For the playoffs? MacKinnon or McDavid

Which one do you take for the playoffs?

• Total voters

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
What separates these 2 in the playoffs is that Mackinnon is far stronger and therefore harder to slow down in the grind that is playoff hockey.
It's why he doesn't seem affected by all the extra attention.

McDavid is the better player, sure, but he seems easier to hold/interfere/clutch/grab/obstruct/push around.
Like it or not, all those things come inherent in playoff hockey.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
McDavid is also suspect in his own zone. Giveaway in game 3 led to game tying goal, giveaway game 4 led to game winning goal. Simply unacceptable.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
If McDavid put up 9 points in 4 games the Oilers are probably still playing hockey.

It’s not hard to see MacKinnon plays a game more suited for the playoffs, he’s bigger, more physical with a better shot.

McDavid’s cute dangles don’t work in the playoffs, the Jets shut down his speed through the neutral zone and he was invisible the whole series.

If Mack puts up 4 points in 4 games, the Blues probably still get swept.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Let's not over think this here, it's clearly McDavid.

How does McD look on Colorado, and vice-versa. He's the best player in the world, you take him every time.

Reactions: woinf

UED

May 2, 2021
if it comes with their current salaries, mackinnon until 2023, if i get to just pick one to add to my team in the playoffs when salary doesnt matter, mcdavid. mcdavid's a lot better but mackinnon makes 6M less than he's worth

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Pretty crazy how the only players ahead of him are Gretzky and Lemieux and/or played in the 80s and early 90s. Even if we take the best playoff performers since 1995 after the same amount of games I'm pretty sure no one else would be ahead of him, including Crosby.
Crosby had 58 points in his first 41 playoff games, in a lower scoring period.

[MOD]

Last edited by a moderator:

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
I love both players but MacKinnon is much more assertive with his dominant play. He will f***ing bowl defenders over while carrying the puck.

McDavid doesn't have the same energy. He'll try and split defenses with his speed but we saw him getting outcompeted on a nightly basis in tight checking games. It's been proven that it's a lot easier to shut down McDavid than MacKinnon in playoffs.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Crosby had 58 points in his first 41 playoff games, in a lower scoring period.

[MOD]

2007-09 were hardly lower scoring than 2014 and 2018-21. You could say they are probably equal or a slight edge to Crosby for going the distance in the playoffs and having the 3rd and 4th round to drag his points per game down.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
What separates these 2 in the playoffs is that Mackinnon is far stronger and therefore harder to slow down in the grind that is playoff hockey.
It's why he doesn't seem affected by all the extra attention.

McDavid is the better player, sure, but he seems easier to hold/interfere/clutch/grab/obstruct/push around.
Like it or not, all those things come inherent in playoff hockey.

Unless McDavid turns things around before his prime goes down the drain it will be tough to consider someone the better player if they are consistently worse in the playoffs. Same reason I do not consider Joe Thornton better than Henrik Zetterberg.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
I don't really think you can argue with the results Mckinnon has put up.
McDavid was quite pedestrian against Winnipeg. not really any other way to put it. Winnipeg's entire game plan revolved around McDavid and it worked. That being said I doubt anyone is forming game plans around Mckinnon to the same extent.

Man I'm so looking forward to the Vegas and Colorado series. If Mckinnon lights up Vegas I'm likely sold. If he turns pedestrian then I won't be so convinced.
Lighting up Vegas is a whole f***ing shit ton different that lighting up that St Louis team.

I also think people should pay some respect to the way Winnipeg played that series. That was fall on a grenade for every play hockey.. hats off.
St Louis did not play that way.. that's for sure.

slobbergob

Apr 29, 2015

How does McD look on Colorado, and vice-versa. He's the best player in the world, you take him every time.

On this year's Colorado McDavid would look spectacular.

Previous 3 seasons versions of Colorado are comparable to the Oilers this season, to varying degrees. Mack still produced.

The argument about linemates is interesting because Drai is universally thought of as a top 2-5 player in the NHL. If you have two top 5 players on a line that should be enough to produce stellar offensive numbers. They've instead been good, not great.

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011

Not when he makes almost twice as much as Mackinnon you don’t. The difference in salaries right now is Landeskog

Reactions: Lemonlimey

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011
What does salary cap/hit have to do with which player you take in the playoffs?
Well I was talking realistically not hypothetically because if Mcdavid is on the avs then his cap hit is there too and the avs don’t have the same team to play with Mcdavid. But if we’re strictly talking playoffs Mcdavid has been pedestrian in his playoff performances so far in his career and Mackinnon is clearly the superior player so I really don’t know how someone doesn’t take the best player in the world which is clearly Mackinnon if we are talking about playoffs alone. There is not one argument that anyone can present to prove that Mcdavid is better than Mackinnon “ in the playoffs “ other than bringing up regular season performances which is not what we are talking about.

Reactions: Garthinater

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
If McDavid was on this Avs team right now he'd be absolutely dominating. He'd have the same amount of points as Mackinnon with half the empty netters.

The reason the topic is interesting is previous post seasons where Mackinnon has been flat out dominant at times on worse Avs teams.

And if MacKinnon was on the Oilers, he wouldn't have been shut out the first two games, and the Oilers don't get swept.

Reactions: Habano and Mbraunm

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Does the Avalanche team come with MacKinnon? Then him, but if we're talking about MacKinnon vs McDavid, it's easily McDavid.

Hockey isn't basketball where you get one of the top 5 players in the league and you're an overnight contender and can make Finals appearances. In hockey, the underdog can win a lot more because a puck can bounce off a couple players and hit their own players ass causing the puck to go into the net. That for all we know could be an iconic game winner.

Luck is a huge part of hockey.

You can't seriously tell me that the Avs wouldn't be where they are if they had McDavid instead of MacKinnon.
I will say I do think Mack is better built for playoff hockey with his skill set and that shows in how he’s performed every time he’s been in the playoffs. But this is correct.

Either McDavid is playing with Drai and the Oilers depth is absolute dog shit. Or they’re separated and playing with guys they have no right to be on a contending teams top 6(outside RNH). I don’t think McDavid had a great game 1 or 2, but he ended the series with 5 points in 4 games which is a fine number for McDavid even if it isn’t mind blowing like we’re used to. Two guys can only do so much in a playoff series. Can’t do much when you have 2 forwards and 2 dman capable of doing much.

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
MacGinnon is the best playoff performer in the history of the NHL. Assuming you don't consider game 7s meaningful. Otherwise that 0-3 record with no points doesn't look so hot.

Reactions: Murzu and Spilot23

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
It was a really disappointing series for McDavid. The whole, “if he’d played on a different team...” argument is garbage. He had no problems producing in the regular season, and oilers fans are always wanting to tell us Draisaitl is the second best player in the world. If they’d lost all their games 6-5, yeah, that’s on the team. Can’t blame the team when they only had 1 goal through 2 games.

It was likely just a 2 game cold streak. It’s just tough to overcome when you only play 4.

Reactions: Garthinater

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
Nate because he's a great two way player not an all speed/offense player like McDavid. I'll take the complete player in the playoffs

Reactions: Mbraunm

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
It's still Mcdavid but very close and nobody else is anywhere near these 2 guys

I mean Draisaitl played better than McDavid this playoffs and won the Hart+Art Ross last year, would say it's at the very least kinda close.

Kucherov got a better regular season peak and a Conn Smythe worthy cup win, also "kinda close".

Reactions: Mbraunm

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad