Former Canucks Thread (Dan Hamhuis retires)

Status
Not open for further replies.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Markus Granlund deserves a mention at this moment. Let's not spend too much time asking if he can sustain his production and his shooting %.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
buried in all this, anson carter drops that he was last called the n word in a hockey context on the ice in his sophomore or jr year of college by a former michigan player who was an islanders draft pick.

said he told the guy they would talk about it again at the next level, presumably bc fighting would be allowed, and then smugly said he never got the chance bc the guy didn’t make it.

afaict there are two guys this could be, but i don’t think it really matters being that both are no names obviously.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
yes, before that he was on pace for like 5 points

Sure. But he did have 3 goals in 4 games so he deserves a mention at this time as a former Canuck in the Former Canucks Thread. Don't really care if you disagree.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Jared McCann is now third on the Pens in points, second in goals, and second in +/-.

22: 9/7/16 +16
Yep....the Athletic reporting that McCann has been one of the best two-way players on the Pens, particularly since Crosby went down. The 24th overall selection by the Canucks in 2014; but the guy picked one selection later was some guy named Pastrnak. who has a couple of hatties so far this season and 23 goals in 24 games; and now up to 39 points.

Of course it's been beaten to death that Matthew Tkachuk was the next pick after Juloevi at #5 in 2016. The mind numbs at the thought. We could have had McCann and Tkachuk in the lineup tonight; or in the most optimistic scenario Tkachuk and Pastrnak. Secondary scoring? No worries.

Instead we're icing just Pearson. That's it.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Sure. But he did have 3 goals in 4 games so he deserves a mention at this time as a former Canuck in the Former Canucks Thread. Don't really care if you disagree.

You're not wrong but he's not mentioned because no one cares what he's up to and we all don't want him back. McCann and Kassian on the otherhand could actually help this team.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
You're not wrong but he's not mentioned because no one cares what he's up to and we all don't want him back. McCann and Kassian on the otherhand could actually help this team.

I didn't say anything about others not mentioning Granlund. I just said he deserves a mention given Sbisa, Guds, Tanner Glass etc. were mentioned and I don't think "we all" want them back. Heck, Bob McKenzie mentioned Granlund on the radio which is why I even paid attention.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
At a fraction of the cost. But who needs cap space right?

And Kassian didn't cost anything against the cap when he was suspended. The Kassian that Canucks traded was in a downward spiral in his life. He's a changed man and a soon to be 29 year old having a career alongside two elite players.

McCann, on the other hand, was traded for a player that management thought could be a 24 year old top 4 Dman for the team. Benning even commented that he thought McCann could develop into a top 6 player (a level of praise that I don't remember him ever dolling out on a departed player).

Reactions: Cucumber

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Wonder if Nicklas Jensen is ever going to make a comeback in North America. It seems just as he was turning a corner developmentally and matured beyond his self centred attitude he was traded to the Rangers, bounced around between leagues and then took off to Russia, where he's had quite a bit of success. He's got size, speed, and a wicked shot; the basic tools everyone looks for.

I remember hearing a rumour that the Oilers were looking at him last year, wouldn't be surprised if he were to come back and be a nice complementary piece somewhere

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Wonder if Nicklas Jensen is ever going to make a comeback in North America. It seems just as he was turning a corner developmentally and matured beyond his self centred attitude he was traded to the Rangers, bounced around between leagues and then took off to Russia, where he's had quite a bit of success. He's got size, speed, and a wicked shot; the basic tools everyone looks for.

I remember hearing a rumour that the Oilers were looking at him last year, wouldn't be surprised if he were to come back and be a nice complementary piece somewhere

Yeah he looked really good at the end of the Torts season.

I see Brendan Gaunce has an assist in his first NHL game as a Bruin.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Derrick Pouliot leads the AHL in points for d-men. Adam Clendening is 12th (tied with Brogan Rafferty, though Clendenning has played three fewer games).

I don't think this means anything in particular, but there you go..

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Derrick Pouliot leads the AHL in points for d-men. Adam Clendening is 12th (tied with Brogan Rafferty, though Clendenning has played three fewer games).

I don't think this means anything in particular, but there you go..
Didn’t Clendening always seem to put up points at the AHL level? His problem was his skating was always subpar (by NHL standards). Subban like Pouliot could put up points as well. Just was mediocre defensively (even probably by AHL standards).

Reactions: lindgren

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Imagine having a 3rd line of McCann and Kassian. Instead of having Sutter and Beagle in your bottom 6... how much better would this team's depth be?

Would love to have had Kassian and McCann in our middle six. Trading those two stung a lot, they were exactly what a rebuilding team needs. Young, high ceiling, and cost controlled. Kassian is already one of the meaner power forwards in the league. He's averaging over 3 hits a game while producing fairly well.

Detractors say that they had attitude problems, but I think that's oversimplifying things too much. Kassian didn't have his shit together, but he seemed more like a nice guy who was just irresponsible. The Sedins had positive things to say about him and they played on the same line together for a while. The impaired car crash looks bad, but it's not the end of the world in terms of sports scandals. He had issues with alcoholism but he was still young enough to figure things out; the Canucks cutting bait with him kind of reflects poorly on the organization IMO.

And McCann was probably too cocky/arrogant in the dressing room based on some comments (Pedan, but that wouldn't be an issue since he's not good enough to crack an NHL roster), but I don't think a young NHLer with some swagger is a huge issue anyway. He probably would have matured here and would have been humbled after a few difficult seasons. He could have played left wing on any of our top 3 lines or centred our 3rd line.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Kassian is already one of the meaner power forwards in the league. He's averaging over 3 hits a game... Kassian didn't have his **** together, but he seemed more like a nice guy who was just irresponsible... The impaired car crash looks bad, but it's not the end of the world in terms of sports scandals. He had issues with alcoholism but he was still young enough to figure things out; the Canucks cutting bait with him kind of reflects poorly on the organization IMO.

Are you equating hits with meanness? I do think Kassian is a nice guy. He was not the mean power forward that teams wanted him to be.

Regardless, I disagree that it reflects poorly on the organization to be cutting bait with him. Kassian was in the substance abuse program before Benning became GM. Despite that, Benning gave Kassian a 2 year contract and given time to get better. At that time, Kassian was already 24 and failed to establish a steady role on the team after playing for 3 coaches in Vancouver. There has been nothing reported on this but do you think that Chiarelli called up Benning before deciding to pick Kassian up? I think that's a possibility but it doesn't matter too much.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Yeah, I just didn't think he'd proven enough as a starter for the disdain that was bountiful in that thread. 3 seasons in his entire career with 60+ starts. He had Vezina talents sure, but opendoor (who is one of my fav posters as are you) equating Schneids to a $100 and Luongo to a $1 certainly didn't age well.

I didn't think the complaints were justified, and the team was constrained and with the benefit of hindsight came out clearly on top. Re-reading that thread, Schneider also apparently requested a trade as per Bill Watters (because of Kesler I'm guessing).

What did Kesler do?

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Nilsson has been on a nice run for Ottawa this season. Such a strange goalie, every player has highs and lows but his always seem to more extreme than others.

Considering how bad Ottawa is he's been on a nice run since the second that he got out of this backup goalie graveyard...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad