Confirmed with Link: Foligno to Toronto for TOR 1st 2021, 4th 2022

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
I’m sad to see Nick the person go , but a new era of blue jackets hockey is coming , will be interesting to see if Jones is named the next captain .

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: LetsGOJackets!!

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
He looked really damn good his first 5 games , and then Torts had to make him his project to fix . That skill didn’t go away . His confidence did however . Personally , it will take a huge overpay for Jarmo to move Laine . He scouted him thoroughly , and would have taken him in a heartbeat over PLD .

I’m sad to see Nick the person go , but a new era of blue jackets hockey is coming , will be interesting to see if Jones is named the next captain .
I guarantee you that Jones nor anyone else will be named Captain this season. The C will not be handed out until next season.

Reactions: Byrral

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
I have no problem with bandwagoning the Leafs for multiple reasons, some of which I've already mentioned here, but there's a few others:
  • While I wish the Bolts well, I'm probably not going to be able to root for them. My #2 team comes first, after all. And...
  • The Leafs play in the North, against that one team we exiled The Traitor to. April 21, 23, and 24 are going to be circled on my calendar.
    mwahaha.gif

Wait, you’re not doing to cheer for Dubois and the Jets?!

BTW, savvy fans would hope TB and T.O. lose in the first round to increase the value of your trade compensation.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Maybe not but you have to remember he has to be careful here or the CBJ/him could get in trouble by the league for tampering. IIRC its illegal for the CBJ to directly talk to Foligno about a "wink wink" contract. So if he comes out and says "Oh yeah, I'm definitely coming back" or even subtly implying it, could land him and the team in hot water. Also, it would look bad for him in his new locker room.

I bet there's a 75% chance he returns.

Also:

"until the cannon fires again"

He also could end up really happy there and Toronto somehow finds a way to keep him if they feel the need. There are no guarantees until pen touches paper. I do feel there is a good chance he comes back but I'm in no way banking on it because a lot can happen between now and July 1.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
He also could end up really happy there and Toronto somehow finds a way to keep him if they feel the need. There are no guarantees until pen touches paper. I do feel there is a good chance he comes back but I'm in no way banking on it because a lot can happen between now and July 1.

Maybe so, but given the fact he's keeping his family here during his time in Toronto, I don't think staying there is too likely. Plus with their cap crunch I don't even think its possible unless he takes a Spezza/Thornton type contract.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I have to be honest and vent a bt.

I know myself and a lot of us have complained about how listless the team has looked this year and things need to change if we are ever going to take the next step. It may be a situation where it needs to get worse before it gets better but the trade of Foligno really hit me tonight. It really does signify the end of an era. We are transitioning to a new beginning. We have no idea if this new beginning will help make things better or will make things worse. I'm sad that all of the players who really signified the heart of this team are now gone.

It all started with Jack Johnson, Brandon Dubinsky, Nick Foligno and continued with guys like David Savard, Derek McKenzie and Matt Calvert.

They are all gone now and I don't know who will step up and be a leader on this team. I'm not sure we have one right now. The remaining games this season will show me a lot of who cares about being a Blue Jackets and who cares about getting paid. I still think we need a change from Torts but whoever comes in to replace him needs to help re-instill that team pride and we need the players that will buy into whatever that is. I don't know that I can explain why but I think that team pride started eroding in the Panarin/Bobrovsky year. For as much as Jarmo likes to search for character guys, I feel like we don't really have any left.

It is a sad day to be a CBJ fan and I hope these moves help find a way to turn the corner.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Maybe so, but given the fact he's keeping his family here during his time in Toronto, I don't think staying there is too likely. Plus with their cap crunch I don't even think its possible unless he takes a Spezza/Thornton type contract.
Certainly highly unlikely. I do certainly feel like he would prefer to end his career here but for all we know Jarmo could end up low ball him or if Torts goes and a new coach is in place he may no longer be a good fit for whatever route they choose to go. We do know that they had discussions about a contract extension but nothing was ever agreed to so we have no idea where things might go.

Reactions: CBJWerenski8

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
i'll go a step further and say that I think Nick Foligno NEEDS to resign here in the offseason. I can't think of any other player that the CBJ could end up acquiring who could step into this room and say "This is where I want to be."

The best thing that could happen to the CBJ right now is Nick Foligno going off and winning a cup in Toronto and then saying "I'm coming home. Who is with me?"

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Foligno will be properly used on the Leafs.. 3rd liner minutes, no special teams. Im looking forward to the playoffs.. Im betting Savvy gets a cup

Foligno is almost certainly going to be on their PK and MIGHT be on their 2nd unit PP.

Nitpicky yes, but honestly I do get irritated by people around here who don't think Foligno would play special teams anywhere else but here.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
For as much as Jarmo likes to search for character guys, I feel like we don't really have any left.

The "character guys" you mentioned were all Howson acquisitions. Jenner and Anderson were also drafted by him.

Is it possible we can admit that Howson did a good job on something?

Jarmo has been the one gradually trading/letting go of that legacy. I could understand it for a while - we could afford to lose a little grit to get some talent. But we stopped being flush with character a while ago and now we might just be in dire need of it.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
i'll go a step further and say that I think Nick Foligno NEEDS to resign here in the offseason. I can't think of any other player that the CBJ could end up acquiring who could step into this room and say "This is where I want to be."

The best thing that could happen to the CBJ right now is Nick Foligno going off and winning a cup in Toronto and then saying "I'm coming home. Who is with me?"
If he does though it needs to be much much less than his current salary.

Buckcub

Jul 22, 2009
C-Bus
Bittersweet day, end of an era (whether Fligs comes back or not, we rightly decided this team couldn't compete for a cup this year).

Let's put some respect on ownership, though. We got two 1st rd picks because they decided to pay almost $5mil in dead money to Savard and Foligno. That's not something they had to do with fan restrictions and low attendance. We have worried a lot about how this team spends money. This was good.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Call me crazy but we've seen teams pull off quick turn arounds before. I think the Jackets need a makeover not a brickover.

In 2017-18 the Blues missed the playoffs. Then that summer they traded for ROR, then signed Perron, Bozak, and Maroon. It was a homecoming of sorts for both Perron and Maroon. Maroon grew up there, and Perron was returning for his third stint with the team.

Of course the Jackets are playing way worse than the Blues were that year, so adjust your expectations downward a bit from "stanley cup". But I'll take half-decent and work from there.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Let's put some respect on ownership, though. We got two 1st rd picks because they decided to pay almost $5mil in dead money to Savard and Foligno. That's not something they had to do with fan restrictions and low attendance. We have worried a lot about how this team spends money. This was good.

iNtErNaL cAp!!

Call me crazy but we've seen teams pull off quick turn arounds before. I think the Jackets need a makeover not a brickover.

In 2017-18 the Blues missed the playoffs. Then that summer they traded for ROR, then signed Perron, Bozak, and Maroon. It was a homecoming of sorts for both Perron and Maroon. Maroon grew up there, and Perron was returning for his third stint with the team.

Of course the Jackets are playing way worse than the Blues were that year, so adjust your expectations downward a bit from "stanley cup". But I'll take half-decent and work from there.

Yeah I agree. But we need that RoR to be available lol.

Finner

Dec 8, 2018
Foligno bringed back more than Hall. Jarmo have done good trades and getting us picks. But which bandwagon should i jump? Tampa fk no, Tor and avoiding Stanley cup is too fun so no for Tor im going to enjoy memes about maple leafs missory. Sooo lets go Calvert and Avs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad