Nigeria are the Cinderella team of 2018

Italy, Holland, Ireland, USA & Chile all qualify for 2022

Ibrahimovic signs with MLS
Man, you were on a roll until the last one :D

Reactions: Elliman

Ceremony

Very Online Guy... perusing the forums
Jun 8, 2012
I'm really happy that this forum records so much of what was said. Not even referring to silly statements/arguments from other posters (though it is helpful, because when you go back after having learned a lot and re-read some of the debates or information brought forth you can learn even more). When I came to this forum I thought I knew a lot about soccer relative to the average person, but I've learned so much since then and still have a lot to learn. It's humbling to say the least, and while this particular thread isn't the only example of things that have changed my mind or taught me a lot it's the one I have been reading recently that made me think about that stuff. Obviously I still have a lot to learn and there will always be more to learn but I shudder at some of the things that I've said or thought in the past. I hope moving forward I can be more open minded (rather than just digging in against certain viewpoints and well thought out posts, particularly by @Stray Wasp and sometimes @Deficient Mode without digesting the information they were trying to bring to light).

Sorry for the late likes; I just enjoyed the read.

Cheers.
Don't apologise, it's always nice reading factually accurate things you said a while ago.

Reactions: YNWA14

JayKing

Go Habs Go
Dec 30, 2011
Montreal
Marquinhos and Umtiti are top 10 CB in the world. Rabiot is getting closer and closer to being an elite CM. Koke & Godin are overrated.
Jury is still out for my takes except for Godin, clearly established himself as a top 3 CB. I was so wrong about him

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Not sure you were wrong.
Godin plays in defensive systems and they make CB look good.
Make no mistake, he's a great CB. But the systems helps him look better than he is (that goes for possession systems like City and KDB)/Sterling/etc...).

Reactions: les Habs

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Hot takes

United win the league & make CL semis

Russia spectacularly crash out in the first round

Bale leaves Madrid

Ozil signs with United or Bayern

Sanchez signs with Madrid or one of the Milan’s

Portugal win the WC

Nigeria are the Cinderella team of 2018

Italy, Holland, Ireland, USA & Chile all qualify for 2022

Ibrahimovic signs with MLS

Lot of these aged "well" but the prospect of Özil signing with Bayern aged in an especially funny way that you couldn't predict.

Elliman

Jun 29, 2016
New York
Lot of these aged "well" but the prospect of Özil signing with Bayern aged in an especially funny way that you couldn't predict.

Only way that post would have gotten much worse was if I predicted Ozil would lead Germany to a WC championship and be welcomed home a hero lol

Oh well.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Milan finally make CL.
How many spots is it for Serie A? Three or four? Juve, Inter (easily), and Roma are the top 3 for me. Sure Roma might've gotten worst off in losing Alisson and Nainggolan, but I still like the moves they made (plus they got cash now to replace them). If it's four spots then it comes down to Napoli, Lazio, and Milan and not sure that Milan can beat Lazio.

My hot-take is that Lazio makes the CL, which might not be that big of a hot-take. Whatever the case maybe, the Serie A should be insanely interesting this year after Juventus because I also like what Torino is building as well.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
How many spots is it for Serie A? Three or four? Juve, Inter (easily), and Roma are the top 3 for me. Sure Roma might've gotten worst off in losing Alisson and Nainggolan, but I still like the moves they made (plus they got cash now to replace them). If it's four spots then it comes down to Napoli, Lazio, and Milan and not sure that Milan can beat Lazio.

My hot-take is that Lazio makes the CL, which might not be that big of a hot-take. Whatever the case maybe, the Serie A should be insanely interesting this year after Juventus because I also like what Torino is building as well.
They'll win Europa league imo

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos

4 spots but people are overlooking Napoli right now.

Juve looks good, but I still think their right side is suspect and subject to getting exposed defensively. This should be their hardest competition in Serie in 8 years (on paper).
Inter brought in quality players and are looking for one more major signing (Modric, Kovacic or Gundogan).
Roma should be fine, at least as good as last season.

Thing is, people are overlooking Lazio and Napoli.
Napoli isn't suddenly going to be trash with Sarri gone, they'll still be good, still be competitive. And Lazio lost a couple of important players, but brought in some quality players as well.

Milan is still forming their new identity, their new core.
I don't see them making the CL next season.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Doubt Napoli challenges for the title. Same for Roma.
Juventus' only competition is if Inter signs Modric and their team suddenly turns into something.

For now, Juve has it easy.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Doubt Napoli challenges for the title. Same for Roma.
Juventus' only competition is if Inter signs Modric and their team suddenly turns into something.

For now, Juve has it easy.

I didn't necessarily mean Napoli will challenge Juve (last year was their best shot IMO), but they should definitely be above Milan.

I think you're right though, whether Inter can challenge them depends on another signing (if it's Modric they can challenge, if it's Kovacic or Gundogan, they can be at least serious about it). Without another serious midfielder they're a decent team, but not quite on Juve's level.

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
I agree with Evilo, Juve have to be considered comfortable favourites. Their backups alone could probably challenge for a CL spot in Serie A, it's just the reality of the situation.

Inter have been declared the winners of the summer mercato for 3 straight seasons , and only last year actually made top 4 , and it took an epic collapse by Lazio on the last day of the season for it to happen. I won't lie, I've liked quite a few of their signings (especially Lautaro M), but I don't think it's a forgone conclusion they're the 2nd best team in the league. This will be the first year they've had to deal with CL under the new regime, let's see how their domestic campaign can handle it. Spalletti is also a loose cannon.

I honestly think Napoli may struggle to even get top 4. That roster isn't as good as people think it is. Sarri was just that brilliant. We'll see how it goes , but I'm pretty apprehensive about their chances at top 4 , let alone their titles hopes.

Roma should be top 4 and potentially more if our kids improve and contribute. Our starters are all veterans that are capable of achieving top 4 - they are the basement- the kids are the ceiling. We go as they go if we actually want to mount a serious title challenge. Roma's veteran players aren't good enough to beat Juventus over the course of 38 games , that's just the truth. The highly rated youth Monchi has brought in have to move the needle. Cristante, Lo. Pellegrini, Karsdorp, Lu.Pellegrini, Coric, Schick, Kluivert and Under dictate just how high the ceiling can be. Also , I wouldn't be surprised if we bring in a couple more signings before the end of the window. N'Zonzi and Dennis Man being rumoured to be very, very close at this point.

Lazio has held onto SMS and made a few prudent moves , I wouldn't count them out. It's an odd collection of talent, but Inzaghi has them playing a great brand of offensive football, and they squeeze every penny out of their signings. Immobile and Lucas Leiva , for example. As much as I dislike them , it's a well run club, and that can go a long way in football sometimes (Serie A in particular).

That leaves Milan , who have a ton of things they need to fix, but have a good young nucleus to work with. I think they likely need a year to clean up the deadwood , and fix the issues left by previous ownership. But I must say I've been impressed so far , so maybe they'll surprise me this year. And I I wouldn't be surprised to see Antonio Conte brought in sometime this season.

Fiorentina/Atalanta are probably the other two contenders for top 6 , and both boast great collections of young talent, but no genuine threat for a Champions League spot, imo.

Reactions: Evilo

Elliman

Jun 29, 2016
New York
EPL
1. Utd
2. Chelsea
3. City
4. Liverpool
5. Arsenal
6. Spurs

CL
Winners: Bayern or PSG

La Liga
1. Ath Madrid
2. Barca
3. Real

Serie A
1. Juve
2. Inter
3. Milan

Ceremony

Very Online Guy... perusing the forums
Jun 8, 2012
English football peaked when Leicester won the league. It will never produce anything as interesting again unless the money bubble bursts, and until that point it should hold no interest for anyone outside the country.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->