FORMER Canucks Part |||

Who's situation in leaving the Canucks (Ufa, trade) makes Benning look the most foolish?

• Total voters

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Most LA and Calgary forwards have a decent two-way game unlike ours and it helps defenders.
Tanev and Edler’s numbers came with better defensive forwards here as well. The numbers still sucked. Because the coach sucks.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
cut.jpg

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
On a scale of 1-10 how do you feel about the latest Ex-Canucks?

I think I'm at least a Pat Foley.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Jalen Chatfield looking like a totally serviceable Dman for Carolina.

Schmidt one point off last year's total. Essentially doing what Benning expected OEL to do for the Canucks this year offensively.

Chatfield is another example of terrible development.

This guy looked great in his first camp in 2017 and really looked like we'd found something ... and then through 4 years in Utica simply didn't improve at all. Regressed at times if anything.

Then he signs in a top organization and instantly has a breakout in the AHL and is up in the NHL looking like a solid player. Exact same pattern as Dahlen.

Reactions: timw33

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I'd be happy for Hansen if he got a job with the team in a new administration while also being somewhat disappointed to lose his voice in the media.

It's very rare to have an ex-player this recently removed from the NHL who 'gets it' this well in terms of understanding the game behind the scenes. I actually think his takes are sharper than Bieksa's although Bieksa obviously has more star quality as a TV personality.

Would love to see him replace IMac on the intermission panels and be groomed as the replacement for the 70 y/o Garrett.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018

This guy looked great in his first camp in 2017 and really looked like we'd found something ... and then through 4 years in Utica simply didn't improve at all. Regressed at times if anything.

Then he signs in a top organization and instantly has a breakout in the AHL and is up in the NHL looking like a solid player. Exact same pattern as Dahlen.
Good teams with strong coaching can insulate/hide bad players easier too.

I’m not about to forget what I saw out of Chatfield because the top development organization in the league is squeezing 15+ minutes out of him over 3-4 games.

Dab

Apr 17, 2017
1000 games for Loui can’t believe he’s made it and that it’s in a different jersey!

giphy.gif

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Not everything Carolina touches turns to gold, even with their development track record. They ended up shipping off former 1st rounders that they invested a lot of time with in Fleury and Bean for what is now just a 2nd round pick in Morrow who they won't see for like 3 years.

I do hope that JR reviews the AHL staff as well and looks to make changes there too. Almost nothing has emerged from the A under Benning. That string of nothing from the AHL has not changed through Nonis, Gillis, Benning regimes.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
They ended up shipping off former 1st rounders that they invested a lot of time with in Fleury and Bean for what is now just a 2nd round pick in Morrow who they won't see for like 3 years.

i think the moral is no team is going to hit on all their high picks

carolina had a run of svech, necas, bean, hanifin, fleury, lindholm (hanifin and lindholm became dougie hamilton, adam fox, and… ferland)

similarly, chicago’s bottom out run was ruutu (became ladd), babchuk, seabrook, barker, skille, toews, kane, beach

barker and skille were outright busts, beach was extenuating circumstances

all to say, those two highly successful teams have their own virtanens and OJs. the difference is each had a first rounder every single year they were bad. from 2002 to 2007, chicago had thirteen second rounders. they didn’t all hit but among them were keith, crawford, bolland, and bickell.

vs trading second round picks for linden vey, baertschi, renting toffoli, and as sweeteners for sutter and gudbranson, plus firsts out the door for jt miller and garland/OEL.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Yep. When you trade your picks what you get in return better deliver for the time frame that you bank on. Otherwise only 1 PO with Miller through 3 seasons if they miss this year for a 2019 3rd and 2020 1st is a waste.

plus puts pressure eon hitting on your remaining picks.

florida, has moved a bunch of picks too but they are a top team so they are getting what they dealt those picks for which is present day success, at least in the regular season so far.

Reinhart for a 1st. Bennett for a second and a recently drafted 2nd rounder. Dumped Stralman for a future 2nd. Dumped Connolly for a prior 2nd rounder.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Not everything Carolina touches turns to gold, even with their development track record. They ended up shipping off former 1st rounders that they invested a lot of time with in Fleury and Bean for what is now just a 2nd round pick in Morrow who they won't see for like 3 years.

I do hope that JR reviews the AHL staff as well and looks to make changes there too. Almost nothing has emerged from the A under Benning. That string of nothing from the AHL has not changed through Nonis, Gillis, Benning regimes.

I'll disagree with the bolded.

Our AHL development was off-the-charts good when we were linked with the Manitoba Moose and Craig Heizinger in the 2000s. Like, best in the NHL good. Kesler, Edler, Bieksa, Burrows, Raymond, Hansen, Schneider all during that decade hit the NHL flying after significant time in the AHL.

Things started to go off the rails when we had to go to the Chicago Wolves for a couple years after Winnipeg got their NHL team. That was a terrible situation where our prospects were an afterthought, and the Utica Comets beginning in 2013 were supposed to fix the problem and Gillis had put a lot of resources toward Utica. Unfortunately it was only one season before he was fired, and then Benning fired Lorne Henning and turned Utica to shit just like everything else he touched.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad