OT: Football Thread

ponzu4u

Feb 27, 2013
Since 2004 they won superbowls in 10-6 and 9-7 seasons. And no playoff wins other than those years. They got hot twice. That's it.

In 2005 they went 10-5 (1st in NFC East)
In 2006 they went 8-8 and went to the wildcard
In 2007 they went 10-6 and won the Superbowl
In 2008 they went 12-4 (1st in NFC East)
In 2009 they went 8-8
In 2010 they went 10-6
In 2011 they went 9-7 finished first in the NFC and won the Superbowl.

But sure, continue this dumb narrative they've been garbage since 2004.

rangersfansince08

Oct 8, 2019
In 2009 they went 8-8
In 2010 they went 10-6

2006:1st round exist
2006:making the playoffs at 8-8 is an accomplishment?
2008: started 11-0 and first round exit to the Eagles
2009: 8-8 is good now with a QB in his prime?
2010: miracle at the meadowlands pt 2 and blew lead to the eagles in the other game, blown out by Green Bay and missed the playoffs

They got hot twice and capitzlied. Good for them but pretty putrid overall.

And lets not get into 2012-2021.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
John Mara apparently has never come across the term "clean slate" in his travels. Why would any competent GM want to inherit this mess without being able to hire his own coach. So now that this shit show is guaranteed to continue, I'm praying they hire Kevin Abrams so we can shoot for 1-16 next season. Being worse than the Cleveland Browns isn't good enough, Jacksonville here we come! Rock bottom has new levels!

Reactions: Bob Richards

Bob Richards

Mr. Mojo Risin'
Feb 9, 2011
Jersey
Not letting a new GM choose his own coach lmfao. This is going to be a disaster.

The only reason they are keeping Judge is because Mara is insecure about the “optics” of firing another coach. They’re going to cull the pool of potential GMs in deference to a coach who has nothing going for him.

Gettleman was a nightmare and put the team in talent/cap hell and they’ll be bad next year too and Judge will probably be fired after a lame duck season.

ponzu4u

Feb 27, 2013
2006:1st round exist
2006:making the playoffs at 8-8 is an accomplishment?
2008: started 11-0 and first round exit to the Eagles
2009: 8-8 is good now with a QB in his prime?
2010: miracle at the meadowlands pt 2 and blew lead to the eagles in the other game, blown out by Green Bay and missed the playoffs

They got hot twice and capitzlied. Good for them but pretty putrid overall.

By your logic, just about every team in the NFL other than the Patriots and Steelers would be considered "putrid."
You do realize that during this 9 year period (with 2 NYG SuperBowl wins) you've just described as "putrid" only the Steelers and Patriots won 2 Superbowls? Very curious what your qualifications for a good season for an NFL team are.

And yet your logic is that for some reason every season the Giants were clearly good but didn't win the Superbowl means they stunk?

rangersfansince08

Oct 8, 2019
By your logic, just about every team in the NFL other than the Patriots and Steelers would be considered "putrid."
You do realize that during this 9 year period (with 2 NYG SuperBowl wins) you've just described as "putrid" only the Steelers and Patriots won 2 Superbowls? Very curious what your qualifications for a good season for an NFL team are.

And yet your logic is that for some reason every season the Giants were clearly good but didn't win the Superbowl means they stunk?

I want a team that makes the playoffs every year and is a threat to win every year. Packers never got the second ring but they met this criteria too. Seahawks later on obviously. A boneheaded play away from that.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
I want a team that makes the playoffs every year and is a threat to win every year. Packers never got the second ring but they met this criteria too. Seahawks later on obviously. A boneheaded play away from that.
Packers went to 3 superbowls and won 2 in 30 years with Favre and Rodgers. In that time they missed the playoffs 8 times and had 6 first round exits.

Ratelleitlikeitis

Apr 7, 2011
Guelph
In 2009 they went 8-8
In 2010 they went 10-6

You're killin' Lions fans right there.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
3689976B-2A61-4B55-BBD1-726BE2EC3758.jpeg

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
As a Jets fan, all I can say is I know what you're going through. Fantasy football and RedZone will help you enjoy Sundays again.

Honestly I'm at the point with the NFL that's teetering on complete disinterest. The quality of play, horrible officiating & all the political grandstanding have turned me off for the past 3-5 years. The Giants being out of it every year by the end of September has been the icing on the cake. The only reason I watch as much as I do (which is very little) is my GF is gung ho for football. I usually find something else to do on Sundays or go in another room & watch hockey.

Gordon Bombay

Remptar
Oct 13, 2006
Honestly I'm at the point with the NFL that's teetering on complete disinterest. The quality of play, horrible officiating & all the political grandstanding have turned me off for the past 3-5 years. The Giants being out of it every year by the end of September has been the icing on the cake. The only reason I watch as much as I do (which is very little) is my GF is gung ho for football. I usually find something else to do on Sundays or go in another room & watch hockey.

Well, yeah maybe it's not for you then.

I do find it so embarrassingly ironic that Joe Judge had to the gall to call Washington a clown show for that fight when they have a respected coach. Like dude, you've done nothing and the Giants have become a clown show. It's so Jets, honestly.

Reactions: JCProdigy

RangerBlues

Apr 27, 2004
BRONX NYC
Curious why you think this. Most in the know people I've read on think his potential is through the roof.
There is a really big gap in talent Thib and Hutch are 1-2 easy. Im not into taking the third best guy at 5 When you will have the choice of best player at several other positions. Stingley would be excellent. Trade down the 7 and pick up a WR and try to get another 1 for next season.
Personally I see if the first pick is for sale and get Thib.

Kocur26

Limousine Ridin’
Jul 30, 2021
John Mara is a Daddy’s boy like Jim Dolan ..
He’s a behind the scenes rat meddler with the commissioner … a snake …
He’s a shit talent eval guy …
He deserves all of this .

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
There is a really big gap in talent Thib and Hutch are 1-2 easy. Im not into taking the third best guy at 5 When you will have the choice of best player at several other positions. Stingley would be excellent. Trade down the 7 and pick up a WR and try to get another 1 for next season.
Personally I see if the first pick is for sale and get Thib.

As a Jets fan, I'm hoping Thibs or Hutch falls to 4, but Karlaftis will probably be a safer bet.

LionsHeart

Mar 25, 2009
Queens, NY
It’s wild how John Mara can take a PR nightmare like keeping Joe Judge, and somehow make it more infuriating or confusing. What GM is going to want Joe Judge as their coach after the performance of the team?

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
Giants first interview is tomorrow with Joe Schoen, Asst GM for the Bills. Word is he is top of their list.

If he gets hired, does he bring Brian Daboll with him?

bbny

Unregistered User
Apr 12, 2019
It’s wild how John Mara can take a PR nightmare like keeping Joe Judge, and somehow make it more infuriating or confusing. What GM is going to want Joe Judge as their coach after the performance of the team?

There are plenty who will want a shot at being GM regardless of that. Pay, experience, a chance to fulfill a dream, etc. Yeah, the preference is probably to pick your own coach, but that’s not a deal breaker for every potential GM out there. Maybe it crosses a couple names off the list. Whatever.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad