Confirmed with Link: Flyers trade for Erik Johnson. 2024 4th round pick to Buffalo

Grade the move!

• Total voters

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Well, there it is

Colorado finished 10th worst in Briere's final season. Then 10th worst the next year. Then dead last in a historically bad year. All while the young players stalled and regressed and they had to mini-rebuild again.

But I believe the issue was Johnson was in his prime and his locker room presence was dosed too incrementally. In 6 weeks, washed up and dispensing a concentrated (borderline lethal) dose.......it could work.

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
Please, for my sake. They did not get a first for Walker. Keith Jones even admitted this. They had to take on a bad contract for a guy that's not even going to play for them. It's cool a first rounder is coming eventually, but this is not some amazing value deal. And to be clear you don't have to win every deal, but if this team is not going to tank and ever pick in the top 5/10, they are going to need to win more trades than they don't and they are going to need some to be landslides in their favor.

re: Laughton - Jones said teams "value him a lot". Who knows what teams offered that they turned down but it's possible they had a ridiculous boundary the other way that makes them worse in the long term. Like I've said before, I'm getting Simmonds trade vibes with Laughton. I'd prefer to focus on the moves they have actually made though and not hypotheticals.

They also tried to give away Sanheim for nothing...

The theme is these are all guys Torts didn't want to coach anymore.

My point was that they do set boundaries.

They do have a plan. They do have priorities. They do change their minds.

I happen to like most of the things they’ve done in the past year. I do see positive momentum, and I’m really interested to see how they do over the next year.

Of course there’s a point I will no longer believe in them, but I’m nowhere near that point right now.

Reactions: Juicy Pop

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
My point was that they do set boundaries.

They do have a plan. They do have priorities. They do change their minds.

I happen to like most of the things they’ve done in the past year. I do see positive momentum, and I’m really interested to see how they do over the next year.

Of course there’s a point I will no longer believe in them, but I’m nowhere near that point right now.

I'm back on that feel. We've had too many years of pain, relative to my life, to miss again. I just want to believe that a guy like Briere knows what it takes.

If Briere isn't the one, then all my thoughts on hockey and team-building are just as pointless as they already were anyways.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
I'm back on that feel. We've had too many years of pain, relative to my life, to miss again. I just want to believe that a guy like Briere knows what it takes.

If Briere isn't the one, then all my thoughts on hockey and team-building are just as pointless as they already were anyways.

I totally get it and wish I could join you, but I can't. Not after the last 10 years. Not after what I keep seeing out of this team. I genuinely thank you though for not being an insufferable prat about it.

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019

Yeah exactly. For the first time in a long time, I’m enjoying this team again.

Of course, tonight’s game is pretty awful so far. Ouch!

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

Jettany

Feb 21, 2018
I'm late to the context but this is just an indication that he and his family have a history of migraine issues...

There are so many different reasons for migraines that it seems a bit insane to imply that Hextall should have known that it was a chronic issue that couldn't be managed by therapy.

edit: Let me be real here, I could not find a doctor among the 10+ I've seen that have a consistent record of my seizure history. It's just nuts to expect that a GM in charge of drafting a player has prescient knowledge of a player's medical history.
Also mentions concussions in jr.

Serious shoulder injury. Surgery?
2 serious core muscle injuries. 1 requiring surgery.
Migraines.
Concussions.

Scouts consensus to take one of the 2 defenseman.
NHL scout didn’t love his compete and attitude. Said wouldn’t pick till 5.

Just saying those are some pretty serious red flags for someone 18 and is suppose to move the needle of your franchise.

Reactions: Juicy Pop

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
Also mentions concussions in jr.

Serious shoulder injury. Surgery?
2 serious core muscle injuries. 1 requiring surgery.
Migraines.
Concussions.

Scouts consensus to take one of the 2 defenseman.
NHL scout didn’t love his compete and attitude. Said wouldn’t pick till 5.

Just saying those are some pretty serious red flags for someone 18 and is suppose to move the needle of your franchise.

I don't doubt that it sounds troubling, and I would be concerned if it were someone that I was looking to hire.

That said, I lack perspective on what is normal for a professional athlete, so I'm out of my realm.

I'm just more in the vein that I don't think we can accurately judge what scouts and GMs go through on the drafting side, outside of the overt details. It's not completely out of our ability to criticize them on that, but it's rather more difficult than I think most would assume.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jettany

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

The good news is that nothing matters

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006

I actually think Briere can be a good GM..but i dont know if it can happen for the Flyers where he will always have to spend half the time making the old guard happy.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Allow me to add:

Provorov over Werenski, Meier, Rantanen, Barzal, Connor, Chabot, Eriksson-Ek (whom Hexy said the Flyers rated roughly the same as Vorobyov. LOL.)

Sanheim over Pastrnak

Frost over Robertson (in addition to the Ratcliffe trade-up debacle)

Winning on the margins my ass. The Flyers lost on too many big opportunities.
Jason Beckett over Pavel Datsyuk

• Wow
Reactions: WIP CALLER

mercury

Mar 10, 2003
South Philly/SoCal
Visit site
There is absolutely something fallacious in a line of reasoning that assumes an immoderate position is inherently incorrect because it's immoderate. Sometimes a bunch of people saying something is bad just means...the thing is bad. Like with eating shit, as an example, or supporting your local hockey team's failed attempt to build a winning roster.

And I'll have you know, I've been tragically maddeningly right about almost every damned f***ing thing this organization has done since I realized what Hak was about. The one thing I got wrong is that I gave them far too much credit leading up to the 2018 off-season, thinking we were back in the good old days when Paul Holmgren liked to make big splashy moves at exactly the moment we needed such a thing, and instead what we got was Kevin f***ing Hayes, replete with a bizarre attempt to market Boston to Philadelphia.

There is no assumption involved at all. That is your insertion. Stating the same over and over no matter what is bias. It is not correct. Even if you are right 20 times in a row, the thought process is wrong. This is basic logic. Again: you are dead wrong.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
There is no assumption involved at all. That is your insertion. Stating the same over and over no matter what is bias. It is not correct. Even if you are right 20 times in a row, the thought process is wrong. This is basic logic. Again: you are dead wrong.
You're the one making assumptions though. You assume our default is negative. It's actually not. Look at the Hanifin thread. People here want more of that kind of creativity to collect assets. We do dish out praise when it's warranted, but it's soooooooo rarely warranted with this f***ing club, and so yeah, it seems like we greet every move with reflexive jeer, but really we just have nothing to hang onto.

Hell, Chuck was roundly praised for the Ellis trade and no one killed him for it when it went south immediately. That's because the process was sound. There was a sensible plan. That's all any of us want. An actual f***ing plan, a plan that makes sense, a plan to win a Stanley Cup some time before we all die. This new era of orange isn't a plan, it's a f***ing marketing campaign!

Last edited:

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Hell, Chuck was roundly praised for the Ellis trade and no one killed him for it when it went south immediately. That's because the process was sound.

This single trade basically refutes any “anti-Hive” argument. Ditto for examining who complains loudest about the Patrick pick.

Good process (macro and micro), with the understanding that all moves matter to varying degrees (!), with the knowledge no one actually knows which moves might matter most in the end.

It feels shockingly whole and coherent as a sports philosophy? I’m waiting for the gotcha moment.

mercury

Mar 10, 2003
South Philly/SoCal
Visit site
You're the one making assumptions though. You assume our default is negative. It's actually not. Look at the Hanifin thread. People here want more of that kind of creativity to collect assets. We do dish out praise when it's warranted, but it's soooooooo rarely warranted with this f***ing club, and so yeah, it seems like we greet every move with reflexive jeer, but really we just have nothing to hang onto.

Hell, Chuck was roundly praised for the Ellis trade and no one killed him for it when it went south immediately. That's because the process was sound. There was a sensible plan. That's all any of us want. An actual f***ing plan, a plan that makes sense, a plan to win a Stanley Cup some time before we all die. This new era of orange isn't a plan, it's a f***ing marketing campaign!
You said yourself that it was your default for years. Also, a bad plan is worse than no plan at all. Unfortunately, you cannot always see if your moves are bad until later. The process can be good with a bad result. The process can be bad with a good result. You need to look at each thing on its own merits. And you need to realize your own bias and account for it. The unbiased among us never EVER need to apologize for being unbiased.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
You said yourself that it was your default for years. Also, a bad plan is worse than no plan at all. Unfortunately, you cannot always see if your moves are bad until later. The process can be good with a bad result. The process can be bad with a good result. You need to look at each thing on its own merits. And you need to realize your own bias and account for it. The unbiased among us never EVER need to apologize for being unbiased.

We do this. You just can't handle that many of us come to a different conclusion. Also, those of us you do nothing but complain about (god knows you rarely talk hockey) have strongly tended to be correct for years straight.

Reactions: Flyerfan4life

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I really do enjoy when people feel the need to include themselves in the "if you do what the best of US do" stuff. Really does highlight who has the bias vs who talks about others being biased.

Reactions: Audible Velvet

mercury

Mar 10, 2003
South Philly/SoCal
Visit site
We do this. You just can't handle that many of us come to a different conclusion. Also, those of us you do nothing but complain about (god knows you rarely talk hockey) have strongly tended to be correct for years straight.
You haven't, though, and that's the problem. You see the times it aligns with your thinking and don't see when it doesn't. Narratives are death to accurate assessments of recent history.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad