OT: Food Glorious Food thread.

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
I am obsessed with baking....we have had no gaps for weeks. This is my latest, walnut bread with cream cheese filling.
upload_2020-5-7_18-31-24.jpeg

bossfan

Apr 5, 2008
Chili mac success! Quite scrumptious if I do say so myself. Ground beef, onion, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, chili seasoning, elbow macaroni, and pinto beans. Brown the ground beef and onions, throw in the rest of the ingredients, pressure cook for four minutes. Top with shredded cheese and sour cream. Plenty of leftovers considering it's just me. :laugh:

View attachment 345363 View attachment 345364

Do you have a link to the recipe so that I can see the measurements for the ingredients?

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Do you have a link to the recipe so that I can see the measurements for the ingredients?
Www.temeculablogs.com/instant-pot-chili-mac-recipe/

Servings: 6
Ingredients
  • 1/2 onion diced
  • 1 lb ground beef or ground turkey
  • 1 can diced tomatoes 15 oz
  • 1 can tomato sauce 8 oz.
  • 1 can red beans 15 oz
  • 1 c elbow macaroni uncooked
  • 1 c beef broth or water
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 pkg. chili seasoning packet or 1 tbsp seasoning salt, or 1 pkg. taco seasoning
  • 1 tsp chili powder optional - more or less depending on spice level desired
Steps
  1. Turn Instant Pot to saute and add olive oil, onions, and ground beef.
  2. Brown meat until cooked. Turn off IP.
  3. Pour in your can of red beans (undrained), diced tomatoes, sprinkle in packet of chili seasoning, tomato sauce and stir together. Pour in your broth, then sprinkle noodles on top but do NOT stir!! Just gently push down to submerge noodles into the liquid but keep on top. (if you stir, you may get burn notice)
  4. Turn IP to manual, pressure, high, for 4 minutes (3 if you like noodles more al dente). Close steam valve.
  5. When done do a quick release and carefully open lid. Stir. Serve topped with cheese!!
Although it called for red beans, I didn't have any in the pantry, so I substituted pintos. I also used water and not beef broth. Still tasted good to me!

bossfan

Apr 5, 2008
Www.temeculablogs.com/instant-pot-chili-mac-recipe/

Servings: 6
Ingredients
  • 1/2 onion diced
  • 1 lb ground beef or ground turkey
  • 1 can diced tomatoes 15 oz
  • 1 can tomato sauce 8 oz.
  • 1 can red beans 15 oz
  • 1 c elbow macaroni uncooked
  • 1 c beef broth or water
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 pkg. chili seasoning packet or 1 tbsp seasoning salt, or 1 pkg. taco seasoning
  • 1 tsp chili powder optional - more or less depending on spice level desired
Steps
  1. Turn Instant Pot to saute and add olive oil, onions, and ground beef.
  2. Brown meat until cooked. Turn off IP.
  3. Pour in your can of red beans (undrained), diced tomatoes, sprinkle in packet of chili seasoning, tomato sauce and stir together. Pour in your broth, then sprinkle noodles on top but do NOT stir!! Just gently push down to submerge noodles into the liquid but keep on top. (if you stir, you may get burn notice)
  4. Turn IP to manual, pressure, high, for 4 minutes (3 if you like noodles more al dente). Close steam valve.
  5. When done do a quick release and carefully open lid. Stir. Serve topped with cheese!!
Although it called for red beans, I didn't have any in the pantry, so I substituted pintos. I also used water and not beef broth. Still tasted good to me!

Awesome thank you. I'll probably make my own chili seasoning from on hand ingredients instead of using a pre-packaged one but other than that I'll give this a try. I've been using my instant pot more than pre-quarantine days so l'll put this on my recipe hit list.

Reactions: Bruinaura

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Didn't feel like cooking so we did takeout from BTs smokehouse in Sturbridge. Brisket and ribs now I have the itis...

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
For those local to Somerville, I can’t recommend the Mount Vernon enough. I’m biased because it’s owned by a good friends family, but great spot to get a home cooked meal without cooking.

I went with the baked stuffed chicken dinner with French onion soup to start and my husband did the double pork chop dinner with lobster bisque.

74C7B38C-43DC-4880-A5F2-3F2B9F5153B7.jpeg

badbrewin

Sponsor
Jan 13, 2007
Montreal
Hadn't been on the boards in quite a while, but Bruins withdrawl brought me back. And of course, I just spent the last 30 minutes going through the entire 23 pages of this food thread! Lots of great "chefs" on here and scooped up some nice ideas and recipes along the way.

Thought I'd share what my wife and daughter cooked up for my 50th a couple a weeks ago :(. Don't ask me for the recipe, this seafood boil just had everything.

Keep em coming folks!

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Hadn't been on the boards in quite a while, but Bruins withdrawl brought me back. And of course, I just spent the last 30 minutes going through the entire 23 pages of this food thread! Lots of great "chefs" on here and scooped up some nice ideas and recipes along the way.

Thought I'd share what my wife and daughter cooked up for my 50th a couple a weeks ago :(. Don't ask me for the recipe, this seafood boil just had everything.

Keep em coming folks!

You know, I neve use the word delicious.

But, delicious.

Happy birthday!

Reactions: badbrewin

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
20200507_121451.jpg
20200507_120552.jpg

Linguini Fini with pepper sauce.

Quick lunch, while the water boils and the pasta cooks the linguini fini in 5-6 minutes. This quick sauce comes together, it's a mix of aglio e olio from the Italian side. Vinha d'alhos from the Portuguese side and the onions, spices, butter from my side. So its a mix of lots of garlic, onions, white wine, vinegar, tomato passata and pepper paste. Seasoning salt, oregano and freshly ground black pepper.

Saute onions and garlic then add pepper paste, passata. Cooks a few minutes. Then add wine let cook it down. Then add vinegar and seasonings. Slowly simmer until pasta is ready. Then add pasta to sauce mix well and finish with the butter.

Pepper paste can be replaced by hot sauce.
Passata can be replaced by crushed tomatoes or tomato paste.
Dry wine that you drink would be best.
Spaghetti aldo works well.

Pepper paste could be done by cooking peppers until soft (20 to 30 minutes) then pass them in a food mill. Season with salt. Keeps in fridge for a few months. Can be hot, medium or mild. Depending on peppers you use.

Last edited:
Reactions: sooshii and CDJ

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
This isn't a recipe but it solves one of my biggest pet peeves in food storage... The useless cardboard flaps on cereal boxes

:eek: :thumbu:

Reactions: caz16

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
Rare! Rare!
Nah that was a perfect medium rare. Rare is purplish on the inside. Beef is pretty safe to be super rare on the inside since it's the inside of the cut. My ex used to order it 'cold rare' or 'blue' at fancy steak houses and I'm pretty sure the inside was still raw (like the very center of her steak wouldn't be 'hot'). Only fancier steakhouses like Capital Grille would do it.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Nah that was a perfect medium rare. Rare is purplish on the inside. Beef is pretty safe to be super rare on the inside since it's the inside of the cut. My ex used to order it 'cold rare' or 'blue' at fancy steak houses and I'm pretty sure the inside was still raw (like the very center of her steak wouldn't be 'hot'). Only fancier steakhouses like Capital Grille would do it.

I went through a phase where I ordered steak blue a lot because I definitely prefer the texture and that fact that it's cool in the middle. I've come to learn that the right doneness level is dependent on the cut of steak, and that anything with fat in the meat like a ribeye needs to be at least medium rare, if not approaching medium to melt the fats and release all that flavor. You could pull off blue with a tenderloin or something lean.

Anything higher than medium is a crime against humanity though.

Reactions: Bocephus86

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I soaked some black beans overnight with the idea of making a soup. But it was really a "throw whatever you can find into the crock pot and go" kind of morning, so I wound up putting the beans, some chopped up pork, a little bit of onion, and some salt/pepper/cumin into the crock pot and covered with some chicken broth. We'll see how it is in 7 hours.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad