Post-Game Talk: For the first time... 100 points! 3-2 Jets

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
People probably won't agree with me but as a former somewhat of a goalie , games like yesterday are hard to play . Helly went long stretches with nothing to do , it's hard to get a feel for the game and he hadn't played for quite a few days . I don't get the give him a rest thing unless he gets hammered with shots and zone time like Gibson did last night .

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
I feel there is allot different lately. He is “getting it” now which is allowing him to not think and just react. He has learned how to use his speed and length which makes it’s harder for the defender to take the puck from him. He is figuring out how to find the soft spots and present himself as a target for passes.

He is starting to look like the Laine of the playoffs in Finland the year they won.

There was one play that really stood out for me a while back when I new the game was slowing down for him. Chairot was carrying the puck up his side of the ice and there was some line changing and Laine Was on the opposite side of the ice and rather than just wait and enter the zone on the right wing he skated all the way acrosss strait sideways parallel to the attacking blue line and fell in behind Chairot who crossed the blue line and pushed the D back with his speed Then drop passed off the boards to Laine who was free to walk in a snipe. I remember thinking how smart and creative it was and going........holy Christ this is happening isn’t it.

Very accurate ps241 and I agree. Also: His passing skills are mad, he put some full length cross ice passes last night that could not be defended; his ability in passing is way beyond my expectations.

Playing style: I've watched Laine so often this year that I can ID him instantly on the ice without seeing his number. His skating and puck movement are fluid, unique.

As an aside, all my kids are swimmers, and I have spent hundreds of hours watching them train, and can pick each one out of a herd of 30 due to their individual styles.

Ms. Kanadalainen suggested that perhaps I'm watching too much hockey. :laugh:

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I've seen enough Perrault and Little. To feel bad when we lose someone young like Connor for them.
And why would you think we'd be forced to lose Connor over them? Connor has 5 years of team control after this season. Some players may need to be bridged to hold on to a veteran supporting group, but every veteran is movable before we need to risk losing a member of the younger core.

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
100 points is fantastic , well above my expectations this year , well done Jets . I just hoped we proved everyone wrong and snuck in the playoffs . Speaking of playoffs , if i hear one more person say , ya but try winning one game of a playoff series first , I'm gonna freak-out . That 2015 Jets team was a AHL team compared to this seasons team . We will make some noise in the playoffs this time , no doubt about it . :nod:

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
I get you, and respect the intervention, but I wonder if we are now approaching “narrative of a narrative”” meta territory

Alright, you know what, that's fair enough. Deep AF, but fair enough. If nothing else, in 2 weeks time, you won't hear a peep out of me about it :P but until then I might have to change my name to "alphalackey statsprofessor"

The explanation for this is simple. The Ducks are an ageing powerhouse team, with a strong tradition of success.

This is coming to an end.

This game was embarrassing for the Ducks, and their media. The Ducks have owned the Jets for years, but those days are gone.

Its a changing of the guard, but the old sensibilities associated with lots of winning has a psychological momentum. Denial and wacky theories to compensate are nothing new IMHO.

Absolutely correct. I mean, haven't we already warmed up to "the changing of the guard" when Detroit missed the playoffs last (and this) year, and Chicago just did this year.

The times, they are a-changin'

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
About Maurice: Maybe the man deserves some credit ? To his credit he seems like he has learned to be flexible in his approach to the game. There hasn't really been a lineup decision that baffled me this year. It could just be the players are way better so the team is way better, effect of the coach is hard to quantify. Maybe Mo finally has a good team to work with. Dunno
Agreed. Just maybe Mo deserves some credit? I find it interesting that outsiders are praising the Jets ability to suppress shots while at the same time we have such a young and offensively talented team that can score in bunches. And you add in how every player on the roster has completely bought in and his command of the room is unquestioned. IMO a lot of thinks are going right to not include the coach when handing out credit.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
As I recall when the summer was coming to a close and we were still stinging from another disappointing season I might have predicted that we would get between 103-105 points and we would finish 2nd in our division. :popcorn:

Slowly reaches around to pat his own back as his wife tells him to get off the computer.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Agreed. Just maybe Mo deserves some credit? I find it interesting that outsiders are praising the Jets ability to suppress shots while at the same time we have such a young and offensively talented team that can score in bunches. And you add in how every player on the roster has completely bought in and his command of the room is unquestioned. IMO a lot of thinks are going right to not include the coach when handing out credit.

Mo has definitely outperformed his past history, no doubt about it. Is it possible he's improved as a head coach (after all, at age 51, he's still a young buck)? Sure. So many other players have completely ameliorated and are now at a whole new level.

One thing for sure, when I hear Todd McLellan say things like "Kris Russell is great", "analytics are for nerds" and "the best analytics are a pair of eyes", I know Maurice is in at least 30th place :P

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
As I recall when the summer was coming to a close and we were still stinging from another disappointing season I might have predicted that we would get between 103-105 points and we would finish 2nd in our division. :popcorn:

Slowly reaches around to pat his own back as his wife tells him to get off the computer.

When we get 106 there's a double sized Grinning Chevy with your name on it :P

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Seldom stats line full of zeros for Laine feels so good than it does this morning.

First I checked his TOI, and then I thought that everything is fine. :)

Kyle "Farmboy" Connor is now my official Spare-Laine too, joining to Ehlers who has hold that spot in my heart before. How many teams can boast with this magnitude of goals scoring from these young guys. Not many, I think (without checking). Not even in historical inspection.

GJG!
IMO Connor has now proved enough to firmly established himself as a must keep part of the young core group. Chevy will need to get creative but keeping Scheifele, Laine, Ehlers, Connor, Morrissey, Trouba and Helly together through their primes might just get us a few cups. Maybe add in Roslovic but he still needs that big jump season IMO.

Jack722

Mar 3, 2018
Doesn't matter if you are outstanding, but don't put it on the board, ask Perreault...Laine's hot streak officially over

I doubt Laine will start suddenly playing badly. Him being outstanding bodes well. Who cares if he doesn't score in some particular game.

Last edited:

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013

I predicted a presidents trophy. It's still possible though unlikely. I'll end up a lot closer though, than those who predicted another miserable season

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
I predicted a presidents trophy. It's still possible though unlikely. I'll end up a lot closer though, than those who predicted another miserable season

Pretty sure Hellebuyck was supposed to be .903 or something by now.

And while the President's Trophy probably ain't gonna happen, Nashville's still got a Magic Number of 5 to get the division, and that ain't exactly a sure thing, just sayin'...

Reactions: Jack722 and Jets 31

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
IMO Connor has now proved enough to firmly established himself as a must keep part of the young core group. Chevy will need to get creative but keeping Scheifele, Laine, Ehlers, Connor, Morrissey, Trouba and Helly together through their primes might just get us a few cups. Maybe add in Roslovic but he still needs that big jump season IMO.

Indeed. What the positive problem to have. At worst there are high value assets waiting to be liquidated/changed for other high value assets and promises of future, at best it could be the core of Stanley cup winning team.

In retrospect, Chevy appears being genius.

Reactions: ps241

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg

Ok now you have to come to my house and clean up the coffee i just spit out laughing at your post . :biglaugh:

Jack722

Mar 3, 2018
OR, given that any changes to our 3v3 OT decisions have impact measurable in tenths of a point in expected value, our luck may just be evening out. After all, "the usual suspects" all got a shift before Connor scored the winner.

Also as pointed out above, the thing being cited as "the cause of all our woes" happened again (1+ minute long shifts by Wheeler et al.). Just as they've happened every game since "The Narrative" started. Yet we're now 4-2 in OT since then.

Edit let me rephrase:

I DO think that there was a problem before with long OT shifts by our captains... as well as some players not seeming to understand OT very well, and playing too much of a high risk game. It seems our personnel decisions are better, and lo and behold look who's getting the goals. I also like how our captains were split up, because they were responsible for a lot of bad OT play.

I think we have looked way better in OT and the results have followed suit. Not sure how much of it has to do with 'variance' or randomness.

Last edited:

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Ok i predicted we would sneek into the playoffs , probably .... maybe . Very proud of myself . :laugh:

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
So, is it time to scratch Laine now? 2 games in a row without points, Maurice need to send a strong message..........

:P

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
When Frenchie went down early this year, isn't it weird to think that at the time we were so upset but it might be the single biggest positive event for us this year? Of course, Connor's replacement on the top line would have produced, but the way that this kid has played, and the big goals he's scored? Oh boy! Realistically, he probably would have been called up soon after anyway, but its really crazy to think about.

I REALLY liked Chiarot and Morrow last night. Sorry, I did. I thought they were aggressive, and especially Chiarot just seems to be following this steep development curve. He is turning into a really good all-round defenseman. Even Morrow was playing with confidence and made some great plays. It's a shame he was partially at fault for the second goal - I know some on here won't get past that and see that he had a pretty great game.

I hate that the Ducks got a point last night - they deserved f*** all. Man, if we had Gibson and Helle? Might as well just give us the cup :)

Anyone worried the Ducks would sweep us this year? :D

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

You also called for Vegas to be really good and make the playoffs and nobody but you was slinging that before the season started.

Reactions: sipowicz

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Pretty sure Hellebuyck was supposed to be .903 or something by now.

And while the President's Trophy probably ain't gonna happen, Nashville's still got a Magic Number of 5 to get the division, and that ain't exactly a sure thing, just sayin'...

Magic number for Nashville to clinch the division is 11.

Jets max points 116

And most likely the Jets would get the tie breaker so they need to finish ahead in points.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
You also called for Vegas to be really good and make the playoffs and nobody but you was slinging that before the season started.

They are better than predicted. I picked them to be the second wild card and be our first round opponent.

Jack722

Mar 3, 2018
People probably won't agree with me but as a former somewhat of a goalie , games like yesterday are hard to play . Helly went long stretches with nothing to do , it's hard to get a feel for the game and he hadn't played for quite a few days . I don't get the give him a rest thing unless he gets hammered with shots and zone time like Gibson did last night .

We basically did give Helle a rest last night :P

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad