Confirmed with Link: Foligno signs 6 Year, 33 Mil Extension

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
It's not that hard to figure out...the front office will commit long term to the guys in the room, especially those who work hard and are leaders. See: Dubi. You can throw out comparables left and right, but this team with this style is better with those two guys. If it's a few hundred thousand $$ extra, who really cares...

You don't pay just for goals. There's leadership, there's style of play, etc. etc. It was a similar contract to what we would have gotten on the market anyway and the cap is going to go up.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
Guess my mom can get that 71 jersey now. She told me at the start of the year she wanted his jersey and I told her to wait since he was UFA after this season.

Give me a team of Folignos

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
You have called this contract "awesome" in 2 threads now. Do you know that Foligno is making the same money as Tavares? Is he really worth that much? Foligno = Tavares?

:loony:

Tavares is younger with a much higher ceiling - who will make a boat load more his next contract as a result.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
May be a bit over priced for his overall skill ceiling, but he makes up for the rest with his character. He's that hybrid type power forward that has some elite skill in there with the grit.

It's not that hard to figure out...the front office will commit long term to the guys in the room, especially those who work hard and are leaders. See: Dubi. You can throw out comparables left and right, but this team with this style is better with those two guys. If it's a few hundred thousand $$ extra, who really cares...

You don't pay just for goals. There's leadership, there's style of play, etc. etc. It was a similar contract to what we would have gotten on the market anyway and the cap is going to go up.

Well said.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
There seems to be a belief that the salary cap is going to be on some steep, upward trajectory and that is not necessarily true.

This year's cap is $69 million. Next year's cap may be around $73 million, but that is very uncertain.
NHL general managers are no longer operating under the assumption that the cap is going to increase next season.

http://nypost.com/2014/11/08/theres-a-good-chance-the-nhl-salary-cap-wont-increase/

NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman told representatives from the 30 teams Monday an initial projection for the salary cap during the 2015-16 season is about $73 million.

Speaking at the annual December meeting for the Board of Governors, Commissioner Bettman provided the League's early look at what the 2015-16 salary cap should be, contingent on a couple of key factors.

"I went over a series of projections, preliminary, preliminary projections," Bettman said. “Estimates that are not carved in stone, but our best guess based on the information available making lots of lots of assumptions on things like revenue growth in the year and perhaps, as significantly, what may happen with the Canadian dollar. Our best guess, and it's got some variation in it, that if the Canadian dollar stays where it is now for the rest of the season, which is about 88 cents, the cap for next season would be approximately $73 million.

"It's just a guess and it is subject to variation."
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=743047

The collapse of the oil market has had some severe ramifications in the currency market, the relevant currency being the Canadian dollar. It's trading a 86 cents to the US dollar. That's down significantly-especially over a five year period-and also down 2 cents from Bettman's comments two weeks ago.

http://www.canadianforex.ca/forex-tools/my-fx-dashboard

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
I blame Howson for the direction this thread has taken. If he hadn't traded the team's 7th defenseman for Foligno, we wouldn't even be sitting here arguing about overpayment.

I think we all know who the real villain is here.

(Happy New Year to all):nod:

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I blame Howson for the direction this thread has taken. If he hadn't traded the team's 7th defenseman for Foligno, we wouldn't even be sitting here arguing about overpayment.

When your boy gets a new gig as a GM he'll be vindicated.:naughty:

Until then, he's just another assistant captain rearranging the deck chairs on The Titanic that is known as the Edmonton Oilers.:D

Happy New Year back at ya:)

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137

This, so much this. Without Foligno, this team likely ends similar to the 2012 season, which is good or bad(I really want Mceichelfin). He and BOBROVSKY are worry every penny they're going to get.

Jarmo is a euro GM and most euros pay for the future not for what they've done in the past, Foligno is in his prime and has solidified himself as a key cog on this team. I've said it ever since we traded for him and I saw his first interview that this was going to be a guy where if given a top line role he's going to take it and never look back, his hunger, drive and passion to win and succeed is worth what he's getting paid.

I just really hope what he and Dubinsky bring off the ice rubs off on Johansen. He's got the skill but if he had the heart like those two i think he could be a top 5 center in the league hands down.

CBJRzeznik

Mar 8, 2014
2nd liner in 2015 = $5 mil+ AAV. Consider it a $500k overpayment if it makes you feel better, and a year too long. That's the price you pay not to lose him.

Well Said. All the arguing that this was steep overpayment is much ado about nothing. If FO wanted to keep him an AAV above 5 million w/ meaningful term was the cost given some teams would have gone to, or above 6 million for Foligno come July. Anyone believing Nick should have taken a home town discount between 4-5 just wasn't being realistic. Though I suspect those same people arguing that Nick is now overpaid would have been the loudest critics of the Jarmo & JD had they let him walk in FA.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
“@Aportzline: #CBJ Nick Foligno: "I want to be the guy who plays in every situation – power play, penalty kill, late in games, etc. That’s the ... "â€

“@Aportzline: "ultimate show of respect from your coach, and it’s my job to earn that."â€

“@Aportzline: Foligno seemed mystified he played so rarely on the penalty kill in Ottawa. "That’s a part of my game I want to get back in Columbus."â€

This is the interview I was talking about when he was first traded, can't seem to find it anywhere, but this is the interview that I knew the moment I watched it that if given the chance to play In a top 6 role this guy is gonna excel. And he's done everything he said he would.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華

Methot has been playing big-minutes in Ottawa and fans appreciate what he brings to the table, so it's not like Howson got Foligno for nothing. Still a win-win deal though.

CBJSlash

Aug 13, 2003
The Bus
Visit site
I have two blank jerseys I can stitch up. One will be Foligno. The other will probably be Jenner, but I don't know if he loves 38 :)

I've thought about Jack too, but I've gotten weary at each trade deadline.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
When your boy gets a new gig as a GM he'll be vindicated.:naughty:

Until then, he's just another assistant captain rearranging the deck chairs on The Titanic that is known as the Edmonton Oilers.:D

What's that saying about a prophet without honor?;)

Methot has been playing big-minutes in Ottawa and fans appreciate what he brings to the table, so it's not like Howson got Foligno for nothing. Still a win-win deal though.

I think Howson and Murray like each other fine; they've traded twice and improved their team at minimal cost.

First time was Leclaire-for-Vermette. Ottawa gave up a guy on their third line for a goalie and a 2nd-rounder, which became Robin Lehner. Columbus gave up an injured guy and a 2nd-rounder for someone who could log a ton of minutes in all situations and got his best years.

Methot-for-Foligno was the second time. Ottawa trades another third-liner and gets someone who can slot in on the first pairing, Columbus trades a guy who was on the third pairing or in the press box and gets someone who can play first-line minutes in all situations.

Both teams got better at no real cost to themselves.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Would have preferred a five year deal at $5M per year. So a bit more contract than I would have liked.....but I am excited to keep Foligno. For me,if they Re to hand out a "C", I think he is my choice thought I don't know it's a problem not having a C.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Snidley Whiplash???

natasha_fatalle___boris_badenov.gif

Boris Badenov! :laugh:

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
As for the contract.........thats a lot of money for a guy with his career numbers and age, but he's certainly playing up to that contract this season. I would never doubt his character, I just hope his gas tank doesn't shrink after this season.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
As for the contract.........thats a lot of money for a guy with his career numbers and age, but he's certainly playing up to that contract this season. I would never doubt his character, I just hope his gas tank doesn't shrink after this season.

He's 27. Not 30

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad