Confirmed with Link: Flyers trade Ryan Hartman to Dallas for Tyler Pitlick

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Hartman is a JAG, so is Pitlick. Swapping 4th line grinders who cares
Simmonds trade is poop, but so was Simmonds in Nashville. Dude is washed, sadly
Who is more washed....Simmonds or Mike Richards? :sarcasm:

Sucks though we wasted his shelf life with Berube and Hak and I don't expect Hak to be rehired in the NHL and win a cup...

Potluck or Armpitlick....just another grinder as you note.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
Bye bye Hartman, we hardly knew ye!

What was his nickname again... the gap or something? Feels like he never really made any impression with the team.

Reactions: Foggy14

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
It makes perfect sense. They swapped out players who are for all intents and purposes the same guy, and for what will probably end up being a 1 million dollar savings on the cap.

What didn't make sense was trading for Hartman in the first place instead of just taking picks back for Simmonds.

That's kinda what I mean. We've just given Simmonds away now. Every trade is with diminishing returns.

Reactions: BernieParent

dingbathero

No Jam? How about PB
Jul 14, 2010
St. John's, NL
A little digging I feel (probably said before) that Pitlick will be a much better option for us on the D side of the puck.

His D zone starts are insane. He will act (or at least trended) as a 3rd defense man on the ice. I hope this will help with our issue in the past of being hemmed in. Having a player like Pitlick will HELP us in this fashion. Nothing fancy but smart and willing do the right thing.

I am excited to see, not only him, but the new players we have gotten thus far to help us here. With AV and the new coaching staff - good things are coming.... right?

Spread the positives.... come on....

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
I don't think the Simmonds trade was bad because of how bad he ended up being with Nashville. 3 points in 17 games - and we got a player and a 4th round pick, I'd say we won that deal. We wanted him to bring in a haul based on his glory day play, but he was no longer that player.

Before his injury, he was just about to be a healthy scratch for PREDs

I would take Scottie UPshall on his comeback attempt over Simmonds.

JayRosehillMVP

snubbed again
May 28, 2012
Philadelphia
The problem with the Simmonds trade wasn't the value, it was the timing. It came a solid two years too late. As a fan of Mr. Train I choose not to fault them for that.
Exactly, we could’ve had a young stud or two that would be difference makers now. It reminds me of the Phillies inexplicably hanging on to a scorching Ruiz in garbage years.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I don't think the Simmonds trade was bad because of how bad he ended up being with Nashville. 3 points in 17 games - and we got a player and a 4th round pick, I'd say we won that deal. We wanted him to bring in a haul based on his glory day play, but he was no longer that player.
What was bad about the trade was what type of return Fletcher decided on, not the amount.

He could’ve just got draft picks (he said so himself) but instead he said he required a roster player in return. That’s what people were unhappy about. Even if they were mediocre picks, we’ve seen how they can be used as currency to either trade for players or move up in the draft. As much as some on this board have been shrieking otherwise, even non-first-round picks do have real value.

And that’s not even considering if he could’ve gotten MORE value instead of taking Hartman, which is also a possibility.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

CSKA1974

Feb 10, 2010
Flyerville
I will be happy if Flyers just got another
9abbec3dd0a1bd8feb8a8bd0e50a6ac3.jpg

Reactions: dingbathero

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
What was bad about the trade was what type of return Fletcher decided on, not the amount.

He could’ve just got draft picks (he said so himself) but instead he said he required a roster player in return. That’s what people were unhappy about. Even if they were mediocre picks, we’ve seen how they can be used as currency to either trade for players or move up in the draft. As much as some on this board have been shrieking otherwise, even non-first-round picks do have real value.

And that’s not even considering if he could’ve gotten MORE value instead of taking Hartman, which is also a possibility.

I think he wanted a roster player because the team was hot and in the playoff hunt still. He thought Hartman could help that push still and if he fit really well, you extend him.

Neither of those things happened though.

Reactions: Larry44

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
A little digging I feel (probably said before) that Pitlick will be a much better option for us on the D side of the puck.

His D zone starts are insane. He will act (or at least trended) as a 3rd defense man on the ice. I hope this will help with our issue in the past of being hemmed in. Having a player like Pitlick will HELP us in this fashion. Nothing fancy but smart and willing do the right thing.

I am excited to see, not only him, but the new players we have gotten thus far to help us here. With AV and the new coaching staff - good things are coming.... right?

Spread the positives.... come on....
Here's a positive: if one of the kids comes to came and earns a job, we can waive him and someone might actually pick him up.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I think Fletcher wanted Hartman because he is a talented player, and has more upside than any late 3rd rd pick.
They got a chance to see Hartman for half a season, and realized there's a reason he was available.
Then traded him for a useful depth piece to buy time for their LHV prospects.

It was a reasonable gamble, sometimes a change of scenery can revive a player's career.

Pitlick is a valuable piece for a team with playoff aspirations, he's low cost, doesn't block anyone and can help solidify the 4th line and PK if he can stay healthy.

Quibbling about deals like these is silly, late 3rd rd picks have limited value, they're often used to add players like Pitlick.

At some point, incremental improvements to the NHL team are more important than incremental improvements to the talent pipeline - especially when you already have so many similar prospects in the pipeline.

Last edited:

dingbathero

No Jam? How about PB
Jul 14, 2010
St. John's, NL
Here's a positive: if one of the kids comes to came and earns a job, we can waive him and someone might actually pick him up.

While I am all for a younger player coming in like gangbusters and 'taking' a job from a vet - this move allows us to not worry about a kid playing 40 games and then regressing... at least the players we have acquired CAN play the whole season, know what to expect, no 'learning curve', etc:

If the young players are ready, ice them - give them that for sure. Just no rush as it's not needed.

Not even the FA period yet..... breathe (a self reminder)

Reactions: Rebels57

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
While I am all for a younger player coming in like gangbusters and 'taking' a job from a vet - this move allows us to not worry about a kid playing 40 games and then regressing... at least the players we have acquired CAN play the whole season, know what to expect, no 'learning curve', etc:

If the young players are ready, ice them - give them that for sure. Just no rush as it's not needed.

Not even the FA period yet..... breathe (a self reminder)
The cap is going to be tight, and Pitlick is hurt constantly, so his injuries, at least, will provide opportunities for call ups.

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama

I'm always for draft picks. I'd have rather gotten that as well. I was under the impression that people were upset that we didn't get more value (like a good prospect or first rounder) for Simmonds at the deadline.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I'm always for draft picks. I'd have rather gotten that as well. I was under the impression that people were upset that we didn't get more value (like a good prospect or first rounder) for Simmonds at the deadline.
Not as far as Ive seen. If anyone is then they’re the tiny minority.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad