For the playoffs? MacKinnon or McDavid

Which one do you take for the playoffs?

• Total voters

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I will say I do think Mack is better built for playoff hockey with his skill set and that shows in how he’s performed every time he’s been in the playoffs. But this is correct.

Either McDavid is playing with Drai and the Oilers depth is absolute dog shit. Or they’re separated and playing with guys they have no right to be on a contending teams top 6(outside RNH). I don’t think McDavid had a great game 1 or 2, but he ended the series with 5 points in 4 games which is a fine number for McDavid even if it isn’t mind blowing like we’re used to. Two guys can only do so much in a playoff series. Can’t do much when you have 2 forwards and 2 dman capable of doing much.

McDavid had 4 points. 3 were secondary assists in 1 game and he was a minus player for the series. He definitely did not look like his usual self for any part of the series that I watched.

Reactions: PowerMac

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Mackinnon, the guy elevates his game for the team in the playoffs and not just individual trophies.
For his team? That’s it? Only his team? Does he get series winning assists for the other team like McDavid? Exactly.

woinf

May 25, 2021
Edmonton
It was a really disappointing series for McDavid. The whole, “if he’d played on a different team...” argument is garbage. He had no problems producing in the regular season, and oilers fans are always wanting to tell us Draisaitl is the second best player in the world. If they’d lost all their games 6-5, yeah, that’s on the team. Can’t blame the team when they only had 1 goal through 2 games.

It was likely just a 2 game cold streak. It’s just tough to overcome when you only play 4.

Not to mention Hellybuyck invoked the spirit of prime Hasek in this series.

Oilers out chanced, out graded-a chanced, out shot, out possessed, out shot attempted and won the expected goals margin by a huge margin in this series. The margins were even higher when McDavid was on the ice. Now does this mean the Jets didn't deserve to beat the Oilers? No, not at all, winning via your goalie is a perfectly valid way to win and teams have gone on to win the cup from a MVP level performance from a goalie.

People don't really want to admit this but hockey is way too random to draw meaningful conclusions from in even 30, 40 game sample sizes. Much less a series that extends to 7 at best. Overreacting from running into a hot goalie can set your franchise back years, see the Washington Capitals circa 2010.

woinf

May 25, 2021
Edmonton
Nate because he's a great two way player not an all speed/offense player like McDavid. I'll take the complete player in the playoffs

Show some evidence? McDavid was a relatively average defender based on advanced metrics this season and so was Mackinnon.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Unless you have a crystal ball to see what McDavid can do on the Avs during playoffs, this is rather a useless poll.

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
Show some evidence? McDavid was a relatively average defender based on advanced metrics this season and so was Mackinnon.
We have years of evidence watching the two play and when you do watch those two closely it's clear Nate has the better all around game and Connor is the better offensive player

Reactions: Lemonlimey

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Cutting Through the BS of Playoff Narratives

Mackinnon has a better PDO in the playoffs, I'll give him that lol.

MacKinnon has a better corsi, a higher percentage of his shots get through to the net, higher faceoff win %, more goals, assists, and better +/-. All over a larger sample and starting at the age of 18 he already had 10 points in 7 games on a mediocre team against a good defensive team. I can buy that they are closer than their stats so far appear, I don't buy that McDavid is the player you would rather have in the playoffs so far regardless of who they're playing with or against.

J bo Jeans

Aug 7, 2020
Ottawa
Heres the real question. Is Edmonton a better team with Mackinnon instead of the Mcdavid and vice versa for the Avs? Here's a hint The Avs get better the Oilers don't.

Reactions: User9992

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Heres the real question. Is Edmonton a better team with Mackinnon instead of the Mcdavid and vice versa for the Avs? Here's a hint The Avs get better the Oilers don't.
9 points for MacKinnon in 4 games, 4 for McDavid, simple math says MacKinnon is the better player and he doesn’t turn the puck over to lose games.

EdmFlyersfan

Feb 20, 2007
Edmonton

Maybe for the regular season that is true, but with Mackinnon Oilers beat the Hawks last year and the Jets this year and win more playoff series.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
The Avs are a top 3 team in the league without Mackinnon lol.
No one is arguing that, which is why they won the President’s Trophy and swept the first round. It’s irrelevant Colorado is the deeper team when McDavid is glued to Draisaitl all series.

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
McDavid is also suspect in his own zone. Giveaway in game 3 led to game tying goal, giveaway game 4 led to game winning goal. Simply unacceptable.

Suspect in his own zone.....the giveaway in game 4 was in the offensive zone lol (and there's no such thing as an offensive zone giveaway).

It's McDavid for me as an Avs fan, best offensive player in a couple decades and it's not like he's bad defensively or Mac is some selke winner. One thing I will say though is McDavid's playmaking instincts are better than his goal scoring which is an issue when your teammate has only one other guy capable of scoring at a 30 goal pace lol.

Give McDavid Rantanen/Lando or even Saad and Bura as linemates rather than just Draisitl and he's putting up points all day.

Reactions: Messrules11

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Suspect in his own zone.....the giveaway in game 4 was in the offensive zone lol (and there's no such thing as an offensive zone giveaway).

It's McDavid for me as an Avs fan, best offensive player in a couple decades and it's not like he's bad defensively or Mac is some selke winner. One thing I will say though is McDavid's playmaking instincts are better than his goal scoring which is an issue when your teammate has only one other guy capable of scoring at a 30 goal pace lol.

Give McDavid Rantanen/Lando or even Saad and Bura as linemates rather than just Draisitl and he's putting up points all day.
Uh what lol. Of course there’s such thing as an offensive zone giveaway. Ever heard the phase put pucks in deep? Hockey 101.

His D were changing and he turned it over and created the gwg.

Chef de Cuisine

Mar 15, 2015
McDavid, though recent events make it close. Still have to go with the better player and believe that he'll turn it up, whenever that may be..

Reactions: User9992

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad