Former Canucks Thread (Dan Hamhuis retires)

Status
Not open for further replies.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
ES production :

Zack Kassian - 23 points
Nick Bonino - 21 points
Brock Boeser - 19 points
Elias Pettersson - 18 points
Jared McCann - 17 points
Bo Horvat - 17 points

giphy.gif

Reactions: vanuck

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
ES production :

Zack Kassian - 23 points
Nick Bonino - 21 points
Brock Boeser - 19 points
Elias Pettersson - 18 points
Jared McCann - 17 points
Bo Horvat - 17 points
Kassian's totals are obviously inflated but the rest of that list is hilarious. Someone should spam that list to Francesco next time he tweets.

Reactions: vanuck

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Kassian's totals are obviously inflated but the rest of that list is hilarious. Someone should spam that list to Francesco next time he tweets.
Kassian's point totals are just the icing on the cake. Whenever he gets the odd shift with the Coilers elite players; it's not as a top 6 player. He's there to watch those player's back. Imagine if we had such a player (who can skate) being EPs bodyguard.

Doesn't hurt he can handle PK duty as well.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Kassian's point totals are just the icing on the cake. Whenever he gets the odd shift with the Coilers elite players; it's not as a top 6 player. He's there to watch those player's back. Imagine if we had such a player (who can skate) being EPs bodyguard.

Doesn't hurt he can handle PK duty as well.
THANKS WILLIE.

Reactions: I am toxic

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Since his breakout year in 2013-14, Kassian's actually averaged around 27-28 ES pts/82 - which would qualify as low-end top 6 production at evens.

If you factor in ice time, his 1.64 pts/60 at 5v5 over that span would've tied for 184th in the league last season among all forwards who played at least 400 minutes. Given there are 31 teams in the league... that would sit just inside the top 6 range for production as well.

Benning apologists like to spew the narrative that we had to dump the guy in order for him to turn his life around. And that he wouldn't have found the success he has in Edmonton if our Dear Leader hadn't done him a "favour".

The reality is that Benning simply didn't want to address his addictions despite it being a very real mental health problem and, rather ironically, especially since the Canucks have been advocating for mental health awareness since Rypien's passing (RIP). This is not very surprising to anyone who's ever read about Kassian's backstory. We gave up a player who had already established himself as a big, tough yet skilled, possession-driving middle 6 winger in VAN and was a fan favourite and a very popular teammate in the room. AND even threw in a pick in the process just to acquire a "character guy" who ended up being nothing like advertised and whined selfishly when the coach sat him.

Like they couldn't have shot themselves harder in the foot here if they'd tried. :speechles

Last edited:

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
It will never not be funny to me that the canucks protected him in the expansion draft.
If we made a list of all the players that were protected around the league are Gudbranson, Baertschi and Granlund the worst ?

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
If we made a list of all the players that were protected around the league are Gudbranson, Baertschi and Granlund the worst ?
. Here's Colorado:

Sven Andrighetto (F)
Blake Comeau (F)
Matt Duchene (F)
Rocco Grimaldi (F)
Gabriel Landeskog (F)
Nathan MacKinnon (F)
Matt Nieto (F)
Tyson Barrie (D)
Erik Johnson (D)
Nikita Zadorov (D)
Semyon Varlamov (G)

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
. Here's Colorado:

Sven Andrighetto (F)
Blake Comeau (F)
Matt Duchene (F)
Rocco Grimaldi (F)
Gabriel Landeskog (F)
Nathan MacKinnon (F)
Matt Nieto (F)
Tyson Barrie (D)
Erik Johnson (D)
Nikita Zadorov (D)
Semyon Varlamov (G)
Funnily enough Andrighetto was always my comparable for Granlund of a similar player but one claimed from waivers.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
I’m extremely happy and proud of Kassian for having turned his life around. His comeback story should serve as an inspiration to those that are battling addiction, or personal demons of any kind. Much love and much respect for Kassian.

Having said that, Benning made the correct decision by moving on from Kassian (and yes -I realize that the Prust trade ended up being bollocks even though Prust has been a great team guy up until that point, and even in Vancouver before that ankle injury made him a non-NHL calibre player).

Lest we forget that Kassian was unceremoniously booted from Montreal.

That’s too bad about Bonino. Looks like we definitely lost that trade. Glad to see him thriving in Nashville (in what I’m assuming is a 3rd line C spot?). If it’s the 2nd line C spot, then Benning *really* lost that trade big time, but if it’s the 3rd line C role that Bonino is thriving in, then Benning still made the right move in moving Bonino (ie for a youngish guy that could temporarily play in the 2nd line C spot while Horvat could get up to speed). Bonino has always been a very good 3rd line center (even in Anaheim), but clearly couldn’t handle the duties and responsibilities of 2nd line C as a Canuck.

Unfortunately for us, Sutter wasn’t that guy either. Fortunately for us, Horvat ended up turning into that guy anyways.....and now we got Gaudette.

Ps - anyone know what Gustav Forsling is up to these days? What about Frank Corrado? Or Hunter Shinkaruk? Darren Archibald? Brendan Gaunce? Alex Biega?

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
I think they are all partying with Vey, Dorsett, Glendenning, Pedan, Pouliot, Prust, Etem, Granlund, Baertschi, Larsen, Goldobin, Dahlen and Leipsic.

I wonder if Michael Carcone is with those guys?

You remember Michael Carcone right?

The guy that we traded to Toronto?

For Josh Leivo.

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
I wonder if Michael Carcone is with those guys?

You remember Michael Carcone right?

The guy that we traded to Toronto?

For Josh Leivo.

Josh Leivo is your argument? If a guy like him is important to your team its fairly obvious the GM did a bad job building it. Leivo is a dime a dozen player who has a few hot runs here and there before disappearing again. Players like this only hold value while on a cheap contract and as bad as it sounds, his injury might be a blessing in disguise for the Canucks, otherwise Benning may have signed him to 4x4 deal or so (he may still).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad