Proposal: Following the Karlsson Rumors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spartachat

Aug 2, 2016
Ottawa
I think talks for Karlsson will heat up at the draft when he will be allowed to sign a new contract. The team trading for him will want a guarantee he will re-sign.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alex1234

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
parlaying Ryan with EK makes sense, Melnyk's motivation seems to be all about saving money

What team that needs a prime elite defender can afford to bring 13 soon to be 17 million in salary onto their team?

Demanding that Ryan goes with Karlsson absolutely kills his value.

Dino Tkachuk

Ottawa Senators
Jan 6, 2009
parlaying Ryan with EK makes sense, Melnyk's motivation seems to be all about saving money
Yeah but you can only save so much money before the cap floor becomes an issue. They must be able to move Ryan in a separate deal if they retain a bit of salary. When healthy he's still a productive player.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Vegas makes a ton of sense. If they cap goes up to 80M as rumoured, they'll have almost 40M in cap space next season with 17 players already on their roster and Neal, Perron, W.Karlsson, and Shea Theodore being their only players to sign. Those players likely cost them about 20 million, so they'd still have roughly 20 million in cap space before adding Karlsson+Ryan.

If this is a situation where Karlsson has asked for a trade, and we have to move him, this could be potentially a good play for Ottawa if Vegas wants Karlsson bad enough to play ball.

Put yourself in George McPhee's shoes, if you could get a top 3 player in the game at 28 years old for something like Theodore+Glass+2018 1st+2019 2nd+2020 2nd, you've gotta do it, even if it means taking on Bobby Ryan.

A lockout is almost certainly coming in 2020, and that might mean another round of compliance buyouts. If that's the case, Vegas would only have to suffer through 1 year where Ryan's 7.25M cap hit overlaps with Karlsson's extension.

Assuming Karlsson has requested a trade, or made known his unwillingness to re-sign, packaging Ryan with Karlsson isn't a bad initial strategy so long as Dorion and emperor of hockey operations Eugene Melnyk are willing to roll with the punches if that kind of deal doesn't materialize. Asking for Ryan to be packaged with Karlsson gives the Senators a huge concession to leave on the table in a counter offer if that kind of deal doesn't happen.

Is it a coincidence that this news dropped right after Dorion was spotted on a plane in DET which apparently is a major hub to head to Vegas? Is this the kind of deal big enough that two GMs need to sit down in person to hash out?

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
To make the money work we'd have to eat 5mil from Mikhail, whose contract finishes this year. This deal almost makes too much sense for me to discount it.

Vegas can add up to 31M in contracts as of today. This is because, teams only have to add the remainder of a players cap hit for the rest of the season at the time of the trade.

The short of it is, they can add Karl+Ryan right now without giving us back any contracts.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
To Columbus: Derick Brassard C & Eric Karlsson RD
To Ottawa: Seth Jones RD, JP Dubois C/LW & Josh Anderson RW

- does Columbus add a pick?

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013

Gino Reda:
Darren, what are the chances Erik Karlsson gets moved?

Darren Dreger: I would say it’s unlikely at this point. Perhaps the chances improve as you drift beyond the NHL trade deadline and into the summer. There’s still that possibility that Erik Karlsson stays with the Ottawa Senators and signs long term.

What we know right now is that Pierre Dorion, the general manager for the Sens, has talked to teams, he’ll continue to talk to teams and he’s listening to that level of interest and you can assume that there is a high amount of interest in Erik Karlsson. Arguably, he’s the top defenceman in the National Hockey League.

It’s also important to note that the Karlsson camp isn’t pushing this. So this is just interest coming from other NHL clubs in the possibility. But what we know is that if Erik Karlsson is getting traded between now and Monday, the Sens are getting a king’s ransom in return.

Bob McKenzie: I think the Ottawa Senators are somewhat open to the idea of trading Erik Karlsson between now and the deadline and as a result those conversations are taking place. But it’s got to be for an absolutely huge haul. We’re hearing upwards for five, six, seven pieces and perhaps teams being asked to take on Bobby Ryan’s contract that has four years to go at more at $7 million a year. So to your point, Darren, I think the prices are astronomical and maybe that means they don’t really want to trade him between now and the deadline. But if they get a king’s ransom then they would consider it.

Insider Trading: Any Karlsson deal may need to include Ryan's contract - Article - TSN

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
The price should be stupidly high. We'll have plenty of time to panic and compromise our price next year if Karlsson doesn't re-sign or will only re-sign for a max salary contract.

Reactions: pzeeman

BobbyRyan

Apr 11, 2016
I have very little faith in Dorion making major trades.

We had better get A LOT more value than say... Girard + Kamenev + Bowers + Hammond + 1st + 2nd + 3rd

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Apparently Kypreos is now saying that "it's a foregone conclusion that Karlsson won't sign in Ottawa".

Reactions: Alex1234

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
Apparently Kypreos is now saying that "it's a foregone conclusion that Karlsson won't sign in Ottawa".

Maybe so. But that's a pretty confident statement to make without any justification. Oh, right, it's Kypreos. He's added nothing to the equation by opening his yap.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
The Karlsson stuff is all so tiresome. Most of it is from the Twitter echo chamber, or the TV panels who desperately want it to be true so they have something to talk about on Monday. Let's think about this logically - does any of this make sense? Of course it doesn't. All we are hearing now is rumors being repeated so often they are being treated as fact. This is Stamkos 2.0, and we all know how that went - he ended up back in Tampa no matter how hard the Toronto media tried to send him there. Karlsson is going to be a Senator post Feb. 26, post draft, all through next season, and on opening night in 2019.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I think I'm probably done with the NHL if Melnyk trades Karlsson without even trying to sign him.

Depending on where he goes, I'll probably switch my allegiances to his team until he retires. But I'll definitely be a much more passive fan and start following the NBA and MLS a little closer.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
I think I'm probably done with the NHL if Melnyk trades Karlsson without even trying to sign him.

Depending on where he goes, I'll probably switch my allegiances to his team until he retires. But I'll definitely be a much more passive fan and start following the NBA and MLS a little closer.
Lol.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

tenor.gif

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon

Don't bother with the NBA unless you like the Warriors. Maybe, MAYBE the Cavs have a chance but that's about it.

Samboni

Jan 26, 2014
A stock broker once warned me about the dangers of falling in love with a stock. The allure of past performance and the hope of greater success can cause an investor to hold the stock beyond the point of profitability and can result in a loss on the investment. This holds true for athletes. For sure EK is a great player, but PD wouldn't be doing his job if he didn't listen to offers. At some point , EK's performance will deteriorate to the point where his value won't be very high. At what point to you trade him, or do you run him into the ground like an old Pontiac?

Reactions: Variable26
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad