Confirmed with Link: Foligno signs 6 Year, 33 Mil Extension

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
Not particularly fond of the term, hope there isn't an NTC.

With that said, he's an awesome fit in our Top 6 and drives the play even when he isn't scoring. It should work out for us

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
He probably would have gotten more in free agency, IMO.

How?

Ok, I'm going to have to sign off here before I tear my hair out. That's about the only thing I have going for me.

Foligno better put up 55+ point seasons the rest of his career. He is now getting paid to produce; not be a second line two-way player. Until this season, 40 points was a bit of a chore for him. The guy is in the ballpark of Duchene.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Let's keep in mind that we just gave Foligno a comparable contract to what we gave Nathan Horton the previous offseason.

I love Foligno, but he has not had the same level of production has Horton. Not even close. I've been a defender of JK; but this one I just can't see. I also can't see how we're happy about it beyond have Foligno in the fold for the next six years. I'm happy for him and his family; but not for our salary situation.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
How?

Ok, I'm going to have to sign off here before I tear my hair out. That's about the only thing I have going for me.

Foligno better put up 55+ point seasons the rest of his career. He is now getting paid to produce; not be a second line two-way player. Until this season, 40 points was a bit of a chore for him. The guy is in the ballpark of Duchene.

How? Have you followed FA at all over the last 4+ years?

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
How? Have you followed FA at all over the last 4+ years?

Yes I have. You can't tell me that contracts changed in one offseason enough to give Foligno a bigger cap hit than Horton - whose stats are FAR superior to Foligno's. By far superior, I mean not even close.

You are going to pay a guy 5.5 that has NEVER reached 20s goal until this season; assuming he isn't injured. For a guy that, until this season, had only produced a top six pace once in his career previously (sub 30 minute PROD). On top of that he's a winger.

This deal I don't understand. He better put up 25/55 moving forward or we really regret this deal. In two or three seasons he could easily be pushed down the depth chart with what we have coming up in forwards.

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
Since the 2011-12 season, which Foligno entered as a 23 year old, he has shot at a 13.76% pace. 230 NHL games in that time span. The shooting percentage is considerably higher over his past 103 games, too.

Yes, he won't shoot at 23% or whatever going forward, but the changes in his usage (move from 3rd line to top 6, move to 1st PP unit, playing with Johansen) provides him the ability to still score 20+ goals per season going forward.

Assuming Foligno can take 150 shots on goal in an 82 game season, which is less than 2 shots per game, he will score 20+ goals with a 13.76% shooting pace. Even if he somehow nosedives down to 10% shooting, he can still be a 20+ goal scorer while taking less than 3 shots per game (very reasonable to expect 200+ shots on goal in a healthy season from a top 6/top PP unit player). For example, Cam Atkinson had 216 shots on goal in the 2013-14 season and he wasn't a top line player.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
How do you figure? It probably would have cost more.

I'm of the thinking that in the absence of this year's unusual stats that he would have been $4.5-5 million/year over 5 years type of deal. I think he gained a ton of leverage this season due to his career best scoring.

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
I'm of the thinking that in the absence of this year's unusual stats that he would have been $4.5-5 million/year over 5 years type of deal. I think he gained a ton of leverage this season due to his career best scoring.
He gained leverage because the CBJ organization placed him in a position to succeed, and succeed he did. Good for Foligno to take the opportunity presented and make something of it. We should be ecstatic that he's thrived here and locked up for the future.

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
Yes I have. You can't tell me that contracts changed in one offseason enough to give Foligno a bigger cap hit than Horton - whose stats are FAR superior to Foligno's. By far superior, I mean not even close.
So you're telling me that a player given ample opportunity on the top line/top PP unit of a Stanley Cup winning team has better stats than a player used in the middle 6, and sparingly on the PP, while with teams that were in the bottom half of the league?!

I'm shocked.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
He gained leverage because the CBJ organization placed him in a position to succeed, and succeed he did. Good for Foligno to take the opportunity presented and make something of it. We should be ecstatic that he's thrived here and locked up for the future.

I'm happy for his success. I'd always look at his stats and they didn't seem to equate to his ability.

It's certainly not a horrible contract-even if his production doesn't continue on its present pace.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
So you're telling me that a player given ample opportunity on the top line/top PP unit of a Stanley Cup winning team has better stats than a player used in the middle 6, and sparingly on the PP, while with teams that were in the bottom half of the league?!

I'm shocked.

What a silly statement. Contracts are not result based. Beyond silly really. It doesn't matter how he was used in the past. There are reasons that Horton got the ice time on a good team and Foligno didn't on inferior teams. If you think that Foligno is worth Dubinsky money; more power to you. Dubinsky stats are closer, in comparison, but he's also a center. I thought we also overpaid on Dubinsky a bit. We are overpaying for intangibles. Could pay off, I hope it does.

4.5-4.75 is a much closer number.

I know we love him around here; I know I do. But this is a very risky contract and an over-payment. A 30 year old Foligno could easily look like a harder working Umberger.

I'm very nervous to see what we give AA if we decide to keep him.

Last edited:

alphafox

Jun 14, 2011
Surprised, but when you look at the UFAs coming available in the next few years (at least the ones that will actually make it to UFA) the $ aren't outrageous. Bottom line is I'd rather have Foligno than not have him. Additionally this seems to be a good message to the rest of the roster that if you put in the work and play the right way you will be rewarded.

jackets4life

Jan 16, 2013
Section 203
Put me in the "good job Jarmo" group. I think this is an extremely fair deal. Longer term, sure, but I think this is a player who will prove his worth given an extended and continued opportunity in a first line type role.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I kind of agree with everyone. More than I thought at the beginning of the year but his play so far raised his price. No way could Jarmo let him walk in FA. I think the term and dollars are okay given the circumstances and it was about as low as Jarmo could go. Also the partial no trade is beneficial. Hopefully he puts up 50+ points per going forward or he will become the next Umbie on these boards. Time will be the final arbiter here.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
5.5 for 6 years isn't bad considering the cap is soaring up. 5.5 in a few years will like like 4.5 now. It's a fair contract.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Lots of money tied up now in Foligno, Dubinsky, Hartnell, Johansen, and Horton (will he count against the cap or not??), looks like we're gonna have to find some bargains in the bottom 6. Jarmo will need to work his magic on the Atkinson contract and probably trade Anisimov.

Horton should be on LTIR at the start of next year, so no it doesn't count against the cap, unless he tries to keep playing.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Great deal in my opinion. The 6 years makes me extra happy about it. We could spend a lot of time talking about the meaning of "overpayment".. I'm not entirely sure how folks are using it here. There's no question to my mind that Foligno could have gotten more in UFA this summer, he was going to be the top forward UFA with the cap still rising. He gave us a deal.

What a silly statement. Contracts are not result based. Beyond silly really. It doesn't matter how he was used in the past. There are reasons that Horton got the ice time on a good team and Foligno didn't on inferior teams. If you think that Foligno is worth Dubinsky money; more power to you. Dubinsky stats are closer, in comparison, but he's also a center. I thought we also overpaid on Dubinsky a bit. We are overpaying for intangibles. Could pay off, I hope it does.

Foligno's 5 on 5 per-minute scoring rate has been great for years now. What's changed is extra minutes 5 on 5 and a big improvement (probably unsustainable) in powerplay scoring. This year isn't a complete abberation. It was always a mystery why Foligno didn't score more given the amount of chances he creates. Now the mystery seems to have been solved.

And we should be happy to pay a little for the intangibles and versatility. If you think Dubinsky being a center is a huge plus - well playing at center is another of Foligno's tricks. He has a lot of tricks, and you have to pay for that.

CBJfan4evr

Mar 8, 2008
New Albany
don't get the "overpay" comments - this is what he was headed for on the open market. no chance i would have wanted to see him suit up for someone else.

Agree, put it this way, I'd rather be having this positive news to start off the year rather than reading somebody else steps up and pays him the big bucks in the FA market come July. Good on you JK

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Lots of money tied up now in Foligno, Dubinsky, Hartnell, Johansen, and Horton (will he count against the cap or not??), looks like we're gonna have to find some bargains in the bottom 6. Jarmo will need to work his magic on the Atkinson contract and probably trade Anisimov.

Don't forget signing Jenner, Murray, and Bobrovsky within the next few years. And if he keeps it up Connauton will command a raise.

I'm fine with trading Atkinson

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
You won't find many bigger fans than I; but I have no idea how you can justify 5.5 for a guy with 102 goals in 500 games. A bit of man crush is, perhaps, coloring things.

Nah. My posting history will show I wasn't even sure if he should be on the 2nd line two seasons ago. He's developed nicely into a legit top sixer since then. Candidly, I'd rather see him on our top line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad