Former Canucks: Players & Management (Kevin Bieksa retirement watch)

Status
Not open for further replies.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
If he makes it or not, Shink is the type of guy you like rooting for. A bit of an underdog, hard worker, and always has a big smile on his face, and just loves the game.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
If he makes it or not, Shink is the type of guy you like rooting for. A bit of an underdog, hard worker, and always has a big smile on his face, and just loves the game.

Yep. Def the type of guy youd want on your team and def not the kind of guy youd trade for the wrong brother

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Ya let's ignore that Nonis skipped on Giroux :laugh:

No one was yelling for Giroux AFAIK, but someone should pull up the 2006 draft thread and find out who people were screaming for. I think it's only fair to rip the GM if a well regarded prospect who fans love goes in the couple picks after. Especially the following pick, such as the case of Perron and Kopitar.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
dMJVTF2.png

vSR5KGL.png

GqeR8Bf.png

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
No one was yelling for Giroux AFAIK, but someone should pull up the 2006 draft thread and find out who people were screaming for. I think it's only fair to rip the GM if a well regarded prospect who fans love goes in the couple picks after. Especially the following pick, such as the case of Perron and Kopitar.

I actually have a strangely coherent memory of that draft. From what I remember combined with looking at hockeydb, The smart analysis of the day (from TSN/Bob McKenzie/etc) was that in no particular order there was the top 5: E.Johnson, J.Staal, Toews, Backstrom Kessel. Then there was a 6-12 group considered roughly equal: Brassard, Okposo, Mueller, Sheppard, Frolik, Little, Tlustly. LA made this a 6-13 group when they took a goalie Jonathan Bernier, so we were unfortunately sitting right outside the good range at #14.

After Toronto did the expected then and took Tlusty, the draft was a huge crap shoot from that point. The next consensus prospect according to TSN would have been Chris Stewart, who I believe was considered something of a safe pick without much upside. So all in all considering the draft field Grabner wasn't a bad pick, but no one would have blinked if we took Claude Giroux in that spot. Like I said after Tlusty went to Toronto it was one big crap shoot.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Grabner was mistreated under Gillis IMO. 30 goal season in the AHL and he didn't get a single game in the NHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad