Confirmed with Link: Foligno to Toronto for TOR 1st 2021, 4th 2022

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Very hard couple of days. It truly is the end of the CBJ "playoff" era and a cap to the most successful run in franchise history. It was a great ride. And Foligno and the others that came with him during those hard hard years (Johnson, Foligno, Dubinsky, etc) are the ones who made our culture what it is today. I fear that culture has now gone by the wayside and we will have to establish a new one.

I don't know if that means a massive rebuild is coming, or a minor one, or a set back year where we gather assets and make some moves to try to contend again next year. IDK. But today sucks. The picks are exciting but its a lot more fun to be contending.

Foligno is far and away the best captain in CBJ history. One of my favorite all time players, and a true gentleman on and off the ice. I hope its not the true end and he returns this summer, but there is obviously a chance that it is. And if thats so, its very sad. I wish him nothing but the best in the playoffs with the Leafs and I think he will be a huge huge piece to their puzzle.

Thanks Fliggy, good luck and hopefully see you soon.
Well said. He is everything you said. I want Foligno to finish his career here and am anticipating his return next season. If he doesn’t, I’ll still be wearing my two Foligno jerseys proudly.

Reactions: LJ7201

JacketLife

Aug 2, 2020
First thought: so sad.
Second thought: we knew he was worth a first. Fans of other teams can suck it.
Third though: oh God, I’ll have to root for TO or TB in the PO. Puke
Fourth thought: win a cup, Fligs, and then come home.

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
Not a fan of the price...

How's Foligno been this year? What should I expect from him as a leafs fan? Does he PK or play net front on power plays? What role is he best suited for.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
First thought: so sad.
Second thought: we knew he was worth a first. Fans of other teams can suck it.
Third though: oh God, I’ll have to root for TO or TB in the PO. Puke
Fourth thought: win a cup, Fligs, and then come home.
I have no problem with bandwagoning the Leafs for multiple reasons, some of which I've already mentioned here, but there's a few others:
  • While I wish the Bolts well, I'm probably not going to be able to root for them. My #2 team comes first, after all. And...
  • The Leafs play in the North, against that one team we exiled The Traitor to. April 21, 23, and 24 are going to be circled on my calendar.
    mwahaha.gif

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

How's Foligno been this year? What should I expect from him as a leafs fan? Does he PK or play net front on power plays? What role is he best suited for.
He's a good PKer, stellar defensively, and has occasionally done net front on power plays although the last time he was really effective there was when Sam Gagner was here and playing out of his mind. I'm not sure which guys on the Leafs handle puck retrieval on the PP along the back boards; that's one of the things we've used him for a lot, so it's not impossible he'll see time there, but it's not his strength. Really, he's a third defenseman and a motivator.

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
He's a good PKer, stellar defensively, and has occasionally done net front on power plays although the last time he was really effective there was when Sam Gagner was here and playing out of his mind. I'm not sure which guys on the Leafs handle puck retrieval on the PP along the back boards; that's one of the things we've used him for a lot, so it's not impossible he'll see time there, but it's not his strength. Really, he's a third defenseman and a motivator.

Thank you, I haven't been able to catch many CBJ games with the new format.

But, essentially sounds like a second Hyman type player for us. Looks like he can be a fit on one of the top 2 lines, moving Hyman down to the third.

Also, how is Rielly Nash? We don't expect him to slot in our lineup, but if he is healthy and injuries arise, what should we expect from him?

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

But, essentially sounds like a second Hyman type player for us. Looks like he can be a fit on one of the top 2 lines, moving Hyman down to the third.

Also, how is Rielly Nash? We don't expect him to slot in our lineup, but if he is healthy and injuries arise, what should we expect from him?

PKer. Solid defensively. I almost guarantee he's in your lineup if he's healthy.

Lucky you on not watching us this year

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

"Second Hyman" is probably fair.

Nash is a #4C. A very good #4C, but a #4C. PKer, good defensively, occasionally comes out of nowhere to score (particularly in the playoffs) so he's an "unexpected playoff hero" candidate, but that's the limit of it. Still good to have.

Reactions: Mitch nylander

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

Best suited for a 3rd line PKing role. He does all the little things right. Has decent speed, physical, decent puck skills, strong on the puck and in the corners. Reliable defensively, and able to take (and win draws). Shot blocker and smart player.

He can play PP if needed, but I wouldnt say its his strong suit. If he does play PP, net front is where he'd be. Decent at tipping pucks, good at jamming rebounds. Will take a beating for the team. If he plays PP I bet he has more success than he did here due to actually have functioning offensive players to play with.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011

He will more likely be on your 3rd line as the best player on that line. And he will see plenty of PK time. And if needed, he’ll will be a guy to keep teammates from being victimized.

Reactions: HockeyVirus

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008

Congrats on Foligno. He'll do the dirty work for the scorers. High character/great teammate. Sorry about your luck on Nash. Passionless robot. Doubt he'll play much for you.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I personally will root for the Florida Blue Jackets this post season

I think me too.

As of now Toronto would face Montreal and Florida would face Tampa in the opening round.

Who do we root for?

Josh Anderson's Habs or Nick Foligno's Leafs?

David Savard's Bolts or Zito/Bob/Wenny/Nuti's Panthers?

I'm going for the Panthers. I'm not sure about the other series.

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
I don't know, if Seth Jones won't commit to signing a deal I think that sets off a nuclear explosion to the roster.

I agree. Seth Jones holds the key to where this off-season goes. I’ll hold my thoughts on that one for a later time.

As for this trade - can’t ask for a better return. These picks will give Jarmo a lot of options moving forward.

And I fully expected MDZ to give us another mid round pick tomorrow. Scouts better be doing their homework!

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I think me too.

As of now Toronto would face Montreal and Florida would face Tampa in the opening round.

Who do we root for?

Josh Anderson's Habs or Nick Foligno's Leafs?

David Savard's Bolts or Zito/Bob/Wenny/Nuti's Panthers?

I'm going for the Panthers. I'm not sure about the other series.

Former Jackets with opportunities will be part of how rooting shapes up as the playoffs go on but I’ve got an established rooting hierarchy for teams.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
What is it, I'm curious?

I forgot to mention Calvert's Avs, they are a joy to watch.

Short version
Columbus
Pittsburgh
Toronto/Nashville

Long version
Columbus - obvious
Pittsburgh - it’s my hometown and the team I grew up with - although I admit it’s trickier in recent years to live directly from hate
Toronto - my dad’s favorite team prior to Pittsburgh getting an NHL team, the Hornets were, for a while, a Leafs affiliate
Nashville - a buddy and I went to a game during their inaugural season to see what expansion NHL hockey looked like. A couple years later my SIL and BIL moved there and I have taken in a game almost every season since

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad