OT: Food Glorious Food thread.

RoccoF14

Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
I went through a phase where I ordered steak blue a lot because I definitely prefer the texture and that fact that it's cool in the middle. I've come to learn that the right doneness level is dependent on the cut of steak, and that anything with fat in the meat like a ribeye needs to be at least medium rare, if not approaching medium to melt the fats and release all that flavor. You could pull off blue with a tenderloin or something lean.

Anything higher than medium is a crime against humanity though.

This is exactly right. When I do Ribeye's I reverse sear them for this very reason. You have to give that cut of meat some time for that fat to render. There is absolutely no better way to cook a Ribeye than the reverse sear method. All you need is a meat thermometer and a cast iron skillet.

Reactions: McGarnagle

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Gonna do takeout tonight. Dont know where yet. The Brides choice. Probably The Chateau. The twins can go pick up.
We’llsee.

Chateau has been my family's go to for big events since I was a kid. Used to go to the one in Waltham for everything.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
This is exactly right. When I do Ribeye's I reverse sear them for this very reason. You have to give that cut of meat some time for that fat to render. There is absolutely no better way to cook a Ribeye than the reverse sear method. All you need is a meat thermometer and a cast iron skillet.

We did ribeyes in our skillet on Mother's day. Came out perfect!!

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Chateau has been my family's go to for big events since I was a kid. Used to go to the one in Waltham for everything.

I love the Chateau. We struck out though. By the time we got around to ordering they werent accepting anymore. It was early too,
So ended up with Longhorns. Still needed to order 90 minutes in advance.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
Made “melting potatoes” tonight. Very tasty and a different preparation.

BEDBB03A-A693-49BF-90BC-BFE328721A74.jpeg

served with some roasted zucchini/summer squash and chicken topped with bacon and melted cheeses.
AE5BEC56-EED6-4A6E-97D2-7557A9DD250A.jpeg

Reactions: CDJ

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
Reactions: McGarnagle

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I love the Chateau. We struck out though. By the time we got around to ordering they werent accepting anymore. It was early too,
So ended up with Longhorns. Still needed to order 90 minutes in advance.

Longhorns isn't a bad fall back though. I would do bad things for some of those firecracker chicken wraps right now...lol

Reactions: Gee Wally

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
I impulse bought some cellophane wrapped Belgian waffles at stop and shop. My husband loves me and air fried them and plopped some Brigham’s chocolate ice cream on top.

Brighams is the GOAT and it ain’t even close.
67710900-E703-4D4C-8A1D-552E769EA3B1.jpeg

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
I impulse bought some cellophane wrapped Belgian waffles at stop and shop. My husband loves me and air fried them and plopped some Brigham’s chocolate ice cream on top.

Brighams is the GOAT and it ain’t even close.
View attachment 346200
*Looks at this picture*

*Rummages in pantry only to produce one sad container of Hunt's pudding*

:cry:

:laugh:

Reactions: GordonHowe

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Made pork al pastor in the crock pot, then simmered down the stock into a thicker sauce that I used as dressing for the salad I put the pork on.

Reactions: GordonHowe

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I ate a package of chocolate marshmallow Oreos in about 36 hours, perhaps less

I also got more and more DJs wings. Just supporting local business over here, has nothing to do with me being a lazy fat ass ;)

The employees there are going to be able to fund their kids college through me purchasing 25 piece wings as often as I do. Usually do a hot buffalo garlic/lemon pepper garlic split. The blue cheese is homemade. Place is so damn good.

thinking about the number of chickens I’m responsible for killing solely through DJs makes me uneasy but those are the sacrifices we make for deliciousness

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Nah that was a perfect medium rare. Rare is purplish on the inside. Beef is pretty safe to be super rare on the inside since it's the inside of the cut. My ex used to order it 'cold rare' or 'blue' at fancy steak houses and I'm pretty sure the inside was still raw (like the very center of her steak wouldn't be 'hot'). Only fancier steakhouses like Capital Grille would do it.

i had a blue ribeye at Capital once but i couldn’t eat much. It wasn’t the color or texture but the temp that bothered me. I put it in my oven when i got home for a couple minutes and it was phenomenal. Actually the only other time I’ve been to Capital i had it rare, and brought half of it home. Was delicious both at the restaurant and my home.

Reactions: Bocephus86

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Longhorns isn't a bad fall back though. I would do bad things for some of those firecracker chicken wraps right now...lol

lol i went to Longhorns once, just a couple days post shoulder surgery. My mother loves it so she finally convinced me to try it. I remember just two things, the server spilled my coke all over me, and my shoulder was f***ing throbbing the entire time so we had to leave early. Ok three things apparently, that Percocet f***ed me uuuuup!

Reactions: LSCII

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
lol i went to Longhorns once, just a couple days post shoulder surgery. My mother loves it so she finally convinced me to try it. I remember just two things, the server spilled my coke all over me, and my shoulder was f***ing throbbing the entire time so we had to leave early. Ok three things apparently, that Percocet f***ed me uuuuup!

In terms of the big three mid priced chain steakhouses, I like Longhorns the best. They have the most diverse menu when compared to Texas Roadhouse and Outback, and my kids never want steak, so it makes it easier having more chicken and other selections.

Percs are terrible. I got them when I broke my arm back in college, and I had to stop taking them after 2 days. Made my stomach feel awful, and I couldn't sleep when I was on them. Was not a fan.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
In terms of the big three mid priced chain steakhouses, I like Longhorns the best. They have the most diverse menu when compared to Texas Roadhouse and Outback, and my kids never want steak, so it makes it easier having more chicken and other selections.

Percs are terrible. I got them when I broke my arm back in college, and I had to stop taking them after 2 days. Made my stomach feel awful, and I couldn't sleep when I was on them. Was not a fan.

outback sucks. Super overpriced and limited menu.

Roadhouse i love though. Prices might be just barely more than i anticipate, but the steaks have always been really good, and the bread is phenomenal. Cheap thrills.

Reactions: Bocephus86

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
outback sucks. Super overpriced and limited menu.

Roadhouse i love though. Prices might be just barely more than i anticipate, but the steaks have always been really good, and the bread is phenomenal. Cheap thrills.

I worked at an Outback when I first got out of college. Never ate anything off the menu though. lol

I like Texas Roadhouse a lot for their steaks. I think the quality of their beef is better than the other 2, but their menu still is limited for kids, which is why we prefer Longhorns. We don't get to go out very often without the kids, so it makes a difference if everyone is happy and can get what they like. If it was just me and my wife, we'd go to Texas Roadhouse, more than likely.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Added some fresh jalapeño to a couple French bread Red Barons last night. The pinnacle of frozen pizza.

lunch today Onion roll with turkey, mozzarella, lettuce, no sugar sweet baby rays, and more jalapeño.

chicken thighs thawed faster than anticipated so I’ll figure them out for dinner i guess. It’s only four, boneless skinless, so i might just put em over pasta.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
I worked at an Outback when I first got out of college. Never ate anything off the menu though. lol

I like Texas Roadhouse a lot for their steaks. I think the quality of their beef is better than the other 2, but their menu still is limited for kids, which is why we prefer Longhorns. We don't get to go out very often without the kids, so it makes a difference if everyone is happy and can get what they like. If it was just me and my wife, we'd go to Texas Roadhouse, more than likely.

we do Longhorn a lot. I used to really like Bugaboo Creek. Especially when my kids were little.

Reactions: LSCII

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
we do Longhorn a lot. I used to really like Bugaboo Creek. Especially when my kids were little.
I always went to Chilis or ground round when I worked at the post office plant in the late 90s.
Chilis had these wings called shanghai wings and they were friggin amazing but they stopped making them like 10 years ago. I would always get them.
The ground round had these things called dippers. They were like fried dough you would dip in chocolate sauce or strawberry sauce. We had lunch from 9-10 pm as we worked 3-11pm shift at the plant. We would pound down like 2 long island ice teas and the dippers and go back to work for an hour. Then head back there. lol

Reactions: Gee Wally

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I always went to Chilis or ground round when I worked at the post office plant in the late 90s.
Chilis had these wings called shanghai wings and they were friggin amazing but they stopped making them like 10 years ago. I would always get them.
The ground round had these things called dippers. They were like fried dough you would dip in chocolate sauce or strawberry sauce. We had lunch from 9-10 pm as we worked 3-11pm shift at the plant. We would pound down like 2 long island ice teas and the dippers and go back to work for an hour. Then head back there. lol

I worked at a Chilis when I was in college, and their chicken pasta back then was the best. They changed it on the menu a few years after, and it sucked. Still love their salsa though. I'd put that shit in a cup and drink it if I could.

Ground Round was a great family place. Stinks that they're all gone now.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby

bugaboo creek! I forgot about that place, my parents would take me on occasion when I was young

the talking moose head on the wall or w/e it was scared the shit out of my sister lol....I think that’s bugaboo I’m thinking of at least

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
bugaboo creek! I forgot about that place, my parents would take me on occasion when I was young

the talking moose head on the wall or w/e it was scared the shit out of my sister lol....I think that’s bugaboo I’m thinking of at least

Yeah my parents took us to the Bugaboo Creek at the Fox Run Mall all the time when we were growing up. I remember the talking Moose Head being everybody's favorite part.

Reactions: CDJ and Gee Wally

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

It is. Best thing on their menu wasn't even steak. It was this cheesy garlic pasta thing. Was really good. Sucks they closed. lol

Reactions: CDJ and Gee Wally

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad