FOOTBALL! Pro/College/etc. Still undefeated!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Wish we still had the old playoff rules so we'd get a better chance at a bye. Chiefs won't lose many

Last edited:
Reactions: Pengwins

EvGeno

Looks like a basketball player!
Jul 11, 2009
Phoenix via Pgh
I don’t think keeping realistic expectations based on Tomlin’s dubious playoff history, is being negative.
Yes, like I said, I am with you… Bring Tomlin and his merry band of idiots up before the playoffs all you want (IF THE STEELERS EVEN MAKE IT, what with the almighty Ravens in the same division, according to some here). But the team is 9-and-freaking-0. Can’t it be given a rest for a little while? If there’s any year the team might be able to overcome Tomlin, it seems like this one…

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
9-0. Ben has a 22-4 TD to INT ratio.

We can literally lose more than we win the rest of the way and be 12-4 haha

Reactions: ColePens

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
ESPN has been a joke for quite some time, but another week and another zero pub on their NFL page. They've always seemed to have an axe to grind with Pitt.

If Ben isn't getting some MVP chatter after this week, with a couple of 4th quarter comebacks, leading a 9-0 team, you can simply confirm the disrespect above.

ESPN might be emotionally fragile right now with their MVP favorite Russell Wilson losing two weeks in a row.

Reactions: KIRK and ColePens

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Yes, like I said, I am with you… Bring Tomlin and his merry band of idiots up before the playoffs all you want (IF THE STEELERS EVEN MAKE IT, what with the almighty Ravens in the same division, according to some here). But the team is 9-and-freaking-0. Can’t it be given a rest for a little while? If there’s any year the team might be able to overcome Tomlin, it seems like this one…

Unfortunately, this is the line of thinking that sets people off in the playoffs when Tomlin becomes Tomlin.

They get blindsided when the Steelers lay yet another playoff egg, and fooled themselves into thinking this time would be different.

There has never been a correlation between regular season vs playoff success under Tomlin.

There are pounds of warning signs again with this team, so some like yourself may want to ignore them, while people like myself can’t.

I’m enjoying the season, but if people aren’t realistic about what could happen come January, it’s going to be unbearable in here.

Reactions: KIRK

cookthebooks

Oct 4, 2017
kind of incredible looking at claypools line from yesterday and thinking about how many plays he left on the field. he is far from the finished product and already this good.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
ESPN might be emotionally fragile right now with their MVP favorite Russell Wilson losing two weeks in a row.

I haven't watched ESPN other than actual games for a loooooong time. Their love affair for some players do not have annnnnny limitations. I'm glad they f***ing suck as a channel and struggle.

Reactions: Shockmaster

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
As opposed to making it unbearable now. Got it! :thumbu:

If you find it unbearable there is discussion about red flags (poor running game, gashed by the run, suspect coaching), that is a personal problem.

I can enjoy the season without living in a fantasy land where the Steelers don’t have worrying issues and a coach with an abysmal playoff history.

Reactions: KIRK

Bingo71

Apr 3, 2018
Corry, PA
It has been the same with both the Pens and the Steelers. Reoccurring warning signs keep popping up throughout the season, but the teams keep winning so they are ignored. Anyone who brings up the issues they don’t seem to be getting corrected, and mentions that it will bite them in the ass come playoff time is excoriated and told that it’s just a “meaningless” regular season game and that there’s nothing to worry about...

Everything tightens up in the postseason and mistakes are magnified all over the field. Adjustments are crucial. Gameplanning and scheming is crucial. Clock management can be crucial.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
It has been the same with both the Pens and the Steelers. Reoccurring warning signs keep popping up throughout the season, but the teams keep winning so they are ignored. Anyone who brings up the issues they don’t seem to be getting corrected, and mentions that it will bite them in the ass come playoff time is excoriated and told that it’s just a “meaningless” regular season game and that there’s nothing to worry about...

Everything tightens up in the postseason and mistakes are magnified all over the field. Adjustments are crucial. Gameplanning and scheming is crucial. Clock management can be crucial.

I disagree. Maybe during the Bylsma era. I feel the Bylsma era and Tomlin era were identical. Absolutely identical. Vets loved to play for Bylsma. They were actually sad when he was fired. I remember hearing they were all torn. :laugh:

If we kept Bylsma, we'd probably be in the same position we are in with Tomlin. 1 Cup and a bunch of "what ifs". Sully/JR through some magic put an end to that and solidified the era.

Steelers have 1-2 years left to put a stamp on the era with 1 more. Do I have faith Tomlin will out coach an opposition in the playoffs? f*** no. :laugh: But i'll be there cheering every step of the way.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

Pens have three championships to the Steelers one in the same time frame, but that is mostly because they realized having a great regular season winning percentage didn’t translate to playoff success.

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
Is this the year Ben finally receives MVP votes?

After week 10 I think Wilson should be the unanimous MVP, but Ben certainly deserves some consideration. As does Rodgers and Mahomes.

EvGeno

Looks like a basketball player!
Jul 11, 2009
Phoenix via Pgh
If you find it unbearable there is discussion about red flags (poor running game, gashed by the run, suspect coaching), that is a personal problem.

I can enjoy the season without living in a fantasy land where the Steelers don’t have worrying issues and a coach with an abysmal playoff history.
Like I’ve said...I agree with you. I’m not in fantasy land (unless the fantasy is Tomlin told the team he’ll be going elsewhere after the season and that’s been part of their motivation). I just think it’s a bit ridiculous to keep beating that drum at this point, right after a pretty dominant win. Save it for after a loss, or at least a worse win. I’m sure you’ll have opportunity :laugh:.

The fact is, Tomlin aside, odds are most teams will not win the Super Bowl. Are Steelers fans not allowed to be upset when that happens (you’re the one who brought up “unbearable”), just because all of us are stuck with Tomlin? And, Tomlin actually has won in the past!

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Like I’ve said...I agree with you. I’m not in fantasy land (unless the fantasy is Tomlin told the team he’ll be going elsewhere after the season and that’s been part of their motivation). I just think it’s a bit ridiculous to keep beating that drum at this point, right after a pretty dominant win. Save it for after a loss, or at least a worse win. I’m sure you’ll have opportunity :laugh:.

The fact is, Tomlin aside, odds are most teams will not win the Super Bowl. Are Steelers fans not allowed to be upset when that happens (you’re the one who brought up “unbearable”), just because all of us are stuck with Tomlin? And, Tomlin actually has won in the past!

This place will 100% be unbearable calling for Tomlin’s head when it’s never going to happen.

There is a difference between being negative and being realistic.

I can easily enjoy this season and these wins, while realizing we are seeing many of the same red flags as in the past with Tomlin.

Again, if you want to ignore the red flags and believe this time will be different, cool.

But there is nothing to base that on but you being hopeful things will finally change with Tomlin.

If you believe otherwise I’ll kindly point out 2017... the last time they were in the playoffs.. with a 13-3 record... and fans insisting this time... had to be different.

Then Jax came to town with HOFer Blake Bortles.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Is this the year Ben finally receives MVP votes?

After week 10 I think Wilson should be the unanimous MVP, but Ben certainly deserves some consideration. As does Rodgers and Mahomes.

Considering how mediocre the team looked last year without Ben and how they look right now with him, I kinda feel like he's, and I can't believe I'm saying this about a 38 year-old who I've more-or-less tolerated for the better part of the past decade, been the definition of 'Most Valuable Player' in the pure meaning of the sense...but that's never been how the MVP has been assigned in this league. Ben has been the steady hand this year, which is not at all how I was expecting this to go. At best I was figuring late career Roethlisberger would be a Favre-esque gunslinger, which would align with his 2018 season a bit (career high in TDs & yardage at the same time he led the league in INTs).

Of course the last time this team won the Super Bowl Ben threw 17 TDs, 15 INTs, and fumbled 14 times (lost 7), so reading too much into regular season stats won't do shit come January.

Bingo71

Apr 3, 2018
Corry, PA
Ben should win comeback player of the year award but he’ll never win MVP. It’s Wilson’s to lose at this point.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
Unfortunately Ben has no shot because of Alex Smith. It’s a shame, but plenty in the media have already said as much.

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
Unfortunately Ben has no shot because of Alex Smith. It’s a shame, but plenty in the media have already said as much.
I don't think it's a lock. Alex Smith is a 3rd string QB who has 1 TD/3INT in 2 games. While Ben is playing like an MVP candidate.

Reactions: Pengwins

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Steelers record in Jacksonville against the Jaguars since they came into the league in 1995: 3-5.....for whomever was asking yesterday...

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Steelers record in Jacksonville against the Jaguars since they came into the league in 1995: 3-5.....for whomever was asking yesterday...

Games against crappy Jaguars teams are always harder than they should be:

2008: Jaguars finish 5-11, Steelers beat them 26-21 (in Jacksonville).
2011: Jaguars finish 5-11, Steelers beat them 17-13 (in Pittsburgh).
2014: Jaguars finish 3-13, Steelers beat them 17-9 (in Jacksonville).
2018: Jaguars finish 5-11, Steelers beat them 20-16 (in Jacksonville).

Left out 2017 as the Jaguars were good that year.

Reactions: Andy99

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
I don't think it's a lock. Alex Smith is a 3rd string QB who has 1 TD/3INT in 2 games. While Ben is playing like an MVP candidate.
I agree. Just going off of what media has said. It was basically “If the guy plays a snap he wins it” when they would talk about the award.

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
Steelers are jeckyl & hyde home vs on the road. If yesterday's game was in cinci I bet Steelers win by a FG. I don't understand it.

Jax has the easiest schedule in the league yet has just 1 win. They're as bad as their record indicates. And I'll be shocked if the Steelers win by more than 5.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
Speaking of playoff rules, I think they need to make a .500 record minimum even for division winners. The NFC East is an abomination and a good team is going to be left at home while a team that’s probably 6-10 in the worst division in history makes it in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille