FORMER Canucks Part |||

Who's situation in leaving the Canucks (Ufa, trade) makes Benning look the most foolish?

• Total voters

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
Toffoli. First Benning gives up a 2nd rounder and a prospect who was at the time considered one of Vancouver's best prospects for him while the team was slogging along right about at the playoff line. Then after the Canucks got a few games out of him he signed a reasonable contract with the Canadiens, with Toffoli later being quoted that the'd wanted to stay and that he never got an offer from the Canucks.

Then he stars in games against the Canucks.

To me the big thing was paying future assets for Toffoli while the team had no ghost of a chance of winning a championship, then not making a single offer to keep him despite him clearly being one of the team's best forwards. Does this team really think the benefit of trying to make the playoffs (not win a Cup, just get into the postseason) is worth giving future assets for?

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Toffoli. First Benning gives up a 2nd rounder and a prospect who was at the time considered one of Vancouver's best prospects for him while the team was slogging along right about at the playoff line. Then after the Canucks got a few games out of him he signed a reasonable contract with the Canadiens, with Toffoli later being quoted that the'd wanted to stay and that he never got an offer from the Canucks.

Then he stars in games against the Canucks.

To me the big thing was paying future assets for Toffoli while the team had no ghost of a chance of winning a championship, then not making a single offer to keep him despite him clearly being one of the team's best forwards. Does this team really think the benefit of trying to make the playoffs (not win a Cup, just get into the postseason) is worth giving future assets for?
But the playoff experience…It makes players better lol….look at their record side the bubble…lol

Reactions: tyhee

Dab

Apr 17, 2017
384-F6-BD7-A893-4-B26-8-D09-DCCCDE0-B1796.jpg

That feeling when you escape vancouver

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
I kind of read it more like a proud dad keeping tabs on how his son is playing, maybe giving him notes and advice.

i don’t doubt that there’s some him looking out for his boy, but i also imagine he’s enjoying the f out of watching this team be a tire fire.

likash

Apr 17, 2019
It is. If Gillis had simply drafted Myers, Pearson, Paryko, and traded Kesler to the Penguins as rumoured...
If Benning traded Horvat, Brock pick for PK , Lucic as rumored.....or if Liden does not overrule Jimbo to draft Petey as rumored....

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
It's a head-dizzying exercise trying to rate all of Benning's bad deals. Some of them turned out so poorly, you just want to stop thinking about them to preserve your sanity.

But surely letting Tofoli and Tanev walk in the off-season and then signing a journeyman backup goalie for $5m in Holtby; and reupping Virtanen at close to $3m, has to to take the cake. They ended up buying both guys out this off-season.

For the kind of money Benning threw at Holtby and Virtanen; plus their buyout money; he could have brought Tanev and Tofoli back for five years each, with a chunk of change to spare.

I mean does it get any worse than that?

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
It's crazy that this thread is consistently in the top 10 of active threads.

If the Canucks were actually a well run organization, very few of us would pay any attention to how ex-Canucks were currently doing in the NHL.

It's emblematic of just how bad Benning/Acquilini et al have been for this franchise, IMO.

Parts II and III are the top two threads in HFCanucks at the moment!

Reactions: vanuck

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad