Proposal: Following the Karlsson Rumors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duncstar

Sep 1, 2017
Ottawa
Latest rumor reported by Senschirp from CTV News Terry Marcotte is that Karlsson would be packaged with Bobby Ryan.

There is only one team with the cap todo this, and that would be The Vegas Golden Knights.

I have heard this idea before, I beleive from The Athletic, and from Eklund. Seeing what they did with Phaneuf and the fact that Bobby can be a playoff performer, this almost makes sense.

To make the money work we'd have to eat 5mil from Mikhail, whose contract finishes this year. This deal almost makes too much sense for me to discount it.

Trade begins with us getting Shea Theodore...

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Does it really make sense for Vegas?

This is their first year, so the run they're on is a huge bonus, and anything they do in the playoffs is icing on the cake. They don't need to go all in to win this year, so why make a big trade? Why not just stick to the plan?

Ottawa will ask for Theodore, a top prospect like Glass/Suzuki, and a top pick. I don't think that's worth it for them.

If I'm Vegas, maybe I do something small like Smith, but I stick to my guns and see what happens. Then I use my cap space in the next two summers to target a Tavares, Karlsson, Doughty, etc, when I don't have to give up assets and they can supplement my young players.

In a warm, no-tax state, Vegas will be as good a destination for UFAs as any.

Reactions: derriko

Duncstar

Sep 1, 2017
Ottawa
Vegas is missing one thing. A superstar.

Think about how nuts their fans will go? I think Karlsson makes them a serious contender.

I think our team could get really good from this aswell.

If it doesn't happen now, it happens in the offseason.

Reactions: Alex1234

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Vegas is missing one thing. A superstar.

Think about how nuts their fans will go? I think Karlsson makes them a serious contender.

I think our team could get really good from this aswell.

If it doesn't happen now, it happens in the offseason.

Why don't they just use their cap space to go after Tavares, instead of giving up assets for Karlsson?

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
Well, they would have exclusive negotiating rights with EK for a full year, plus they get the option of offering an 8th year on the contract.

Plus, they won't be in a bidding war with a bunch of teams to land a UFA.

Also, if they do trade for Karlsson before the deadline, they'd have him for this playoff run and all of next season.

All that being said, I hope it doesn't happen and EK signs here long term.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Latest rumor reported by Senschirp from CTV News Terry Marcotte is that Karlsson would be packaged with Bobby Ryan.

There is only one team with the cap todo this, and that would be The Vegas Golden Knights.

I have heard this idea before, I beleive from The Athletic, and from Eklund. Seeing what they did with Phaneuf and the fact that Bobby can be a playoff performer, this almost makes sense.

To make the money work we'd have to eat 5mil from Mikhail, whose contract finishes this year. This deal almost makes too much sense for me to discount it.

I think EDM can do it as well.. We need to bring back a bad contract.
trade begins with us getting Drai... I would rather have an EK deal that brought us back Drai than Theodore

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
parlaying Ryan with EK makes sense, Melnyk's motivation seems to be all about saving money

I don't think it makes sense at all to do that considering the other team that would potentially acquire Ryan and EK would then likely not be able to allocate the needed money towards EK's new contract.

That would basically mean 19M tied up to two players. One very good and the other very bad. Only 2-3 teams would be able to do that and fitting in a 12M player in a cap world is already hard enough now imagine doing that and then basically reducing your cap space by 7M.

That would reduce Karlsson's value significantly and this is one a situation where Dorion can f*** it up. If he trades Karlsson he needs to set up this team for the future in terms of assets and not money.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
parlaying Ryan with EK makes sense, Melnyk's motivation seems to be all about saving money

Assuming this rumour has any truth to it, this is just about saving money, and Melnyk's current financial situation, which would appear to be, not good.

It's certainly not a good hockey trade, and if there is any truth to it, I might hope that the league steps in, and finds you guys some new ownership. As much as my Leafs, and your Sens have a rivalry, it's always more fun when both teams are competitive, and such a transaction makes the opposite likely.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
In no way, shape, or form would this ever happen. I think Dorion is in over his head but if you think he would take anything less than a king's ransom for Karlsson you're crazy. He will not be packaged with Karlsson lol.

The CTV guy who reported this is not "in the know" and doesn't have sources. I suspect a lot of these guys are trying to increase the hype around deadline day.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
In no way, shape, or form would this ever happen. I think Dorion is in over his head but if you think he would take anything less than a king's ransom for Karlsson you're crazy. He will not be packaged with Karlsson lol.

The CTV guy who reported this is not "in the know" and doesn't have sources. I suspect a lot of these guys are trying to increase the hype around deadline day.

How do you know he doesn't have sources? Marcotte isn't one to make things up or for click bait.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Look at this proposal I have bumped into on CapFriendly... unfortunately lol

TOR
  1. Karlsson, E
  2. Ryan, B ($3,575,000 retained)

OTT

1. Polák, R.
  2. Pickard, C.
  3. Bracco, J.
  4. Borgman, A.
  5. Leivo, J.
  6. 2018 1st round pick (TOR)
  7. 2018 2nd round pick (TOR)
  8. 2019 2nd round pick (TOR)

Here's how I compared that package :

Johnny Oduya (Polák, R.)
Mike Condon (Pickard, C.)
Francis Perron (Bracco, J.)
Fredrik Claesson (Borgman, A.)
Nick Paul (Leivo, J.)
20XX 1st round pick (OTT)
20XX 2nd round pick (OTT)

Note : Assume that the picks are going to be late picks, like Toronto's should be

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
Look what I have bumped into on CapFriendly... unfortunately lol

TOR
  1. Karlsson, E
  2. Ryan, B ($3,575,000 retained)

OTT

1. Polák, R.
  2. Pickard, C.
  3. Bracco, J.
  4. Borgman, A.
  5. Leivo, J.
  6. 2018 1st round pick (TOR)
  7. 2018 2nd round pick (TOR)
  8. 2019 2nd round pick (TOR)

Here's how I compared that package :

Johnny Oduya (Polák, R.)
Mike Condon (Pickard, C.)
Francis Perron (Bracco, J.)
Fredrik Claesson (Borgman, A.)
Nick Paul (Leivo, J.)
20XX 1st round pick (OTT)

Note : Assume that the picks are going to be late picks, like Toronto's should be
Imagine trading Karlsson to Toronto and not even getting back one of Marner or Nylander.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Imagine trading Karlsson to Toronto and not even getting back one of Marner or Nylander.

I'd just suicide my Sens fan character.

Remove Karlsson and the picks and I would be pissed if it was the package in return for Ryan at 50% retained salary

TOR

Ryan, B ($3,575,000 retained)

OTT

1. Polák, R.
  2. Pickard, C.
  3. Bracco, J.
  4. Borgman, A.
  5. Leivo, J.

Some people really really don't get this "negative value" thing. They think you have to retain more than the part of the salary that is overpaid AND you have to take cap dumps and also don't have to give you anything of value.

If Ryan was UFA this summer, I'm sure several teams would line up to sign him at 3.575 for 4 years.

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
I'd just suicide my Sens fan character.

Remove Karlsson and the picks and I would be pissed if it was the package in return for Ryan at 50% retained salary

TOR

Ryan, B ($3,575,000 retained)

OTT

1. Polák, R.
  2. Pickard, C.
  3. Bracco, J.
  4. Borgman, A.
  5. Leivo, J.
That just might just get me to be a leafs fan. Never thought I'd say that...

Duncstar

Sep 1, 2017
Ottawa
Vegas has all the stuff we want. Shea is 22 yrs old and playing great. They are LOADED with pics in 2019. Mostly 2nd/3rd round but f*** no one else can match that. They have a huge amount of cap without Mikhail (12.75 mil). They just took a tonne of prospects from 2017.

Seriously, theyre probably better and a more likely trading partner then Tampa.

Oh and don't forget, we dont play Karl that much because he'd be out WEST.
IF your going to trade him, this makes way too much sense.

Who else is going to give a kings ransom other than the city of gold? Stop thinking with your heart ppl and think with your head if you want a cup.

Bonus point, I get to cheer for Vegas lol.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Terry Marcotte planted the rumour himself because he doesn't like Bobby Ryan, if anyone hears him on TSN1200, that is obvious. He just isn't as good at this rumour mill thing like Dreger and others lol. Like embarrassingly bad at it.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008

latest rumour from dregs is that the chance of karl being moved is low

pzeeman

May 15, 2013
Aylmer
Here's a rumour (I just made up):

July 7 - Erik Karlsson re-signs with Ottawa Senators
Eight years, AAV of $10.5M
Frontloaded, with declining real salary starting in year 5 of this contract.
Significant point total, playoff and award bonuses throughout term of contract.

Let me have it. :popcorn:

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Either such offer to Ottawa doesn't exist, or there is a secret suitor (Columbus?) competing for Brassard. Either way, it appears he is Ottawa's biggest chip in this trade deadline.

Erik Karlsson is not being traded, that's a bridge that the organization will cross in the summer when they talk contracts. Says Armani, **** Nick Kypreos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad