Former Canucks: Players & Management (Kevin Bieksa retirement watch)

Status
Not open for further replies.

banme*

Jun 7, 2014
dMJVTF2.png

vSR5KGL.png

GqeR8Bf.png

Imagine the scorn if this guy was putting up these poo numbers in the softest minutes on our backend. Was very surprised he stuck in the nhl this year.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Grabner was mistreated under Gillis IMO. 30 goal season in the AHL and he didn't get a single game in the NHL.

You must not remember his play in camps prior to each season. Grabner didn't do himself any favours.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
Grabner showed little outside of speed when he was here. We're far from the only team that has lost interest in him. Sure, he's had a couple of hot streaks... but he's also had several much longer, multi-season, cold spells.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Grabner was mistreated under Gillis IMO. 30 goal season in the AHL and he didn't get a single game in the NHL.

Yes he did. His NHL stint with us ended when he broke his ankle playing soccer in warm up before a (NHL) game.

Seriously dude, takes 5 seconds of googling to see he played 20 NHL games with the Canucks.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Grabner showed little outside of speed when he was here. We're far from the only team that has lost interest in him. Sure, he's had a couple of hot streaks... but he's also had several much longer, multi-season, cold spells.

Exactly. The guy has had two good seasons (this one included) and both came in seasons where he was almost out of the league entirely. He needs to have his back agains the wall to produce.

And Benning could have easily outbid NYR for him or traded 5 junk players to NYI like TOR did. He would have fit Benning's speed, speed, speed philosophy he loves to talk about.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
Yes he did. His NHL stint with us ended when he broke his ankle playing soccer in warm up before a (NHL) game.

Seriously dude, takes 5 seconds of googling to see he played 20 NHL games with the Canucks.

Also MayRay had outperformed him at the point and was far more deserving of the spot. I don't think we would have been better off having two similar types playing top 6 mins at the time. I'm glad Grabner is doing well again but it's hardly anything to bemoan.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Grabner was actually called up a couple games into the 09-10 season and basically made the team that October - he spent the rest of the month playing regularly and playing pretty heavy minutes until breaking his ankle in early November.

When he was healthy, he was assigned back to the AHL to get back into shape, and then called back up in March and played regularly for the rest of the season.

While it 'looks' like he was only a fringe player because he only played in 20 games that year, that's actually quite misleading because of the injury. He was played a lot when he was up here and probably would have seen 60-70 games of action if he didn't break his ankle.

In any case, the recent hand-wringing about Grabner again is ridiculous. After his 40-game scoring binge in the spring of 2011, he was basically a useless player for the past 5 years and was a cap dump from NYI to Toronto in the summer of 2015, and could barely find a job last summer.

Guy is basically a modern-day Chris Kontos and this will dry up pretty soon. That said, he'd have been a better summer signing than what Benning actually stocked the roster with, obviously.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Also MayRay had outperformed him at the point and was far more deserving of the spot. I don't think we would have been better off having two similar types playing top 6 mins at the time. I'm glad Grabner is doing well again but it's hardly anything to bemoan.

having grabner and raymond as a PK duo would have been awesome... if we didn't already also have kesler, burrows, and hansen on that team.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Guy is basically a modern-day Chris Kontos and this will dry up pretty soon. That said, he'd have been a better summer signing than what Benning actually stocked the roster with, obviously.

Thought he was actually an ok winger when he was on Neilson's (sp?) line with the Islanders (though IMHO, it was Neilson that was the 'straw that stirred the drink' on that line). Not sure what happened - seemed pretty effective for a season or two....

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
Grabner is the best forward the Canucks drafted between Kesler and Horvat.

Think about that.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
Grabner is the best forward the Canucks drafted between Kesler and Horvat.

Think about that.

Yea absolutely atrocious drafting and no luck even. I would add Rodin to peoples thoughts though, i really think he is going to be special and it's a shame/canuck luck that hes still injured

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Between Kesler (2003) and Horvat (2013). The amount of quality forwards we've produced in that time span is pathetic, but Jimson's still wrong.

So many of them had such promising post draft seasons was well. Hodgson's CHL MVP season, Schroeder in the NCAA and WJC, Jensen in the SEL, Cassels in the Memorial Cup, Rodin in the SEL, Shinkaruk in the AHL, Gaunce in the OHL playoffs twice. The only first round pick forwards we've had with really disappointing post-draft seasons (before making the NHL) were Jake and Patrick White.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Imagine the scorn if this guy was putting up these poo numbers in the softest minutes on our backend. Was very surprised he stuck in the nhl this year.

As a 24-26yo with many years of NHL experience that they traded for sure. As a 20yo rookie with just a month or two NHL experience not so much.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland

As a 24-26yo with many years of NHL experience that they traded for sure. As a 20yo rookie with just a month or two NHL experience not so much.

Yep. Ideally he should probably be in the AHL with the odd callup but I believe the situation was NHL or back to Sweden for him. For him to make the team as a 20 year old is an accomplishment itself, but he clearly is not a good NHLer right now. It'll be interesting to see if he can improve as the season progresses or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad