Footballing Hot Takes

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Joseph Gomez will be a top 5 defender in the world.

I stand by this.

As much as van Dijk brings to the table, and I've watched him for a long time (and have Dutch bias), Gomez can be better.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
First comment is acceptable, can see that happening. He is also very fun to watch because a defender that young shouldn't be so composed.

Second one nope. No way. If VVD didn't have a yellow we wouldn't even be talking about Firmino's goal as he would have mugged the ball away from them on PSG's second. VVD also has a passing and offensive talent that Gomez does not have.

Last edited:

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
He is better than van Dijk was at the same age, and has a rare combination of composure, athleticism and a great environment for learning. Only he can dictate how much he grows of course, but while he doesn't make a ton of 'hollywood' passes he's better at breaking the lines than van Dijk is, and is better at resisting pressure (he's a better ball carrier by a decent margin). It's not a slight at van Dijk who I obviously rate quite highly, but as a centreback Gomez has a higher ceiling and I think he'll reach it.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Grosso didn't dive vs. Australia. Just re-watched the clip and the Australian defender clips his elbow deliberately onto Grosso's left shin. For the longest of time, I berated/hated Grosso for this, but it's legit.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
From 1950 until 2006, Brazil always had the better players in the world, not always the best team.

I'm not sure, I guess you could say that Pele and his cohorts were the best players, but that said, it's hard to see any of them doing that much better in Europe over the likes of Di Stefano, Puskas, Eusebio, Stanley Matthews, Lev Jashin etc. Personally, I'd prefer Europeans.

In the 1970's after Pele's heydays were over, I definitely think Europe had the better players in Cruyff, Beckenbauer Muller etc. and better teams as well. In the 1980's in was pretty equal, e.g. Brazil WC'82 and '86 teams had some of the best individuals in the world compared to Europeans, but as a team European NT's and especially clubs were better overall throughout the decade.

And this was even more emphasized in the 1990's when the money really started to flow into the European football and thanks to internet/widespread television it became easier for everybody to compare players from all over the world. Even if Brazil still had some of the very best individuals, I would say that their teams actually became "better" (even if less entertaining and certainly less exotic/different) thanks to European influence for their players and coaches. It depends on a number of players you want to concentrate on, but generally speaking, outside of a handful of individuals at most, I don't think Brazil had the best players in any larger sample.

In the 21st century, I don't see much difference from Brazilian top players to other countries, though. They're all in the same mix.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
You disagree? My argument is that Ederson only plays at City because of his distribution and not because he's world class. He is a Real Betis calibre goalkeeper if we're talking about overall goalkeeping ability alone. But because he can kick the ball half of the field, Pep wanted him.

Foster is super underrated.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
You disagree? My argument is that Ederson only plays at City because of his distribution and not because he's world class. He is a Real Betis calibre goalkeeper if we're talking about overall goalkeeping ability alone. But because he can kick the ball half of the field, Pep wanted him.

Foster is super underrated.

I mean I think Ederson is overrated but he’s still capable of playing for a top team. I just don’t think he’s a elite or world class keeper.

And foster has been somewhat underrated for his career but he’s definitely not in the Ederson/2nd tier of goalies in the world imo.

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
Wow, I can't get over just how hot that Ederson take was. Jesus.

PSG will never win Champion’s League with Neymar.

I like it.

Romagnoli is world class and up there with Chiellini for the best Italian CB.

Not sure about that. I need a bigger sample size and to see Romagnoli boss in some big games outside of Italy , first. I probably take the "world class" label a little too seriously , though.

Last edited:

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
Ryan Giggs = overrated

Beckham= underrated

I think Giggs was underrated at his peak, then retrospectively overrated; Beckham the opposite.

Their utterly different styles beautifully complemented one another on opposite flanks of the four-man Manchester United midfield that enjoyed such success in the nineties' second half.

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
I think Giggs was underrated at his peak, then retrospectively overrated; Beckham the opposite.

Their utterly different styles beautifully complemented one another on opposite flanks of the four-man Manchester United midfield that enjoyed such success in the nineties' second half.

I'd say that's pretty fair. I think a lot of people think Becks is so overhyped because of his fame , that they lose sight of the fact that he was pretty damn good for United. He's simultaneously overrated and underrated , if that makes any sense.

And yeah , that winger pairing was sublime and they complimented each other perfectly. Same goes with Keane and Scholes in the middle.

Reactions: Stray Wasp

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Ryan Giggs = overrated

Beckham= underrated

Beckham was I think overrated due to his fame. But his crosses and set piece ability are some of the best ever, but he wasn’t very fast or a brilliant defender. I think through the more serious fans he rated pretty accurately.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
So we're now at the point where every single player the oil teams' buy is now an amazing WC or has WC-potential player?

Zinchenko is not good and a serious weak link. Same with Fabian Delph. Otamendi has improved under Pep, but he's still a limited player. So, um, yeah

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->