OT: Food Glorious Food thread.

bossfan

Apr 5, 2008
This one is for @Fenway .......

Made some incredible Chicago Style Italian Beef Sandwiches last night in the InstaPot. Like most people in Chicago, I take my Italian Beef Seriously (Scatchels, down in Cicero is the best BTW) and I ALWAYS take may sandwiches dipped. Total prep time was 2hrs, but still way quicker than traditional methods and better than anything you will get at Portillo's, or Al's. Great for Sundays when you have people over for football.....

The leftovers are just as good. Just make sure to store the beef and the gravy in separate containers. Then just re-heat the gravy, add the meat and serve. Here's the recipe: Chicago-Style Italian Beef Sandwiches – Instant Pot Recipes

View media item 9684

On my Chicago trip I went to Mr. Beef on Orleans. So good. There is a place in Natick owned by Chicago natives that maek a good authentic italiam beef sandwich.

I never thought about using the Instant Pot. I am so making this, thanks for posting it. I know you need a sturdy roll can I ask what kind of a roll you used?

Last edited:

RoccoF14

Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
On my Chicago trip I went to Mr. Beef on Orleans. So good. There is a place in Natick owned by Chicago natives that maek a good authentic italiam beef sandwich.

I never thought about using the Instant Pot. I am so making this, thanks for posting it. I know you need a sturdy roll can I ask what kind of a roll you used?
We've got a local bakery that makes a really great crusty Italian roll, but any bread with a good crust should work. These sandwiches have a lot of juice, especially if you dip them, so you need a bread that won't turn into a gummy mess.

RoccoF14

Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL

...also, if you really want to get fancy, roast yourself a red and green pepper on the grill, peel off the skin and slice that up and add as a condiment, like you would with the giardiniera. My wife LOVES roasted red pepper on hers and she's got me converted as well.

My kids like 'em with provolone (not me, I'm a purist), so you can also do that. Split the rolls, throw on some provolone and throw them in the broiler until the cheese gets a little brown and bubbly.

Last edited:

Troublesome 85

Proud Girl Dad
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
0F525135-CA34-44CC-96B3-969B1B6BFB99.jpeg

Reactions: Kovi and CDJ

bossfan

Apr 5, 2008
Can any RI folks recommend any good pizza places? Ideally closer to South County, but I'd take any suggestions...

The 7 Best Pizzas In Rhode Island – Big 7 Travel

Caserta is decent

Al Forno is one of the best italian restaurants in the area. It is a restaurant not a pizza shop but you can get take out pizza if you don't want to dine in. It is pretty expensive but the wood grilled pizza is fantastic. If you dine in there be sure to order one of their made to order desserts.

Last edited:
Reactions: blurbruin

bossfan

Apr 5, 2008
...also, if you really want to get fancy, roast yourself a red and green pepper on the grill, peel off the skin and slice that up and add as a condiment, like you would with the giardiniera. My wife LOVES roasted red pepper on hers and she's got me converted as well.

My kids like 'em with provolone (not me, I'm a purist), so you can also do that. Split the rolls, throw on some provolone and throw them in the broiler until the cheese gets a little brown and bubbly.

I like roasted peppers so I'll do that. I think I'll leave off the provolone

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
We had Friend Day at church and afterwards they had a couple food trucks in the parking lot. Guests got a free meal. I paid for mine but it was amazing. Best brisket sandwich and corn casserole I've ever had.

They have a restaurant as well which is only about a mile from work. Guess I will be frequenting it now. :laugh:

20210926_114359.jpg

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY
Going to Ellsworth Maine in a week....anyone ever been to Josies Cafe? From outside, looks like a general store.... walk in, looks like a 7-11....go through to the restaurant...different world

Have some tall tables with a fire ring....food is amazing... wife says the best brussel sprouts she has ever had.
Serve breakfast/lunch/dinner

Awesome

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
Going to Ellsworth Maine in a week....anyone ever been to Josies Cafe? From outside, looks like a general store.... walk in, looks like a 7-11....go through to the restaurant...different world

Have some tall tables with a fire ring....food is amazing... wife says the best brussel sprouts she has ever had.
Serve breakfast/lunch/dinner

Awesome
I've been to the town but didn't go to the Cafe.

I've been to the town but didn't go to the Cafe.
Granted I was alone for work but you know how that goes lol

Pan fried Brussels sprouts in bacon grease

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
I have been to the Cask and Flagon in Marshfield about 20 times in 3 or 4 years and always got the Jambalaya,the best jambalaya I have ever had. So we head to our lunch at the Cask and I order the jambalaya and it is no longer offered,they said the sausage became too expensive! Help!!!!

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Today’s adventure.

Pot roast in crockpot. Portuguese style. Or best I can remember .

Roast. Browned in pan first.
chopped onions & plum tomatoes.
Minced garlic.
Beef broth.
large tablespoon of tomato paste.
very large stick of linguica.

gonna go for 4 hours. Slow.
adding potatoes and carrots in about 2 and a half hours.

saying a prayer.

grateful though the Bride being laid up appreciates anything I try doing.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad