TSN: Flyers won't qualify G Mrazek

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
Did he make more than 1 save in a shootout? I honestly dont know, but if he did, I'd rather have him than Lehner. The shootout is too important to leave it to a guy who can't save anything and wont even practice the skill.

Why go for either? Wtf

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
It's babby steps.
Now, if only he'd not let hubris/nepotism stop him from firing his son's college coach and bringing in someone who has a clue!

I don't think Hextall was ever really enthusiastic about Mrazek. He needed a tender and Mrazek was the guy who was on the market. He was very non-committal about resigning him when the trade was initially made. I don't think it counts as a mistake.

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
If you could put him on a retractable leash that only lets him go so far from the crease, that would be an instant improvement. He keeps running and/or jumping out to save the shit out of the first attempt but then leaving ten feet of empty space behind him for rebounds.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
What he really needs is a good goaltending coach. Mrazek has the talent and the gamesmanship, but he lacks in the basics, namely positioning. If you sign him as a backup and let him work with a good coach consistently, he can still develop into a good starter.

Yup, he reminds me a bit of MAF in this regard. Too aggressive and relies on his athleticism too much to recover. F's are just too good these days and will deke around the goalie and hold it for a split second to change their shooting angle

Devilsrock17

Jun 20, 2018
He is a good backup not a starter in my opinion the last few years he hasn't shown that he can handle the number one role so teams should be careful if they go for this guy

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
I don't think Hextall was ever really enthusiastic about Mrazek. He needed a tender and Mrazek was the guy who was on the market. He was very non-committal about resigning him when the trade was initially made. I don't think it counts as a mistake.
It was a desperation move for sure and everyone knew it at the time. Would it have been nice if he worked out and they resigned him? Sure, but there's a reason there were so many stipulations on the picks returned to Detroit and that's because Hexy wasn't sure if he would be resigned or if he would even play if Elliott or Neuvy came back healthy. When your team is battling for a playoff spot down the stretch and your starter, backup, and 3rd string goalie (Elliott, Neuvy, and Stolarz) are all hurt, what was he supposed to do?

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
He came as advertised; an athletic goaltender that can make flashy saves in clutch situations but struggles to make the routine seem mundane.

He was great when he was dialed in, but in general his angle/net-coverage awareness just seemed to be all over the place. There were a number of games where it looked like he was "calibrated" to one side of the net by several inches.

Last edited:

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
What he really needs is a good goaltending coach. Mrazek has the talent and the gamesmanship, but he lacks in the basics, namely positioning. If you sign him as a backup and let him work with a good coach consistently, he can still develop into a good starter.
I don't know, it sounds easy but he's been a professional goalie for 6 years now and I find it hard to believe nobody has tried to work with him on positioning. He's not some kid that won't listen because despite shortcomings if still better than the competition. You don't think any of his coaches have been like "Hey Petr, you've got all the tools in the world but you should probably stop diving and sliding 10 feet out of your crease to make routine saves"?

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
He has the talent he just doesn't have the technique. Im okay with Hextall not qualifying him as 4mil and an additional 3rd rd pick is too much investment for a project but if you have perhaps an older starter and have the patience to work with him i think mrazek could be worth a shot

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
It was a desperation move for sure and everyone knew it at the time. Would it have been nice if he worked out and they resigned him? Sure, but there's a reason there were so many stipulations on the picks returned to Detroit and that's because Hexy wasn't sure if he would be resigned or if he would even play if Elliott or Neuvy came back healthy. When your team is battling for a playoff spot down the stretch and your starter, backup, and 3rd string goalie (Elliott, Neuvy, and Stolarz) are all hurt, what was he supposed to do?
This. With both goalies hurt, Hexy had to do something fast. He did. Now everyone can move on.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
for the fans of teams he played for, will he bounce back somewhere else? or is he spiralling big time?

He's incredibly athletic, but lacks good positioning. It leads to 'highlight' saves that any goalie with a shred of positioning could make look like a typical save. I shared a similar post on this topic a while back on the Flyers board, but i had a goalie coach who told me something that stuck with me through the years - "Great goalies just make good saves. Good goalies have to make great saves." Mrazek is the definition of a 'good' goalie in this light.

He wants to play too much like Hasek and rely on instincts, but he just doesnt have the solid base that's required to do so.

Devilsrock17

Jun 20, 2018
Smart move by the flyers not to bring him back and I think they need to move Neuvirth maybe go get a goalie or give Alex Lyon a chance as backup

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
I was really excited when the Flyers got him because whenever I saw him he looked flashy and made some awesome saves. It turns out, it was the equivalent of watching a YouTube video of a goalie where you see the good and none of the bad. Seeing him every game made me angry and I'm typically not hard on goalies. With an incredible defense I think he could be really good but he gets himself so far out of position after making the first save and his rebound control is terrible so if your defense can't clear every rebound you'll hate him.
You look flashy and have to make awesome saves when you are out of position. That’s Mrazek for you, he’s athletic but his technique is brutal. As a Wings fan I couldn’t believe how much the Flyers gave up for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad