FOOTBALL! Pro/College/etc. Still undefeated!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
We need Williamson to spell Spillane and Alualu back for sure.

I’ve got my share of complaints, but I’d rather win than lose. And these players know they need to be better to compete. It was obvious on their faces.

on the plus side, I’m still impressed with Ben when he needs to get us points.

Yes. And would rather see who needs replaced during these types of games. If Connor wasnt put in those situations then Colbert doesnt know he cant be relied on "as much" to close out games. Thats the stuff hes looking at .

Its better to find those things out before payday.

I also like that these young players just got a taste of what the playoffs are like. Chaos can happen and they overcame it. The team doesnt matter...this game had tons of things go wrong , to where they could have easily lost it. But hung on anyway.

Reactions: OnMyOwn

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010

That pump fake by Ben.

Rumor has it #25 is still looking for his jock strap.

I think its official they need to re-sign Juju now. Hes proven how important he is. Claypool is great. DJ is solid and could be great but injury issues. Juju is turning into a Hines Ward for us.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Yes. And would rather see who needs replaced during these types of games. If Connor wasnt put in those situations then Colbert doesnt know he cant be relied on "as much" to close out games.

Its better to find those things out before payday.
if hes not being played, maybe they all ready know. :dunno:

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I think its official they need to re-sign Juju now. Hes proven how important he is. Claypool is great. DJ is solid and could be great but injury issues. Juju is turning into a Hines Ward for us.

Can they afford him?

If we resign him, I'd try to get a 2nd for DJ. I'm seeing some more diva-ish stuff out of him. Hand waving, gesturing, exasperation, giving up on the play kind of stuff. No me gusta.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Can they afford him?

If we resign him, I'd try to get a 2nd for DJ. I'm seeing some more diva-ish stuff out of him. Hand waving, gesturing, exasperation, giving up on the play kind of stuff. No me gusta.

I think theyll make it work. Colbert usually does with the players he knows are very hard to replace. Yes we are good at drafting WRs but imo he finds a way to keep JJSS.

There are also a handful of contracts that will be restructured or let go. They will have the room. Unless he asks for something ridiculous to where it would be impossible to keep him. Bell type scenario.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
Idk why but I think this was an important win. In the past Tomlin would lose these games but for some reason it feels like here we are steam rolling ahead not looking back

Reactions: JimmyTwoTimes

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
if hes not being played, maybe they all ready know. :dunno:

Well its more about the price. Connor is still a decent RB. Who they would prob keep (even if the plan was to draft Etienne in first round for example)... Since Snell doesnt look like he will last much longer in the league. And McFarland is a diff type of back.

Main point is , even tho he almost cost us the last two games, I wouldnt have changed the way they called those plays. Connor did have some very good games this year. Hes right around being the 10th best RB in the league, if going by numbers. But those were crucial situations that the RB has to close out. Or else theyd start throwing it instead...etc. And at that point you may as well move on.

There will still be some games ahead where he gets 100 yards again, but we already saw what happened last two weeks. Instead of the 10mil value "over the cap" has him valued at...maybe Colbert has a number of around 5 or 6 instead now. I dont know. Just that he factors all that in. We have plenty of FAs.

Reactions: The Old Master

Bingo71

Apr 3, 2018
Corry, PA
I listened to the postgame presser from aviators and it was a perfect example of why he infuriates me to no end.

Somebody asked a question about not running hardly at all in the 2nd half or 4th quarter or something until Conner had the failed 4th down carry and Tomlin went on about how he knew what personnel the Cowboys were in and what worked for them and what didn’t, blah blah blah...

If you knew that from watching game tape then why in the f*** did it take you 3 quarters to start calling plays that worked and move the ball and score????

Maddening!

And then he gave some tired old cliche bullshit about every team that plays the Pittsburgh Steelers brings their A game because they respect the brand, blah blah blah. Same shit I hear about the Pens too...

And nobody in the media ever presses him on any of it, just accepts his vanilla answers and move on to more ball washing...

Bingo71

Apr 3, 2018
Corry, PA
Juju is not only important he’s also still really young with the potential to get even better. A rare WR that seems to care about wins more than catches also. Haven’t heard a word from him about his reduced role this year.
Agree. Compare that to “Hollywood” Brown last week openly complaining about not being targeted more...

Reactions: JimmyTwoTimes

lastcupever75

Phive cups PA.
May 14, 2009
I hate feeling like the refs gifted us a win.

BS hand to Ben's face but missing the horse collar on Heyward.

All in all, that was miserable. Just do the hurry up all game next game. Make Fichtner walk home. Should take 6-7 months.

i may be mistaken but i Believe you have to pull the player to the ground for it to be a penalty

Reactions: Khelandros

Bingo71

Apr 3, 2018
Corry, PA
The 4th and 1 call is maddening as well. I don’t necessarily disagree with the decision to go for it, but number 1, they were rushed and hurried to the line for the snap and should have called a TO there at the very least. Number 2, they should have put the game in Ben’s hands there. Pouncey and the O line had been blown up all game and if Ben throws and incomplete there, the clock stops anyway.

Again, SITUATIONAL football seems to escape this team. Tomlin always touts not living in his fears but continuously does it week in and week out...

EvGeno

Looks like a basketball player!
Jul 11, 2009
Phoenix via Pgh
Juju is not only important he’s also still really young with the potential to get even better. A rare WR that seems to care about wins more than catches also. Haven’t heard a word from him about his reduced role this year.
But, but,but...He.Posts.Dancing.Videos.Online. :scared:

Reactions: Ogrezilla

lastcupever75

Phive cups PA.
May 14, 2009
can't quote someone from the closed thread but he stated,
" kick the FG, just block better"

crap, you don't even have to do that, just get in his way.
get vertical after the snap and he tumbles over you

let him fall on his head one time and see if he tries to do it again

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
We can only call what we see. JJSS stepped up as a #1 when the team needed it. Back to back games. They know he's the #1 and he still took that shit over. I was very surprised. He was in the zone fighting for every inch.

Gotta tip the cap to this guy.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
can't quote someone from the closed thread but he stated,
" kick the FG, just block better"

crap, you don't even have to do that, just get in his way.
get vertical after the snap and he tumbles over you

Or........ hard count him. He's jumping the count.

Or..... center just has to stand up. If he's even touched - it counts as a penalty.

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
The 4th and 1 call is maddening as well. I don’t necessarily disagree with the decision to go for it, but number 1, they were rushed and hurried to the line for the snap and should have called a TO there at the very least. Number 2, they should have put the game in Ben’s hands there. Pouncey and the O line had been blown up all game and if Ben throws and incomplete there, the clock stops anyway.

Again, SITUATIONAL football seems to escape this team. Tomlin always touts not living in his fears but continuously does it week in and week out...

I understand but look at the highlights of the game again. They def decided to use this game to judge their other players. They just about always play their starters on D close to 100% of the game. This game was completely different. It was the risk they were willing To take I guess. Something we wouldnt have seen against Ravens and Titans . Mondeuax wouldnt have played that much. Dangerfield missed two big tackles on their backup RB when he rarely ever plays in games. Watt was down field covering Lamb on that first TD(def something we wouldnt have seen). And so on. That was all in the first half.

You have to take some risks at some point to see what you have, while challenging the key players(most of them have never been to the playoffs). What I like is that by halftime , the Cowboys were playing with house money and how things were going , in the past we would have let that game get away from us. But still found a way.

They get the win, learned more about certain players. Then Others like Claypool just got a taste of playoff like football(doesnt matter it was Dallas by the time of the 4th, that team was pumped and acting like it was their SB)....he dropped his first pass but made up for it right after on our GW drive.

I wouldnt label this as the typical " playing down to the opponent" in the same sense they have in the past. In those games we used our starters all game.

Last thing, its time to start using Fitz in more of a Polamalu role. Hes being wasted most of the time by being the FS and not taking advantage of him doing to QBs what Troy did. Before the ball is even snapped. Hopefully they are at least planning on it for the playoffs...and its just something they dont want a team like the Chiefs to prepare for ahead of time.

Reactions: Rave7215

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
1. The writing is on the wall for this team bowing out early in the post-season. The coaching just isn't there. "Beat your man" isn't a strategy or scheme.

2. As things stand, the Steelers 2021 cap will be ~$181m thanks to the rollover. They have a bunch of restructuring to do just to fill out the roster (they have 34 players total under contract for 2021, worth over $200m in cap).

My guess is Haden will be traded (saves ~$12m), McDonald's option not picked up (saves ~$5m), and none of the big FAs re-signed - including JuJu.

JuJu is likely going to get paid by someone who needs an experienced WR for their young QB, like Miami or Arizona. I'd guess he'll get something like 4 years, $60m. The Steelers just can't compete with that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Andy99 and KIRK

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Or........ hard count him. He's jumping the count.

Or..... center just has to stand up. If he's even touched - it counts as a penalty.

It wasn't that particular play that was the issue.

It is that Tomlin is a gambler. Always has been. But he also always fails. Almost every single time.

And most of all he never learns.

Reactions: ColePens

Pengwins

Jun 13, 2017
Conner is shot. Told y’all we should have traded for a RB before the deadline. Now we’re screwed.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
i may be mistaken but i Believe you have to pull the player to the ground for it to be a penalty

Here's the rule: I'm not sure he grabbed the appropriate place or if the QB was outside the pocket. I think GG was still in the pocket.

No player shall grab the inside collar of the back or the side of the shoulder pads or jersey, or grab the jersey at the name plate or above, and pull the runner toward the ground. This does not apply to a runner who is in the tackle box or to a quarterback who is in the pocket.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille