/Allaire had not set that in motion in time for Brodeur to really adopt - he was ahead of his time in being what I would term a blocking goalie, reading the play to be in the correct position to stop the puck, rather than reacting to the shot (see Fuhr).

As for save percentage during 83-87, we sucked - and we played a lot against a guy named Wayne in his prime. Again, my memory is that Brodeur provided goaltending for many seasons that allowed a team to be in a game - unless that team really sucked.

Which we did.

But yeah, I agree with Jyrki21 that memories of a brief peak overshadow the memories of other play. Really, I prefer just to remember '82, '89, '91-'94 from that last century.

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley

The run was AMAZING. We made the last dance for the first time on the back of him and that new invention called the hyperbaric chamber. The players in front of him were all looking for goals and would regularly abandon him forcing him to literally stand on his head to keep the puck out. And I mean literally. Critics blamed it on his inability to skate.

That said, he could never duplicate it. I saw a recent interview with Richie Sutter saying how disinterested King Richard was the rest of the time - and we all saw it too in interviews (think 1985 Lemiuex). (My Gramma met him in person and the bank and said the same thing - but she said Snepts and Hanlon were great). Even after that one run in the handshake line how he had more friends on the Islanders than his current team.

We should also remember that Arthur Griffiths Sr. fired Roger the next season, refused to pay him and whatever we built up in '82 was shown the door.

That said, he was AMAZING. And deserves to be there. That run was more special than '94 and 2011.

na na na na, na na na na, hey Calgary...

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
The bolded is premature. We have yet to see what happens with the Miller trade.

It is possible but very, very unlikely that the Miller trade can turn out worse than what was effectively two good years and one fair year of Barry Pederson for Cam Neely's best years and a young Glen Wesley.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
The bolded is premature. We have yet to see what happens with the Miller trade.

It's premature to declare that the Miller trade can't possibly be worse than the Neely + 3rd overall pick for Pederson trade? I'm big on wait and see, but Neely's is a HOFer and retired with 395 goals despite having his career cut short. For comparison, Daniel retired with 393 and Stamkos currently has 400.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
It's premature to declare that the Miller trade can't possibly be worse than the Neely + 3rd overall pick for Pederson trade? I'm big on wait and see, but Neely's is a HOFer and retired with 395 goals despite having his career cut short. For comparison, Daniel retired with 393 and Stamkos currently has 400.

how can we possibly know what player tampa will get with their first round pick from us and how good he will be?

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
how can we possibly know what player tampa will get with their first round pick from us and how good he will be?
We traded a 1st round pick & Grabner for Keith Ballard. The fact the drafted 1st round the Panthers used with that pick was a bust and Grabner didn't play a single game for them (lost him for nothing on waivers) doesn't change it was a horrible trade.

Reactions: Neddam ot Sehguh

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
We traded a 1st round pick & Grabner for Keith Ballard. The fact the drafted 1st round the Panthers used with that pick was a bust and Grabner didn't play a single game for them (lost him for nothing on waivers) doesn't change it was a horrible trade.

It doesn't matter who they picked but it matters that it was a 25 overall. Where the pick is is incredibly important to analysis of this trade, which is largely predicated on whether or not Benning was correct in his evaluation of the team.

Gillis did the right thing trading the 25th overall pick when we were on the cusp of being a Stanley Cup favorite. Targeted the wrong player though.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Was just coming here to post that as well. I’m excited to hear they have a podcast. I’ll give it a listen

Huggy43

Jan 13, 2016
Burnaby, BC
I’ve listened to both the Bertuzzi & Burrows episodes:
Amazing stuff for any Canucks fan. I hope it helps with Kes/the fans relationships.

With the lack of Canucks content on Spittin Chiclets, this could nip at their heels for a potential new fav. Hockey podcast.
RA deciding to go negative about Burrows when talking about his ROH really put me off.

Reactions: RIP Botchford

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
I’ve listened to both the Bertuzzi & Burrows episodes:
Amazing stuff for any Canucks fan. I hope it helps with Kes/the fans relationships.

With the lack of Canucks content on Spittin Chiclets, this could nip at their heels for a potential new fav. Hockey podcast.
RA deciding to go negative about Burrows when talking about his ROH really put me off.

RA is a f***ing moron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad