New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) sad again
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
No. The Jets.

E70EA480-F259-4C84-AE19-AC901D0329C9.jpeg

Camille the Eel

Feel indifferent on that Severson benching which seems like it's happening, there's plenty of blame to go on this L4 especially some of the defensemen who've been solid turning into brain dead players like Siegs/Hamliton. But eventually Severson has to learn how to play a safe game on the circumstances, he's too full throttle at all times.
As a team we weren’t playing a safe or patient game in the 3d period last night. It was turnover city both ways for several minutes before Sev’s gaffe. Ruff has responsibility too for our “go for broke” third period, as opposed to the controlled attack and “wait for them to make a mistake” approach against the Rangers.

But I was okay with our “all out” attack last night in the 3d. It was a bitterly fought, physical, ugly and fight filled game and going for their jugular felt appropriate. Only we got knifed instead.

My reason for being dispirited with the club right now is irrational (because emotional and emotions are irrational by definition) and has to do with the losing streak. It was streaks that did us in during recent seasons. Repeated losing streaks of 4, 5 or more games. The PTSD is triggered by the building number of games with us finding different ways to lose.

Also we seemingly can’t come from behind in these past couple of losses. When we got down on the 3d these past 2 games, it just felt like it was over. Earlier in the season, when we got scored on we were amazing at responding right away. That’s changed. When we had the goalie pulled last night and the TV was from behind the goal, you could often we we had no one in front of the net - until Nico fought his way in.

And if you discount our garbage time scoring against the Isles, once they went 4 goals up on us, and discount the first, flukey lucky goal on a bounce off Nico’s shirt against the Rangers, we’ve scored exactly 2, 2, 2 and 1 goals in the last 4 games. Not going to win a lot with that.

Confidence and doubt are funny things in sports that tend to become self fulfilling. It would amaze me if it’s not weighing on the teams minds as well as on those of some of us fans.

Reactions: ZachaFlockaFlame

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
Tomorrows a new day but...

If we dont win against Florida, we have effectively pissed away most of our buffer for the divison lead...

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
  • Haha
Reactions: Zajacs Bowl Cut

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
ESPN is hardly a legitimate information source.
OK cool so give us an example of what is.

The standings, the stats, power rankings from sports pundits, personal observations from hardcore fans here...none of these are convincing for you. Judging by your assessment of this team and the league at large, it doesn't seem like you even watch the games. So what exactly is your opinion is based on?

Last edited:
Reactions: Guttersniped

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
I like this timeline where we're one of only three teams on 20 wins on December 16th and many of us are freaking the f*** out. :laugh:
How many other teams that have won at a .850 clips through the first 25 games have ever gone on the kind of "death spiral" people here are talking about? Like I could totally understand thinking maybe the team will be just average the rest of the way and only get in on a wild card spot or something, but the takes in here seem more along the lines of "I'm worried they are actually a bad team who will have a bad record for the rest of the season."

The only team I can recall off the top of my head having a really good record for that long and then divebombing out of the playoff picture was the Minnesota Wild like in the early 2010's. I can't remember exactly what year it was but it was definitely before 2012 because Parise hadn't jumped ship to them yet.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
How many other teams that have won at a .850 clips through the first 25 games have ever gone on the kind of "death spiral" people here are talking about? Like I could totally understand thinking maybe the team will be just average the rest of the way and only get in on a wild card spot or something, but the takes in here seem more along the lines of "I'm worried they are actually a bad team who will have a bad record for the rest of the season."

The only team I can recall off the top of my head having a really good record for that long and then divebombing out of the playoff picture was the Minnesota Wild like in the early 2010's. I can't remember exactly what year it was but it was definitely before 2012 because Parise hadn't jumped ship to them yet.
It was 2011-12. They won 20 of their first 30, then had 15 wins the rest of the season.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
So you're saying we're doomed, is that it? :eek3:

:popcorn:
What I’m saying is I’m tired of hearing how we’re the youngest team and the fastest team. Than on the other side, we were gassed or we got beat by the goalie. It’s incredible the excuses fans come up with for this team. Doomed? No. Just a bubble team with flaws starting to show themselves.

Last edited:

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
What I’m saying is I’m tired of hearing how we’re the youngest team and the fastest team. Than on the other side, we were gassed or we got beat by the goalie. It’s incredible the excuse fans come up with for this team. Doomed? No. Just a bubble team with flaws starting to show themselves.
I don't get it. Young and fast teams can't get gassed or stymied by a good goaltender?

And what do mean excuses...excuses for what? Not maintaining a 140 point pace?

Help me understand what it is that you're so frustrated by.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
It was 2011-12. They won 20 of their first 30, then had 15 wins the rest of the season.
That team only won CF% in 8 of those 30 games so there were signs that team wasn't great. Devils have won the CF% 24 times in 30 for some perspective.
Ah yes. I remember distinctively thinking to myself that team wasn't legit despite the start because their roster really wasn't that good. Looking it up now...their top scorer was a 30 year old Dany Heatley with just 24 goals and 53 points. That was the last time he'd score more than 20 in a season and he was out of the NHL three years later. Their next leading scorer was noted offensive superstar...Kyle Brodziak. LOL. They had zero legitimate top line players.

So the one team I could think of that completely choked after a great first 30 games was clearly less talented than our current Devils squad. Is there any other team in recent memory that squandered this big of a cushion to miss the playoffs?

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Goaltending was basically the only thing the 11-12 Wild had.

Backstrom was still elite and despite being stupid injury prone, Josh Harding was still really good. That was before he was diagnosed with MS and didn’t play in the NHL/pro hockey too many more years after that.

They were also coached by Mike Yeo in his rookie head coaching season.

That's pretty much why we all laughed at Parise and Suter for signing there, but it just so happened that they were getting some pretty good younger players debuting nearly at the same time. They also traded for Jason Pominville I think later that year, the first season they had Parise and Suter. He still had a bit left in the tank when they got him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Granada vs Osasuna
    Granada vs Osasuna
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $10.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Rennes vs Brest