Former Canucks Thread (Dan Hamhuis retires)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
Most recent posts from previous thread
Yep....it's isn't often you can say that Jimbo schooled a rival GM in a trade.....but after the Pens dumped Gudbranson for the equivalent of a seventh rounder and a career minor leaguer, Pearson for Guddy looks pretty lopsided now.

Seems like ions ago since Benning gave up McCann and bunch of draft picks for Gudranson, and then proclaimed him to be a 'top-four d-man who made a great first pass'. And then of course doubled down on the original bone-header by signing him to that ridiculous extension.

Maybe the Canucks GM has actually learned something?.....but then again, maybe not.

Credit Rutherford for being able to clear a contract. Pretty much a nothing return but cleared $4 mill in cap through the end of next season.

It's frankly astonishing that an NHL team was willing to take Gudbranson's full ticket back at this point. Even the most optimistic person could say he's maybe a #6 defender ... getting paid $4 million.

NHL GMs are stupid. That's 3 of them in the last year that thought it was a great idea to pay this fringe NHLer $4 million/year. When we question the intelligence and competence of NHL GMs and don't buy the appeals to authority about their moves, this is why.

Never forget that pick for Gudbranson actually would've been Debrincat. I am 100% willing to charitably attribute that to Benning as great scouting since Botchford reported the interest well before the draft.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Ducks might have just cost themselves a playoff spot if they plan to use him in a big role.

He potentially cost us a playoff spot last year.

I'm not sure most people realize that we actually had a positive goal differential last year at ES when Gudbranson wasn't on the ice.

Reactions: Red

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
He potentially cost us a playoff spot last year.

I'm not sure most people realize that we actually had a positive goal differential last year at ES when Gudbranson wasn't on the ice.
Yeah, it's wild.

If they would've rolled with Biega/MDZ instead of Pouliot/Gudbranson they may very well have scraped in last season in a week conference;

Reactions: MS

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
Benning knew pens would trade him back to the Pacific division so we’ll get more easy points playing against him which will lead us back to the playoffs and eventually win the cup this year.
Benning is playing 4D chess while idiots on this board still talk about how virtanen is a bad pick.

This is such a genius strategy. Keep Guds long enough to put us in the perfect spot in the draft (not too high, not too low) to take Pettersson and Hughes in consecutive drafts. Then trade him to a team he knows will trade him back to the Pacific so we can take easy points from that team to make the playoffs

This also must be why Benning was okay with trading an unprotected 1st round pick for JT Miller.

BENNING KNEW ALL OF THIS WOULD HAPPEN. It's like Benning is Doctor Strange and he sees the 1 in 14,000,000 possibilities that this team ends up with the Cup.

Reactions: since 1970

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Why the heck did the Ducks try to re-unite the Sbisa/Gud combo? Makes no sense.
I tell you it must be Jimbo taking lessons from Reveen. "You are totally relaxed...your eyes are getting heavy....and repeat after me -- Sbisa and Gudbranson are top-pairing d-men, and make a great first pass."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad