Post-Game Talk: For the first time... 100 points! 3-2 Jets

Packofwolves

Nov 5, 2017
who would we trade him for if we could trade him for any Nhl player.
I can't think of anybody.
Laine.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Yep. Or Helly. Or Tanev. Or Patty or O Connor! It's pretty remarkable.
I'd separate guys we knew were real good and are developing into stars (Patty and Connor). IE. normal progression and players thought to be **** by many but actually turned out to be pretty effective players (Chiarot & Tanev).

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Its funny to think back to the preseason and listening to 1290 and the narrative they all had was "OK, the Jet's will likely be a better team this year, but if they are going to get into the dance somebody else has to fall off. Which of the perennial playoff teams is going to drop out to make room for us??" I just thought that was a totally goofy way of looking at it. I even tweeted the BS guys a couple times. As I saw it, if we are a better team, we will win more games. If we win more games, somebody else has to lose more games. Who that is doesn't matter - all that matters is that we win enough to get 96 or so points because that likely gets us a spot. In the end, several perennials have dropped off - because other teams like us have gotten better than them. That's how it works...
I couldn't agree more and it drove me crazy as well. It was totally irrational and was spearheaded by Westwood. Teams flow up and down all the time and often it happens quickly.

Reactions: kittiecarlyle

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
I couldn't agree more and it drove me crazy as well. It was totally irrational and was spearheaded by Westwood. Teams flow up and down all the time and often it happens quickly.

I predicted Chicago and St Louis to drop off.

Chicago did way too much weird stuff in the offseason and St Louis had traded away Shattenkirk in the previous deadline

Robinson2187

Registered Schmoozer
Nov 22, 2015
Comox BC
There is an article online somewhere back from Chevy’s Chicago Wolves days with a quote saying “ Chevy is the smartest hockey man I ever met”. Quote was from the Wolves owner Don Levin I believe.
I reckon his cap management over the next few seasons will be what pushes him into elite GM territory. He has all the other tools IMO.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Are you purposefully searching for bad things in a dominant performance? :scared:

Even slightly injured, I thought he played a pretty damned good game, and there were 5-6 really good moments that overshadow this single data point.
Some really wobbly logic there. Laine didn't let a sore leg derail his fine play of the past few weeks. He is starting to attack the net again and is pulling out the toe drags more and more (IMO for the first time since his concussion).

As for the suggestion that we've already somehow lost young players like Connor because Little and Perreault are in the lineup? I feel like we're getting trolled. :laugh:

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
I didn't ignore it. I mentioned it. I'm not diminishing anything. They got in - barely...and they lost four straight games. Just the facts. How one chooses to interpret that is entirely up to them. My point was that this season has been a much different and generally more enjoyable ride, that's all
Yes, it was a sweep 4 games but the games were close ... they did not get blown out.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
It was never hard to quantify when they were losing.
Giving credit where credit is due should be just as simple as hammering him when they are playing poorly.
He's done a ton to get this young team playing a solid, consistent game at both ends of the ice - that's on the coach.
Having this team amongst the leaders in offense is due to the supreme talent we have (Chevy). Being top 5 defensively with a young skilled group and an oft injured defense, that's all Pomo and his assistants.

Reactions: DarthMonty

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Yes, it was a sweep 4 games but the games were close ... they did not get blown out.

yeah. I know. I watched all 4 games. No doubt about it, we accomplished the task of getting into the playoffs and not getting blown out in the four straight games we lost in the first round.

Reactions: Board Bard

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Considering half the team including its goaltender #1 LHD #1 #2 and #3 top goal scorers were pretty much in high school... Im not sure What going on about a ducks series years ago accomplishes? Memories i guess? Cuz that team is 75 to 80 percent different today .

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
yeah. I know. I watched all 4 games. No doubt about it, we accomplished the task of getting into the playoffs and not getting blown out in the four straight games we lost in the first round.

This stuff is obviously all very individual as far as memories. Personally what I loved most about making the playoffs that year was that it gave all 82 games of the season real value. The last few seasons the games after mid January lacked much meaning to me and that really sucks. As far as the playoffs went that year I loved breaking out the white gear and being at that first playoff game. Honestly right up until the moment we lost in OT I was fully engaged in the series. Once we lost that game I was gutted.

Looking back on the season I have found memories because of some of the firsts. Moving forward a have a more serious appetite for wins. This season has been a blast but I want to do better when we are big game hunting. We have the talent now to have a few years here when we have a real shot.

Last edited:

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Been super impressed by chariot and morrow showing that maybe Chevy is smarter than us. Ppl were really raging on the morrow deal on here.

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
First I've heard him referred to as Nuts. Is this a locker room nickname, something borrowed from St. Louis or your own personal pseudonym for him?

Stasnuts I'm assuming is the joke?:huh:

Pauly walnuts... I guess it's from the mob show. He said it in his interview when he first came over

I use it because it doesn't get autocorrected

SoCalJetsFan

Sponsor
Oct 5, 2015
Temecula, CA
This is pretty funny:

gameShots-2018-03-23-2017021149-ANAatWPG.png
This shows how important goalies are, Gibson was heartbeat away from stealing this lopsided affair.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
This stuff is obviously all very individual as far as memories. Personally what I loved most about making the playoffs that year was that it gave all 82 games of the season real value. The last few seasons the games after mid January felt lacked much meaning to me and that really sucks. As far as the playoffs went that year I loved breaking out the white gear and being at that first playoff game. Honestly right up until the moment we lost in OT I was fully engaged in the series and all it. Once we lost that game I was gutted.

Looking back on the season I have found memories because of some of the firsts. Moving forward a have a more serious appetite for wins. This season has been a blast but I want to do better when we are big game hunting. We have the talent now to have a few years here when we have a real shot.

Of course. I never intended to diminish the accomplishment of that season. Actually, I never really even meant to get into any sort of discussion of that. I was just contrasting the drastic difference between this season and the struggles of previous seasons where even the one "successful" season was a grind to the last game. It was awesome to be able to get the couple of whiteout games in, but really the goal is to get a little further than that and I think it was pretty apparent when all was said and done that that team wasn't going to get very far. This year, things look a little different...

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
The great thing about this win to me--is it shows the Jet's can just play with, and totally dominate a team like the Ducks. They really could have closed down the Jet's defensive end, because the game was mostly played in the Ducks defensive end. We totally outshot them, by about a 3-1 margin, and also hit 2 posts. We could have easily had 2-3 more goals, but their Goalie saved them. He must have spent about 3 hours after the game, scrubbing the rubber marks off his helmet--to keep it shiny.

We totally outshot them --and embarrassed them. I really think we'll take on Nashville next game as well, and show our dominance in the league. I think a lot of people are still not believers, but this team is very "for real."

If you look at "scoring". Defense, and Goaltending --is their any reason why we cannot go all the way --there shouldn't be.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Despite not getting any points Laine was so ON tonight.
He looked really good, even better then some of his two goal performances.
The CSW line also was really good.
PCL did their part to keep the pressure on, something will go in for Perreault soon.

So strange to dominate two games back to back yet need OT in each to win.
Onto the "Perds".

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Of course. I never intended to diminish the accomplishment of that season. Actually, I never really even meant to get into any sort of discussion of that. I was just contrasting the drastic difference between this season and the struggles of previous seasons where even the one "successful" season was a grind to the last game. It was awesome to be able to get the couple of whiteout games in, but really the goal is to get a little further than that and I think it was pretty apparent when all was said and done that that team wasn't going to get very far. This year, things look a little different...

Playoffs are always a coin toss but this Jets team is much more talented than the previous playoff team. Now we have to prove it on the ice and I am looking forward to that challenge.

Reactions: GNP

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad