Former Canucks Thread (Dan Hamhuis retires)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014

AV with the Jack Adams nomination today, this was one of my favourite moments with him as our coach. :laugh:
So many successful coaches have a big streak of that mobster craziness and self-confidence. AV, Tortarella, Keenan, Babcock, etc.

Diablo2020

Feb 11, 2020
Calgary
I was browsing alltime Canuck stats today and am just so ashamed of this team in its 50 years of existence, but so happy at the current core which is going to absolutely smash these brutal records.

I'll get the hate flowing early by mentioning Mark Messier is the 54th highest scoring Canuck.

Ever.

Completely washed up, and the dude is top 60 alltime.

Brock Boeser is the 55th highest scoring Canuck, one point behind Messier.

That's good, for us now, but in grand scheme of things, so sad.

Sven Baertschi, whom we cant even give away, is the 84th highest scoring Canuck of alltime.

Looking at just goals, he's #55 with a paltry 58.

We've always knew the defense has lacked a true #1 for 50 years, but Hughes might pass everyone but Edler within his first 3-4 years in the league.

Lumme, Kearns, Ohlund, Lidster, Jovanovski, Bieksa, Lanz, McCarthy, Snepsts all within 270 points of him, in his rookie year.

He could gain 6-7 years of an advantage on all those guys, before he even turns 30.

Back to the former players, its pretty sad that due to longevity alone, Matt Cooke is top 40 alltime in Canucks scoring.

Andrew Cassels played less than 200 games, and is top 50 in scoring.

On the flipside of points, Sami Salo has played the 18th most games of any player in a Canucks jersey.

We rag on the dude for never being healthy and hes a top 20 games played in 50 years of hockey.

Chris Tanev, 25th alltime games played and 78th alltime in points.

Chris Tanev, 25th in games played, 78th in points. In 50 years.

I could go on, but I threw up and needed to lay down when I seen Brandon Sutter is a top 100 alltime Canuck scorer.

Radim Vrbata, he of 1 good season, is #99.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
We've always knew the defense has lacked a true #1 for 50 years, but Hughes might pass everyone but Edler within his first 3-4 years in the league.

Lumme, Kearns, Ohlund, Lidster, Jovanovski, Bieksa, Lanz, McCarthy, Snepsts all within 270 points of him, in his rookie year.

He could gain 6-7 years of an advantage on all those guys, before he even turns 30.
Ohlund was essentially elite defensively; assigned with the duty of shutting down the likes of Iginila in his prime. Preventing the other team from scoring a goal & just as effective as scoring a goal for the team. And he still managed to score 10 or more goals in a season four times - on bad eye.

A "true #1" is exceptional at both ends of the ice.

Diablo2020

Feb 11, 2020
Calgary
Im with ya and I got lots of love for Jyrki and Mattias as darn mighty fine stalwarts on dee.

But after talking it over with a friend, Sylvain Cote falls #8 on the Washington Capitals alltime defense scoring.

The other 7 are Hatcher, Johansson, Langway, Gonchar, Carlson, Stevens and Green.

We have severely lagged behind alot of teams on defense and the alltime stats show a sad tale, especially on defense, is all I was saying.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007

that’s asking an awful lot of q hughes to expect him to score 90-135 pts a year in the next 2-3 seasons.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
that’s asking an awful lot of q hughes to expect him to score 90-135 pts a year in the next 2-3 seasons.
Quinn has 6 more seasons as a rfa. So he will surpass them during his rfa years. That is 54 points average over 5 seasons or 4 years at like 67 per.

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
I was browsing alltime Canuck stats today and am just so ashamed of this team in its 50 years of existence, but so happy at the current core which is going to absolutely smash these brutal records.

I'll get the hate flowing early by mentioning Mark Messier is the 54th highest scoring Canuck.

Ever.

Sven Baertschi, whom we cant even give away, is the 84th highest scoring Canuck of alltime.

Back to the former players, its pretty sad that due to longevity alone, Matt Cooke is top 40 alltime in Canucks scoring.

On the flipside of points, Sami Salo has played the 18th most games of any player in a Canucks jersey.

We rag on the dude for never being healthy and hes a top 20 games played in 50 years of hockey.

I could go on, but I threw up and needed to lay down when I seen Brandon Sutter is a top 100 alltime Canuck scorer.

Yea its pretty sad how lowly this franchise rank in all-time stats. For franchise goal scoring leader, we have Daniel Sedin at 393 goals, behind expansion teams that are half as old as this franchise (TB: Stamkos at 422, Ott: Alfredsson at 426, Ana: Selanne at 457, SJ: Marleau at 518)
The only franchise we are ahead of that isn't an expansion team from the 90s or 2000s is Carolina. And they would've passed us if their leader Francis (382 goals for that franchise, only 11 behind Sedin) had played his whole career for that team, like Sedin did for us. Or if you want to take a player that didn't play in the high scoring 80s, Eric Staal would've for sure passed Danny had Staal played his whole career in Carolina too.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
One of the weird things in franchise history is how few 'career Canucks' there are. Thankfully the Sedins finished their careers here, bringing the total to ... 4. Sedins, Smyl, Dennis Kearns. After that, the next-senior retired career Canuck is Gary Lupul at a whopping 293 games.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver

Ever.

Thank you.

Thank you for stirring the memories of the '70's and '80's.

Thank you for bringing back vivid memories of what bad truly was.

Thank you.

Thank you for ruining a beautiful day.

Reactions: hellstick

Hit the post

Oct 1, 2015
Thank you.

Thank you for stirring the memories of the '70's and '80's.

Thank you for bringing back vivid memories of what bad truly was.

Thank you.

Thank you for ruining a beautiful day.
There was a brief spark of hope in the mid-70s (course I still believed in Santa Claus). Then the WHA happened (coupled with meh GM's who also had the burden of operating on a Value Village budget).

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Ohlund was essentially elite defensively; assigned with the duty of shutting down the likes of Iginila in his prime. Preventing the other team from scoring a goal & just as effective as scoring a goal for the team. And he still managed to score 10 or more goals in a season four times - on bad eye.

A "true #1" is exceptional at both ends of the ice.

This was all after a serious eye injury but still in 50 years one would expect better.

Heck the Preds have had like 5 guys better in their short history so far.

Weber, Suter, Josi,Jones and perhaps even Ellis, Ekholm and Girard when it's all said and done.

Hamius isn't that far off from Ohlund overall is he?

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
There was a brief spark of hope in the mid-70s (course I still believed in Santa Claus). Then the WHA happened (coupled with meh GM's who also had the burden of operating on a Value Village budget).

Yes, briefly. But between the Habs dynasty and then the Islanders (along with our Value Village budget), we had no hope of competing for a Cup.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
This was all after a serious eye injury but still in 50 years one would expect better.

Heck the Preds have had like 5 guys better in their short history so far.

Weber, Suter, Josi,Jones and perhaps even Ellis, Ekholm and Girard when it's all said and done.

Hamius isn't that far off from Ohlund overall is he?

That's the thing a lot of posters don't realize or have forgotten. Our drafting history sucks. You must have heard stories of how it all started with the coin flip/toss? Maybe I'm just jaded, but picking Juolevi over Tkachuk, Bourdon over Kopitar etc. is the norm. Getting Boeser, Petey, and Hughes within 4 drafts? That's new and perhaps due to Jason Herter no longer haunting the Canucks.

Hit the post

Oct 1, 2015
That's the thing a lot of posters don't realize or have forgotten. Our drafting history sucks. You must have heard stories of how it all started with the coin flip/toss? Maybe I'm just jaded, but picking Juolevi over Tkachuk, Bourdon over Kopitar etc. is the norm. Getting Boeser, Petey, and Hughes within 4 drafts? That's new and perhaps due to Jason Herter no longer haunting the Canucks.
Dale Tallon actually wasn't that bad a pick. Sure he was not remotely in the same planet as the legit HHOFer @ #1. But had management made up their mind on playing him as a defenseman (natural position) or up front as a center. he might've developed different. Hard enough breaking into the league as a defenseman but imagine 'switching gears' when getting shifted to center.

When drafting is the ONLY area of strength with this current regime - you better believe any kind of mistakes will be magnified for the worse.

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
Jared McCann is developing really well in Pittsburgh it seems. Centering their 3rd line in the playoffs.

Something like Gaudette - McCann - Jake would have been an intriguing 3rd line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce