Confirmed with Link: Flyers trade for Erik Johnson. 2024 4th round pick to Buffalo

Grade the move!

• Total voters

iceman42

May 7, 2003
Enfield, NH
So this is the part of the "brain-trust" I am seeing a pattern that I dont like and it doesnt make sense. I'll call this "Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde" GMing.

In the draft we would draft BPA with one pick, then pick someone who was a position of need, ignoring BPA, next group back to BPA, then need, and so on and so forth. Almost like one person wasn't picking.

This trade deadline I got the same sense. Now I don't know if Seeler would have been traded since he got injured, based on them not putting him on IR until after Im 50/50. But once again they go "Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde" GMing. They made a good trade with Sean Walker, yes maybe we didn't like all the leaks heading up to it but they made a good (not great) sensible long-term trade. They brokered the pick with Vegas and got a free pick, I don't care about the player its nothing really. Then they turn around an make the stupidest move of getting Erik Johnson for a 4th round pick, my brain could not comprehend that I though the trade was we sent Ryan Johansen for a 4th round pick, it makes no sense for a team that should be acquiring picks to give a middle round one up for nothing. The Allison trade is a change of scenery trade on a former top-15 1st round pick.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
So this is the part of the "brain-trust" I am seeing a pattern that I dont like and it doesnt make sense. I'll call this "Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde" GMing.

In the draft we would draft BPA with one pick, then pick someone who was a position of need, ignoring BPA, next group back to BPA, then need, and so on and so forth. Almost like one person wasn't picking.

This trade deadline I got the same sense. Now I don't know if Seeler would have been traded since he got injured, based on them not putting him on IR until after Im 50/50. But once again they go "Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde" GMing. They made a good trade with Sean Walker, yes maybe we didn't like all the leaks heading up to it but they made a good (not great) sensible long-term trade. They brokered the pick with Vegas and got a free pick, I don't care about the player its nothing really. Then they turn around an make the stupidest move of getting Erik Johnson for a 4th round pick, my brain could not comprehend that I though the trade was we sent Ryan Johansen for a 4th round pick, it makes no sense for a team that should be acquiring picks to give a middle round one up for nothing. The Allison trade is a change of scenery trade on a former top-15 1st round pick.

Yep they very clearly had Briere picks and Flahr picks in the 2023 Draft.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
You said yourself that it was your default for years. Also, a bad plan is worse than no plan at all. Unfortunately, you cannot always see if your moves are bad until later. The process can be good with a bad result. The process can be bad with a good result. You need to look at each thing on its own merits. And you need to realize your own bias and account for it. The unbiased among us never EVER need to apologize for being unbiased.

See, you're conflating two different things. I can assess each move individually without issue, AND I can correctly evaluate that the organization's approach is inherently flawed, their guiding philosophy and values outdated, and their overall strategy destined to fail. You've heard the expression "when people show you who they are, believe them," right? Well, this organization has shown me what they are, and what they are is a team fixated on the wrong things, things that do not lead to icing a truly competitive team in 2024. They prize veteraniness and low-talent try-hards, and underrate skill. They sometimes seem to have to pay oddly exorbitant prices to acquire or discard assets. They don't understand that you can simultaneously build a winning culture AND collect assets, and show a lack of creativity in general despite settling on a strategy that absolutely requires it. They are trying to have it both ways, and in doing so will end up in square in the middle, which will lead to another lost decade. I would like them to avoid that fate, as I would love to enjoy being a hockey fan again, but I'm not able to convince myself as some others are that things are actually moving in the right direction, because the evidence to support that just isn't there.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Fight4yourRight

“Chuck’s my guy”
Dec 18, 2017
Ok, seriously. What the f*** were they thinking? This one move for Johnson pretty much undermines every single other positive Briere has done since taking the job.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
Ok, seriously. What the f*** were they thinking? This one move for Johnson pretty much undermines every single other positive Briere has done since taking the job.
The improvement for the playoffs will come from guys returning from injury . In the meantime Johnson and stall compete for the last spot.

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
Why should either of them be in contention for a spot?
Because ginning sucks. While I don't have that strong an opinion on the guy I've been hearing for years what a wasted pick he was with only deadhead thinking he'd sniff the NHL
I'm not sure why they skipped grans but the pool is exceptionally thin.

Last edited:
Reactions: BernieParent

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Because ginning sucks. While I don't have that strong an opinion on the guy I've been hearing for years what a wasted pick he was with only deadhead thinking he'd sniff the NHL
I'm not sure why they skipped grans but the pool is exceptionally thin.

I have never had any hope for Ginning but there's still far more value to playing him than either two corpses

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Only on ice for 6 goals against in his first 3 games...

I especially liked the one last night where he:

Pushed York's stick away accidentally while York was trying to pick it up.
Lost his own stick second later.
Then tripped over his own stick.
Then tentatively half-tried to block a shot at the circle.
Annnd gave up on the play with no stick, miles out of position, leaving an EN tap-in the result.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
It is scary he is actually much worse than I expected.

Our GM and scouts had to have some tape on him right, or are they that horny for vets and guys with Torts connections ?

Reactions: Flyerfan4life

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Seriously, this trade reminds me that while there was a changing of the guards, the bullshit is still the same. Such a f***ing failure of a trade, and we gave up a FOURTH for this. I wouldn't even trade a 7th for him. Johnson was terrible on a terrible team. His terribleness came with and hasn't changed. f***ing stupid trade.

Reactions: BernieParent

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
Seriously, this trade reminds me that while there was a changing of the guards, the bullshit is still the same. Such a f***ing failure of a trade, and we gave up a FOURTH for this. I wouldn't even trade a 7th for him. Johnson was terrible on a terrible team. His terribleness came with and hasn't changed. f***ing stupid trade.
psst its cuz they arent actualy rebuilding..

old dog Vets is the way...

signed: Emporer Torts (from the rafters)

🤣🤣🤣

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
His pre-game interview from a few games ago is very telling.

I don't think I was at my best. Being 13 years in Colorado and coming to a new team...I don't think I played my best hockey. My best years are behind me. I think just adding any depth and PK experience & moving the puck, being physical... I'm a complementary piece for these guys

I can't be sure, obviously, but this sounds like a guy who is ready to retire at the end of the season. I just don't think his heart is in it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad