OT: Football Thread

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
I think Mara wants to give the new GM the 'option' of bringing in fresh blood or keeping Judge. Ooooor they have an internal guy ready to go who knows the 'Giants Way' aka Mara's way or the highway.

bbny

Unregistered User
Apr 12, 2019
Maybe I’m soft, but the media is really beating up Judge while he’s down from every possible angle. We get it. He didn’t deliver. Feels like they want to ruin the guy’s career over two years as head coach of a roster that was too weak in the most important spots after QB (OL/DL). The lion’s share of the fault lies with Gettleman in my view, but it is time to move on.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
Maybe I’m soft, but the media is really beating up Judge while he’s down from every possible angle. We get it. He didn’t deliver. Feels like they want to ruin the guy’s career over two years as head coach of a roster that was too weak in the most important spots after QB (OL/DL). The lion’s share of the fault lies with Gettleman in my view, but it is time to move on.
His epic rant didn't help him. How many people do you think were really calling him to come back to the giants for less money? Anyway I wouldn't be surprised if he returns to the Pats as the special teams coach.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
His epic rant didn't help him. How many people do you think were really calling him to come back to the giants for less money? Anyway I wouldn't be surprised if he returns to the Pats as the special teams coach.
I really thought the team was going to keep him. But then that rant, where he really seemed kind of unhinged, there was so much blowback from that, I think maybe that was the straw that broke the camel's back in terms of how much embarrassment the organization could stomach.

NYRPat21

Jan 1, 2010
Ridge, New York
So far this GM search is very un-Giant like, which is a positive sign IMO. Casting a wide net, executives from playoff organizations, and no in house candidates. It’s a much more attractive job now that Judge is gone. 2 top 10 picks, full autonomy (so they say), cap isn’t ideal but the salary cap in the NFL is Monopoly money. I wouldn’t mind a Schoen/Daboll GM/HC combo, and the AGM Peters from SF is intriguing as well.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
So far this GM search is very un-Giant like, which is a positive sign IMO. Casting a wide net, executives from playoff organizations, and no in house candidates. It’s a much more attractive job now that Judge is gone. 2 top 10 picks, full autonomy (so they say), cap isn’t ideal but the salary cap in the NFL is Monopoly money. I wouldn’t mind a Schoen/Daboll GM/HC combo, and the AGM Peters from SF is intriguing as well.

I agree and I think thats the way they will go.

Schoen has Parcell's endorsement and that will resonate with the Mara family, since this will be so difficult for them to come out of their comfort zone for this hire.

New York Giants legend Bill Parcells is a fan of GM candidate Joe Schoen

I'd say that Poles is the wildcard with Bieniemy.

Last edited:

Bob Richards

Mr. Mojo Risin'
Feb 9, 2011
Jersey
I really thought the team was going to keep him. But then that rant, where he really seemed kind of unhinged, there was so much blowback from that, I think maybe that was the straw that broke the camel's back in terms of how much embarrassment the organization could stomach.

The rant was apparently pretty poorly received by the Giants brass. The criticisms of the WFT and the bizarre shots at Pat Shurmur rubbed a lot of people the wrong way.

It was a terrible self inflicted wound. He seemed to have a vote of confidence if he just kept his head low. But then he proceeded to oversee the worst 6 weeks in franchise history alongside the bad press conferences.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
I’ll guarantee the fact that NY sports radio was 100% clown pounding the Giants, and Mara personally Sunday/Monday factored into it.

I’m not a huge sports radio listener but I’ve never heard the giants take shots like they did when it appeared they were keeping him. Fans, hosts, every guest. Just slaughtering the team and ownership.

Reactions: HockeyBasedNYC

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
To steal a catchphrase from Larry Brooks:

Regrading Joe Judge, the guy has had communication issues and doesn't play well with others since last season. He had an offensive line coach last season he got into a shouting match with at practice that he dismissed later in the week. Per NFL Insiders him and Jason Garrett did not have a good relationship or communication and that was very evident in front of the players and personnel. He threw Garrett under the bus and deflected blame on him after he was fired. Him and Diva Kadarius Toney got into it. In that 11 minute rant he disrespected Ron Rivera who is his senior in the world of coaching and very respected around the league, and he took shots at Shurmur, another senior in the NFL coaching frat. That's an unwritten rule, no cheap shots. Then the defeat formation.

So those saying the media went hard on him, no he was a clown and did himself zero favors. You look at this body of incidents and the guy is not mature enough to lead at least at this point in his career.

Parcells barked at his players and could be very Tortarella-like with the media, but he showed he could lead and was already in the organization for a few years under Ray Perkins. Plus his first year there wasn't any of the Judge nonsense. He just had a bad season.

Regarding Mara, some of the media did at least acknowledge the nepotism in the Giants organization. He's not going to fire his family and he answered it as best as he could. It's up to the new GM and the results on the field to speak for themselves. There are always going to be people who say the GM is a puppet for Chris and Tim Mara and spread rumors. That's the Nu Yawkaz in this region. It's the same things we here that Drury is a puppet for Sather.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
I’ll guarantee the fact that NY sports radio was 100% clown pounding the Giants, and Mara personally Sunday/Monday factored into it.

I’m not a huge sports radio listener but I’ve never heard the giants take shots like they did when it appeared they were keeping him. Fans, hosts, every guest. Just slaughtering the team and ownership.

They deserve it. Look, I will stand by my opinion that Giant fans should STFU about winning a Super Bowl in the next few years after two ok to decent teams got hot for a few weeks in 2007 and 2011, but they have every right to want the right people in place to get the team watchable again.

Joe Judge was as moody and immature a coach as when Esposito was the Rangers GM. You can't have people like that in power and those are the type of personalities that make loyal fans, the ones who listen to the games on the radio, check scores at friends or families weddings, just find a way to keep up with their favorite team, tune out.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
The rant was apparently pretty poorly received by the Giants brass. The criticisms of the WFT and the bizarre shots at Pat Shurmur rubbed a lot of people the wrong way.

It was a terrible self inflicted wound. He seemed to have a vote of confidence if he just kept his head low. But then he proceeded to oversee the worst 6 weeks in franchise history alongside the bad press conferences.

And it was good thing he did too, because there wouldve been another lame duck year of him wasted with a new GM.

I've always felt that if you are gonna bring in a new GM, they should call the shots on who they want in as coach.

Reactions: Bob Richards

rangersfansince08

Oct 8, 2019
We only need Mara to make one good decision at this point. Hire the right GM and everything from coach to scouting to making the right decisions on our current players will fall into place.

rangersfansince08

Oct 8, 2019
Also its insane how much more optimistic we are with Getlemen and Judge gone, hopefully Abrams to follow, a comprehensive GM search with no internal candidates or links to the Giants. I can get excited about us having 2 top 10 picks, a higher second rounder, and two third rounders.

Bob Richards

Mr. Mojo Risin'
Feb 9, 2011
Jersey
And it was good thing he did too, because there wouldve been another lame duck year of him wasted with a new GM.

I've always felt that if you are gonna bring in a new GM, they should call the shots on who they want in as coach.

100%. Judge had to go for that reason alone.

The process of culling your potential GM pool by forcing Judge upon them just for him to get fired after a lame duck season and then have your Judge-adjacent GM hire a non-Judge coach would’ve been a huge mess.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad