Confirmed with Link: Foligno Extension - 3.1 Million AAV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
No he isn't. He's a clown who gives Russo all the access he could ever want, so Russo repays it by pumping his tires in the press.

Is anybody that gives an interview Public Enemy #1 or something? I know your default is to hate signings, but what a weird connection to make.

Reactions: Nsjohnson

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Is anybody that gives an interview Public Enemy #1 or something? I know your default is to hate signings, but what a weird connection to make.
Tired of people regurgitating the bullshit that Russo writes as fact. Foligno is a quality 4th line player who is very good on the PK. He isn't some great leader, voice of the team, protector of teammates.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Tired of people regurgitating the bullshit that Russo writes as fact. Foligno is a quality 4th line player who is very good on the PK. He isn't some great leader, voice of the team, protector of teammates.

To be a little fair, last year at least, he was more than just a 4th liner.

If he holds a 3rd line spot in the lineup, and holds his 2019-20 production, then in a vacuum, his price is probably "fair". Whether or not it's something we should've done in our current and near-future situation is another question.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
I don’t know that any of us are in a position to back up these claims. Take him for what he is, a defensively responsible bottom 6 guy who was on pace for 35 points over a full season last year. I’m not a fan of the signing even if you think these things are true, but I don’t think the you need to label everything that Guerin does as egregious as it seems you have been.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
Guess the debate on twitter, now they think Foligno will be protected, and Eriksson Ek will be exposed because he's basically just a mediocre player who can't climb bottom 6. I'm not so sure this will happen, but it's debatable.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Guess the debate on twitter, now they think Foligno will be protected, and Eriksson Ek will be exposed because he's basically just a mediocre player who can't climb bottom 6. I'm not so sure this will happen, but it's debatable.

And what is Foligno, exactly?

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
To be a little fair, last year at least, he was more than just a 4th liner.

If he holds a 3rd line spot in the lineup, and holds his 2019-20 production, then in a vacuum, his price is probably "fair". Whether or not it's something we should've done in our current and near-future situation is another question.
I really like the player that Foligno is, but how could anyone want him to "hold a 3rd line spot" with this roster? Career high of 25 points. If you can show me comparable players making $3M I will gladly eat crow on this but, IMO, he's a $2M per levelof player.

The bigger problem for me is that this is the 3rd straight time that Guerin has been in a rush to overpay a player for no apparent reason. Doesn't make sense to me

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I don’t know that any of us are in a position to back up these claims. Take him for what he is, a defensively responsible bottom 6 guy who was on pace for 35 points over a full season last year. I’m not a fan of the signing even if you think these things are true, but I don’t think the you need to label everything that Guerin does as egregious as it seems you have been.
What's the benefit of signing this contract at this time?

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
What's the benefit of signing this contract at this time?

1. Foligno has a very nice contract for another 3 years, he'll be happy and play well.
2. Seattle would most likely not be interested in him now.

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
For 30% above market value? That isn't a benefit at all.
He’s more than a 2.1 million dollar player. I still think it’s an overpayment. I would’ve moved him, but there’s a lot more going on behind the scenes that we don’t know. Maybe he is a leader and glue guy. Even if he’s not, he’s still a very good defensive forward that was just on pace for a 35 point season. That’s not the next-to-nothing player you keep trying to portray him as.

Prior

Jan 18, 2020
Weren’t we just discounting Spurgeon as a captain because he won’t get physical and stand up for his teammates? Now we are saying that Foligno doesn’t when he absolutely has? Seems strange.

Foligno is a okay player. I have a hard time getting worked up over a few hundred thousand dollars of someone else’s money either way. He’ll be a good player for the Wild until he isn’t. I’ll live.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
He’s more than a 2.1 million dollar player. I still think it’s an overpayment. I would’ve moved him, but there’s a lot more going on behind the scenes that we don’t know. Maybe he is a leader and glue guy. Even if he’s not, he’s still a very good defensive forward that was just on pace for a 35 point season. That’s not the next-to-nothing player you keep trying to portray him as.
Show me the comparable contracts

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I really like the player that Foligno is, but how could anyone want him to "hold a 3rd line spot" with this roster? Career high of 25 points. If you can show me comparable players making $3M I will gladly eat crow on this but, IMO, he's a $2M per levelof player.

The bigger problem for me is that this is the 3rd straight time that Guerin has been in a rush to overpay a player for no apparent reason. Doesn't make sense to me

Not directly comparable, but Matt Martin just got 4 x $1.5M after an 8 point season.

The timing is odd to me, I agree.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Weren’t we just discounting Spurgeon as a captain because he won’t get physical and stand up for his teammates? Now we are saying that Foligno doesn’t when he absolutely has? Seems strange.

Foligno is a okay player. I have a hard time getting worked up over a few hundred thousand dollars of someone else’s money either way. He’ll be a good player for the Wild until he isn’t. I’ll live.
Show me the times that Foligno has stood up for his teammates

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
Show me the comparable contracts
Carl Hagelin is the one the immediately pops out at me. Especially considering their stats were almost identical last year. And that’s the contract I would’ve given Foligno (2.75) However, some metrics would argue Foligno is a better defensive player, so I can see the bump, though I wouldn’t have done it. Other comparable:
Matt Calvert
Leo Komarov
Craig Smith
Derek Ryan
Zack Kassian

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver

Zack Kassian and Antoine Roussel come to mind.

Although Foligno is a much better player than both of them. Analytically Foligno is a very good defensive player. Counting points shouldn't be the only way to value a player.

There's only 1 forward better defensively on the Wild than Foligno: Eriksson Ek.

guitarhunterdude

Jan 2, 2017
'Sota
If this exposes Ek then its as baffling as moving Kunin.

Even more so, considering how much better Ek's underlying numbers are than Kunin's.

Guerin's looking more and more like a lame duck. At least we have Brackett. I'm in the camp that this is only about a 400k AAV overpay, but if we keep doing this crap we're guaranteed kissing one of Kaprizov or Fiala goodbye.

Prior

Jan 18, 2020
3 years ago. And he turtled

Still stood up for a teammate to a player well above his weight class. What actual NHL player isn’t going to turtle fighting Reaves.

Also fought MacEwen last year after he spent a few shifts running around. Not that it will matter to you in all this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad