Former Canucks: Players & Management (Willie Desjardins fired by Kings, COO Victor De Bonis to SEA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
19-26 year old Gudbranson seems to be a clone of 37 year old Bieksa
You know, believe it or not I was thinking old Bieksa=Sbisa. The big difference of course being the fact that Bieksa could actually play at one time. Sbisa is as bad as pure fighters like Glen Cochrane and Dave Richter ever were.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Gudbranson's profile should be used to design the Johnny Canuck crest if/when we ever return to tradition. Just let him grow his beard out a little and give hin a red jack shirt and boom. Johnny Canuck.

Reactions: timbermen

Askel

By the way Benning should be fired.
Apr 19, 2004
Malmö/Vancouver
If he plays like the last couple months before he was shut down, he definitely will have a decent year.

He was playing very well...
He was being carried by Edler, but sure he was playing almost like no 5 d-man. He still can't score, can't pass but hey he is big right?

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Why hasn't he done this before? Did he just after his 300 games figure out that he needs work hard during the off season, maybe that why he sucks?
He doesn’t suck. I hate this narrative. Every time we overlay a player he automatically “sucks”. Is he overpaid? Absolutely. He’s still a solid #5 dman.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
He doesn’t suck. I hate this narrative. Every time we overlay a player he automatically “sucks”. Is he overpaid? Absolutely. He’s still a solid #5 dman.
During the odd games where he actually decides to show up or be carried, youre right hes a solid 5. Its the other 75% of games where he plays like a 6-10. He really does suck. He is our Yakupov but since he is big and Canadian he is somehow still in the league.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
He was being carried by Edler, but sure he was playing almost like no 5 d-man. He still can't score, can't pass but hey he is big right?

During the odd games where he actually decides to show up or be carried, youre right hes a solid 5. Its the other 75% of games where he plays like a 6-10. He really does suck. He is our Yakupov but since he is big and Canadian he is somehow still in the league.

Maybe I'm just too old school To me, it's about chemistry and how a pairing works. Who cares if a Dman is "carried" by his partner if he is effective and the best partner for that Dman on the team who is capable of carrying a pairing?

Who was the best partner for Jovo? Lachance and Malik. These guys didn't carry anybody and were marginal as #4 Dmen but they were certainly very good and effective alongside Jovo. "Casual Kev" Bieksa was hardly a shutdown Dman, but he was very effective in that role alongside Hamhuis.

Gudbranson seems best when he plays with someone who can move the puck really well. Unfortunately, he's been injured more often than not. We've seen him with Hutton and Hutton was not a good partner for him.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
Maybe I'm just too old school To me, it's about chemistry and how a pairing works. Who cares if a Dman is "carried" by his partner if he is effective and the best partner for that Dman on the team who is capable of carrying a pairing?

Who was the best partner for Jovo? Lachance and Malik. These guys didn't carry anybody and were marginal as #4 Dmen but they were certainly very good and effective alongside Jovo. "Casual Kev" Bieksa was hardly a shutdown Dman, but he was very effective in that role alongside Hamhuis.

Gudbranson seems best when he plays with someone who can move the puck really well. Unfortunately, he's been injured more often than not. We've seen him with Hutton and Hutton was not a good partner for him.
Talk about chemistry, Tryamkin and Biega had more chemistry than Edler and Gudbranson

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria

You don't become a good team by overpaying bit players. The acquisition cost to acquire a 3rd pair (at best) player was astronomical, and then was re-signed to a contract that he will never live up to. That's not good.

And IMO, he is quite a bad NHL defenseman. He's literally one of the most permissive defensemen in terms of shots and chances in the NHL. Yah, there was a short stretch where he looked OK. That doesn't outweigh the entire body of work.

Askel

By the way Benning should be fired.
Apr 19, 2004
Malmö/Vancouver

Can you show any sort of stats that shows that Gudbranson improved his play with Edler. To me it looked like Edler had to carry him which made Edlers pairing worse.

Malik and Lachance where complementary d-men and paid as such. Gudbransson is paid good money maybe he should earn it?

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
David Booth is melting down on twitter. Just all kinds of bad....
Oh dear..

His stance is “Sacrifice everything” could be misconstrued to sacrifice your life for anything you believe in.. then tied in into flying a plane into a building for your beliefs-sacrificing your life... then asking what Colin actually sacrificed..

Conclusion: “just Do It” campaign from 30 yrs ago was the driving force to 9/11... Fly the plane into the building Mo, Just Do It!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad