Post-Game Talk: For the first time... 100 points! 3-2 Jets

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
I dunno, I think we looked really bad in OT. It seemed obvious that we were taking overlong shifts and didn't really seem to understand how OT worked or how to play it, and we were getting burned for it over and over.

I do agree that it's not a huge deal.. OT wins/losses don't matter that much and there's for sure tons of variance.

BUT... there is variance like that throughout hockey, in 5 on 5 as well, and you could look at any given thing anybody was complaining about at any time - bad pinch by Buff, Myers made the wrong pass there, Laine and Little have bad chemistry - and say "the impact of this particular thing is statistically insignificant". I don't understand the point of doing that though; it's fun to break down the good and bad of a game and moan occasionally about things we could improve. And if you don't constantly improve (which all 31 teams do) then you'll quickly find that 'statistical variance' starts becoming a little more lopsided, and not in your favour.

I do agree though that we were unlucky in our first OT's and though we didn't look great, luck definitely wasn't going our way and it was far from a 'sky is falling' situation. BUT, I do think the OT has tangibly improved to my eye.

Well sure, there's definitely variance throughout hockey, and in fact any sport. In fact, at the end of the game, every game you won, you got lucky (to a degree) and every game you lost, you got unlucky (to a degree), because you just can't win a fractional part of a game. Of course, good teams "need less good luck" to win, which is why as luck evens out, you get a closer view of where teams stand.

But you may recall after the bad start to 3v3 OT, word had gotten out that the Jets didn't practice 3v3 OT much, and this was seen as some gross dereliction of duty on the coaching staff's part. People were (and still are) speaking in terms of "point*S*" (plural) that the Jets have left behind because of this. And this is where the point of mentioning the "impact" comes up. If I could snap my fingers and use my magic power to ensure the Jets had the same luck they've had so far, but instead they were the best 3v3 OT team in the league all season, the difference would be measured in tenths of a point in the standings. The equivalent of 1 or 2 more regulation time goals throughout a year. Could an outside observer have determined that from the hand-wringing that was going on? Not too likely.

So yeah, we've definitely improved. But for all the much better our 3v3 OT looks, our chances of winning a game that goes into OT have only gone up a couple percent. All in all, when you're looking to make improvements, 3v3 OT is just not a vein with much ore to mine. It's only 5 minutes, and if nothing happens, it goes to a shootout which is even MORE of a coin toss. I think Maurice knows that, and the relatively low priority of 3v3 I see as a sign he knows whereof he speaks on the issue, not a sign of his dunderheaded incompetence.

alphalackey statsprofessor

Reactions: Jack722

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
No. It makes no difference in either playoffs or draft seeding.

It does matter if we face them in the conference final

Stanley Cup Playoffs format, qualification system

Home-ice advantage through the first two rounds goes to the team that placed higher in the regular-season standings. In the Conference Final and Stanley Cup Final, home-ice advantage goes to the team that had the better regular-season record, regardless of the teams' final standing in their respective divisions.

kittiecarlyle

Nov 1, 2016
It does matter if we face them in the conference final

Stanley Cup Playoffs format, qualification system

Home-ice advantage through the first two rounds goes to the team that placed higher in the regular-season standings. In the Conference Final and Stanley Cup Final, home-ice advantage goes to the team that had the better regular-season record, regardless of the teams' final standing in their respective divisions.
Thanks for yet again correcting a post with inaccurate information. :)

ocdaddy

Nov 3, 2013
Winnipeg
it's just semantics, but Connor would get $5ish if you're using Ehlers as a watermark
Even if he has more points next year than Ehlers?... not so sure about that. I see Chicago-esque cap issues on the horizon. Or maybe he'll get a bridge deal.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Even if he has more points next year than Ehlers?... not so sure about that. I see Chicago-esque cap issues on the horizon. Or maybe he'll get a bridge deal.
The only way around that is to sign him this offseason. Having only one full season in the NHL he can't command Ehler-like money yet.

kittiecarlyle

Nov 1, 2016
We all need to remember even with a couple key mistakes Chicago won Cups after they had to severly manage their cap.

Not easy, but a team can continue to be a real factor and serious contender and win while having had to make tough decisions.

Reactions: ocdaddy

Georgetown Al

I’m back...
Aug 8, 2017
We all need to remember even with a couple key mistakes Chicago won Cups after they had to severly manage their cap.

Not easy, but a team can continue to be a real factor and serious contender and win while having had to make tough decisions.

Chevys planning for it...

Reactions: ocdaddy

ocdaddy

Nov 3, 2013
Winnipeg
The only way around that is to sign him this offseason. Having only one full season in the NHL he can't command Ehler-like money yet.

Good call.

I see Perreault and possibly Myers coming off the books to free up space. 4th line Jesus is a luxary we can no longer afford.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad