OT: FOOTBALL! Steelers, THE Ohio State Buckeyes, PSU, PItt, RMU, Cal-U, CCAC....

Status
Not open for further replies.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
I don't get releasing Colquitt at all. I thought he was fine. Nothing great but we haven't had great punting in a long time. 5-0 team. Hopefully not messing with Boswell rhythm. Biggest game yet and going in with a punter who hasn't played yet?? Huh?

Reactions: Hockeygod66

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Or they go with the unkown who was on our PS.

Its worth a shot. Boswell came out of nowhere. Colquitt has been getting worse each year. Hes older now, Im sure they made this move now thinking he would be even more worn down by the end of season...playoffs.

Even if we have a punter thats not good at pinning teams inside their own 10(which Colquitt wasnt good at) then we cant have someone who only averages 43 yards a punt. Kills the field of position battle if we go 3 and out deep in our own side of the field. We've been watching other punters kick it +50 yards downfield when they are in that situation.

Maybe Corliss can be our next Boswell, maybe he isnt. Worth giving him a shot tho against the Titans. Worst comes to worst then Berry is back for this year. Until we find someone else. If Colquitt was already doing this bad early on...at his age, not someone Id like to see later in the season. At least Berry was good at pinning teams deep when we were punting from around midfield.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
we need a back up even if he looks good.

Im sure they are planning on it. Maybe right now they dont want to make a move just to show confidence in who we have and see how they respond. Since it isnt just Spillane. Its Gilbert and Allen as well. Who do have the athleticism we've been talking about.

We still have two weeks. So there isnt a rush. Williamson hasnt been traded yet. And a few other teams may decide to be sellers from now until the deadline. So there could be more players available.

Who knows, maybe they are also looking at SS. Putting Terrell Edmunds into more of a LB role. Which is what he was best at in college. And where his brother plays. He does have the speed and size. Vikings may decide to keep trading...if so Id love to get SS Harrison Smith. May not seem realistic but after the moves the Chiefs and Ravens made...who knows.

Just another scenario Im sure Colbert is looking into. No harm in waiting a week or so to see what all 3 of Spillane(who I think can be a good "buck" LB like Vince Williams...allowing them to split time towards end of season if necessary) and if one of Allen/Gilbert steps up to show if they can handle more playing time on passing downs. And like I said, there has also been talk of using Edmunds in that role. It may be something he excels in. Tho if we do that...then we would have to focus our attention on adding a top safety to go with Fitz. Harrison Smith would be that. But like at ILB, there are others as well. Doesnt have to be him.

With the Ravens adding another top DE, I think this makes it official that Colbert adds someone. Like when we traded for Fitz...Ravens then went out and got Marcus Peters. Now that we are 5-0 and Ben being the age he is, along with how many UFas we have I think its pretty obvious Colbert will do what it takes to make sure we will be in the best position possible to win it all this year. We have separated ourselves from the pack. Knowing its us, Chiefs, Titans, and Ravens. And we get to play Titans and Ravens these next two weeks...thats perfect. Allows us to see how we matchup against them without Bush.
Also knowing we will get at least 2 3rd round comps for who we will be losing in FA...we wont have a lack of draft picks to add to this team the next few drafts. I think its common sense Colbert will add someone. Just depends on whether thats a 2nd or 3rd or 4th/5th.

Theres no hurry because of the volume of quality defenders(whether at ILB or SS) that are available either thru trade or still out there as FAs. So lets see how our own guys play while seeing which other teams end up being sellers at the deadline(usually when the price goes down on some players too..Maybe Jets want a 3rd for Williamson knowing we need ILB...that would drop down to 4th at deadline)

The other good thing about playing the Titans and Ravens(who will be coming off a bye) before the deadline is them both having a great run game so we will get to see what Spillane and the others can do there. Along with Tannehill being one of the best QBs since joining the Titans. Lamar Jackson will also test Spillane big time...when he decides to run with the ball. Bush was one of the ones who was able to keep him in check last year. Idk if Spillane can do that. If he over commits then it could leave guys open(RBs and TEs) open over the middle.

We will see how they handle all of that these next two weeks.

Cant just look at the scores at the end of those games, but how well we do in those situations that Bush covered. If its a huge dropoff(missed tackles...long runs..catches..etc) then no doubt they go out and make a big trade imo. But if the switches we make in house do well...we prob make a lesser trade or just add thru FA in case(still some quality players )

Ideally , we trade a 3rd rounder for a top replacement. No matter how the games go. Who knows if we will get more injuries. Cant assume it stops at Bush. So get a top replacement just in case. Worry about next year and the years following...after.

Last edited:

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
I respectfully disagree.

O line could be stronger.

Inside/middle linebacker position now in question.

Secondary still weak.

RB play inconsistent at times.

Yeah, they can’t have everything and stay under the cap, but when they start playing the truly elected teams in this league, we shall see how they stack up.
Do you ever not complain about the Steelers? You whine when they're doing well, you whine when they're doing bad.

I don't think you watch the Steelers or know anything about them. Why don't you do a little research about them.

Bad Oline? 9th best rushing offense. 8th lowest in sacks allowed. 4th most Points/game in the NFL.
Weak secondary? 8th best passing D. 2nd best rush D. 3rd best D in points/game.
Inconsistent RB play? 9th best rush offense. 100 yard rusher in 4 out of the 5th games.
ILB is a question? Yes obviously. Injuries will do that to you. Every team has injuries.

Reactions: JimmyTwoTimes

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
In a season where all seemed to be going relatively well, we now have something predicatably bad to bitch about.

AB now looking to sign with TB and TB. Wilson loves AB; Brady loves AB. This must have been a Ben issue all along. . . . .

everyone loves AB in short spurts...they won’t when he starts kicking over Gatorade on the sideline and yelling at them that he’s open every play in the huddle

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
The D-bag was always coming back when his suspension was up.

Most NFL teams don’t care about character if a guy can help them win.

Sad, but reality.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
The D-bag was always coming back when his suspension was up.

Most NFL teams don’t care about character if a guy can help them win.

Sad, but reality.

This is true. It would be nice to hear them simply say we think he can help us win right now without saying what a great/reformed/humbled/newly matured guy he now is.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
It will be interesting to see where he fits in that mix.

The one credit I'll give to AB is you know he's coming into that locker room in shape and ready to go.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
This is true. It would be nice to hear them simply say we think he can help us win right now without saying what a great/reformed/humbled/newly matured guy he now is.

I always roll my eyes when they do those game day stories about how this guy is reformed or gotten clean, etc and realized he’s taken the privilege of playing pro football for granted.

Almost every time they relapse into whatever vices have a hold over them.

Once in a blue moon a guy will overcome addiction or change his attitude, but it’s incredibly rare.

OBJ is a total dick and a man child, but this week he just flat out admitted he doesn’t care what people think and he’s going to do him.

He is a cancer to teams, but I’ll at least give him credit for being honest.

Reactions: KIRK

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
AB’s deal is all incentive based. So they’re gonna force the ball to him or he’ll bitch and whine.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I really need to see an AB meltdown on the sidelines. It’s been far too long. I enjoyed ODB’s mini meltdown last week against the Steelers.

Tampa is stacked, all they need now is a QB.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
I'm still confused about this punter thing. Colquitt was averaging 43 yards a punt this season. Berry averaged 44 yards over his 5 years here. Blowing up the position middle of the season over 1 yard? I didn't once go our punter sucks this season like I do 2 times a game with Berry. Colquitt had better hang time imo to allow the coverage to get there. From what I remember he hasn't shanked any either. Berry is good for 1-2 by this part of the season. I don't get it.

Reactions: ChaosAgent
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad