Former Canucks: Players & Management (Kevin Bieksa retirement watch)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Despite being happy in the offseason to move him the guy... this SUCKS to read about today...

http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2016/11/28/dallas-shakes-up-defense-again-healthy-scratches-hamhuis-again/

(a Mike Halford article)
Hamhuis, his demotion comes after receiving a season-low 16:06 in Friday’s 2-1 win over his former team, the Canucks. In that game, he was beaten by Vancouver forward Jason Megna for the only goal surrendered on the night.

Hamhuis, 33, has had a difficult time transitioning to his new team, but has still been a regular lineup presence. He and John Klingberg are tied for the team lead in games played by a defenseman, with 21.

As mentioned above, Ruff has already sat Hamhuis once this season — following a 4-1 loss to the Jets on Oct. 27 — and admitted it was a tough decision to make.

“I went and talked to him, and those aren’t easy conversations. Understandably, you’ve got an upset player,” Ruff told the Dallas Morning News. “But it’s a strong message, and it’s a message that needs to be carried — it’s not good enough. I know it’s tough when you come from another team, but right now we’ve got to find less excuses and more reasons to win a game.”

.. it pissed me off to see the pic they decided to run with for the article... hate the media sometimes.. most times.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Someone made an excellent post on a former Canucks so far this season, in summary, Jim Benning made out good on 95% of his trades.

Link: https://hockeytalkie.wordpress.com/2016/11/27/quarter-season-report-on-former-canucks/

Most of those weren't trades. Half were guys he let go for nothing. The few trades that look good right now are when we traded young players for older players and those pretty much always look better to start off (if they don'y then someone really screwed up). Shinkaruk still has a few years to get where Granlund is right now and the 2nd + McCann were never going to bite us this early.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
That guys one of r/canucks favourite posters, which should tell you as much as you need to know about that sub :laugh:

He also posts numbers with 0 context.

Bonino's rocking a 22.5 o-zone start percentage and has Rust and Wilson on his line

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Never get WD his toys. He put McMillian on the PP ahead of Horvat.

Yeah but unlike dorsett, Vey, Etem, we gave up nothing and actually picked him up off of Waivers. it is a baby step. plus you can't blame management for dumb coaching moves... I mean maybe after a while if changes aren't made.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Quite possibly the worst article I've read - now knowing he posts on reddit too....explains so much.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
Always fun to see people trash the source rather than the argument. Lack and the like have been awful

The three moves that drove the fan base (especially on this site) into a foam-mouthed frenzy were:
Letting Santorelli walk (no longer in the NHL)
Trading Kassian (4 points, thankfully sober and stable)
Trading Lack (.878 save percentage over the last 38 games)

topched88

Jan 21, 2007
Always fun to see people trash the source rather than the argument. Lack and the like have been awful

The three moves that drove the fan base (especially on this site) into a foam-mouthed frenzy were:

I dunno..

The Sbisa/Dorsset extension takes the cake I think, followed by maybe last years trade deadline.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
I dunno..

The Sbisa/Dorsset extension takes the cake I think, followed by maybe last years trade deadline.

Maybe, but people still moan about the above 3 despite their literal failures over the last couple seasons. all three were good moves to make. You'd think the fan base would acknowledge that, but they still think Kassian bout to turn into dat top line power forward he just needs a real chance!

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
You win some by a little bit, you lose some by a little bit as a GM.... people then extrapolate those individual wins and a loses onto things MUCH bigger than they actually are.

Regular, typical fan behavior.

Nothing to see here. We let walk certain players... some look good -Richardson, Vrbata, etc .. others not so much... Matthias, Santorelli, Hamhuis, etc... we traded a bunch that some have looked ok.. like Garrison prior to this yr and Kesler ... and some haven't... like Shinkaruk, Lack, Bieksa, etc...it is what it is..

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
You win some by a little bit, you lose some by a little bit as a GM.... people then extrapolate those individual wins and a loses onto things MUCH bigger than they actually are.

Regular, typical fan behavior.

Nothing to see here. We let walk certain players... some look good -Richardson, Vrbata, etc .. others not so much... Matthias, Santorelli, Hamhuis, etc... we traded a bunch that some have looked ok.. like Garrison prior to this yr and Kesler ... and some haven't... like Shinkaruk, Lack, Bieksa, etc...it is what it is..

So by this logic, nobody should be evaluated on their performance ever. Get a minor midget team, throw it against NHL players, it is what it is. Nothing to see here. We won't ever judge the job you do so just don't die out there kids and you've done great.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006

Maybe, but people still moan about the above 3 despite their literal failures over the last couple seasons. all three were good moves to make. You'd think the fan base would acknowledge that, but they still think Kassian bout to turn into dat top line power forward he just needs a real chance!

Kassian is still playing in this league, where is Prust?

Santorelli was a 20+ point bottom6er two years prior to going to Swiss-A.

Over a three year span, Miller and Lack had near identical SV %.

They were not good moves to make. Obviously, you would see it as an overreaction if you had misjudged if they were good/bad moves in the first place. (Which you did, and are still doing)

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Shinkaruk still has a few years to get where Granlund is right now and the 2nd + McCann were never going to bite us this early.

Why does Shinkaruk have a few years to get to where Granlund is now? They are effectively one year apart in development. Shinkaruk has one year to get to where Granlund is now.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
So by this logic, nobody should be evaluated on their performance ever. Get a minor midget team, throw it against NHL players, it is what it is. Nothing to see here. We won't ever judge the job you do so just don't die out there kids and you've done great.
You took your drama drinks last night I see..

My post was in reference to the one above me. I.e. there's nothing out of ordinary to see people moan about one side of a particular trade , or specific trades over and over and over.. it's what fans do.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
Kassian is still playing in this league, where is Prust?
taking on prust and giving up a pick were a small price to pay for helping a man move on with his life and travel a path to where he can finally be in recovery. Kassian said so himself, that he needed to be traded from vancouver in order to hit rock bottom and rebuild his life.
Kassian admists the trade was good for him, and that in his own reflection his actions in vancouver weren't good enough.

Why can't fans also admit this, if Kassian can?

The thing so few on HF Canucks can admit is that Kassian was a massive risk to take on for any team, and the Canucks had to add to a bad deal to get it done.

Still worth it, may have saved a mans life.
Santorelli was a 20+ point bottom6er two years prior to going to Swiss-A.
well far be it for me to question a 20 pointer. Santorelli should be most frustrated with his agent, who couldn't get Gillis to bite on an extension and then tried to press Benning into what would have been a disasterous multi year deal.

Good on Benning saying no and letting him walk the road to Europe.

Over a three year span, Miller and Lack had near identical SV %.

They were not good moves to make. Obviously, you would see it as an overreaction if you had misjudged if they were good/bad moves in the first place. (Which you did, and are still doing)
38 games is near a half season of work and Lacks save percentage is well below 900. He's on the path to Europe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad