Confirmed with Link: Flyers Trade 2nd, 3rd, and 4th Round Picks For Tony DeAngelo And a 7th (Signs 2x$5M Ext)

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
I may be wrong but the acquisition of TDA is just one in a line of failed attempts to find a partner for Provorov. Provorov is the main reason why the defense is in trouble. Perhaps it would have been wiser to just accept that the Provorov needed to be moved and to have done that. Get the return and move on as well as not making harebrained trades like the ones for players like TDA.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
I may be wrong but the acquisition of TDA is just one in a line of failed attempts to find a partner for Provorov. Provorov is the main reason why the defense is in trouble. Perhaps it would have been wiser to just accept that the Provorov needed to be moved and to have done that. Get the return and move on as well as not making harebrained trades like the ones for players like TDA.
The acquisition of TDA filled the role/archetype that Fletcher and the Flyers view as a requirement when building a team. That is what the goal was here even more so than finding Provorov a partner.

They believe that they need a single "all offense" defenseman. We saw it with Yandle and we saw it with others. It's a lazy "Hockey Man" way of building a hockey team.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Not that I care for the WAR stat, but damn. Makar, Werenski, & Miller. Three guys they should’ve taken but passed on in the first round.

Even Brodie they tried to sign as a UFA but he chose Toronto over them.

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
No. I said he was a gamble. Sometimes players like TDA turn it around, Gustaffson is playing like a legitimate top 4 D-man in Washington after looking like dog crap for a few years b/c Colliton ruined him in Chicago.

TDA has a lot of offensive skill, all he has to do is master the basics on defense and play under control. No one expects him to be great on defense, just not a black hole.

Funny thing, TDA has kept his nose clean, not a single hint of controversy, no stupid internet posts or comments to the press.
Unfortunately, he's not nearly as disciplined on the ice.
He was being his defensive play when he was acquired. He was known to be a black hole that Slavin made look serviceable on the ice. You specifically have stated that Torts would make sure he wasn't said black hole that you are now calling him.

Don't twist what someone is pointing out to make it another issue that was not being addressed currently aka his reputation off the ice.

Reactions: Curufinwe

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
It's interesting that everyone who spent every day for years gnashing their teeth over Ghost's defense is far more subdued over a TDA who is far worse.
I thought Ghost could improve even with the long road to the NHL of 4 years of NCAA Hockey. TDA ain't worth the time he's a shit player by his age with his years in the league.

Reactions: renberg

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
It's interesting that everyone who spent every day for years gnashing their teeth over Ghost's defense is far more subdued over a TDA who is far worse.
And it’s literally just because Fletcher likes one and hates the other, so they have to agree with whatever their glorious leader believes.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Here we go again.

AV was a dead coach walking and we all saw it and we all knew it. Although some of us tried to deny it.

If Fletcher had a backbone or wanted to keep Ghost he could have told AV to go f*** himself and do a better job before he gets shown the door instead he did neither of those so he's complicit in the malpractice.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Really? Depends on the team, the HC and the contract. Q had an awful lot of pull in Florida, for example.

Q wasn't running Florida, despite that supposed pull. He wasn't in charge.

Tortorella isn't in charge. AV wasn't in charge.

Very very weird how after years and years of arguing that coaches are totally fungible and irrelevant, they're suddenly oftem the prime forces moving rosters and not GMs.

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015
Here we go again.

AV was a dead coach walking and we all saw it and we all knew it. Although some of us tried to deny it.

If Fletcher had a backbone or wanted to keep Ghost he could have told AV to go f*** himself and do a better job before he gets shown the door instead he did neither of those so he's complicit in the malpractice.

Do we have a source stating that AV didn't want Gostisbehere and Fletcher did? Or is this mere speculation presented as fact, otherwise known as a "lie?"

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Here we go again.

Everyone in the FO was complicit, Scott had to sign off on firing AV (and eating $15M) the advisors that the team was in worse shape than they imagined and needed to rebuild, etc. Instead they hoped a few tweaks would solve the problem.

Fletcher was hired to implement the consensus, not to run the organization - that was made clear from the beginning.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Everyone in the FO was complicit, Scott had to sign off on firing AV (and eating $15M) the advisors that the team was in worse shape than they imagined and needed to rebuild, etc. Instead they hoped a few tweaks would solve the problem.

Fletcher was hired to implement the consensus, not to run the organization - that was made clear from the beginning.
Yes, we know, every single person in the Front Office is a part of the problem. We are the ones that have said this from the beginning. We are the ones that said AV needed to go. We weren't the ones that pointed to a sample size years before and longed for while defending him until he was fired. Catering to the whims of that Head Coach is unbelievably daft on the organization's part.

Let's not forget that by all reports Fletcher had not even thought about firing AV when he finally did. His hand was forced by Scott. That, once again, falls on Fletcher and is a failure exclusively on him.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

“It permits us to play Shayne and it permits us to (put him) on the taxi squad and maybe have one or two more options up front or on D,” Vigneault said. “Shayne, like the rest of our group, has had some consistency issues. He’s not the only one. But this move just permits us to do exactly what I said; it gives us a little more flexibility with the personnel we have here right now.”

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

He was hired to run the organization and has chosen to do so by consensus. He's always been free to go his own way or resign. He chooses not to and chooses to empower idiots and he chooses to follow any dumbass advice they offer, while also engaging in a bunch of failures exclusively of his own making.

He is a comprehensive and total disaster.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
DeAngelo has blown defensively, no two ways about it.

Talented, good offensively, but he won’t get an extension with this type of defensive play.

Reactions: BernieParent

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
In 4/6 drafts (looking to 2024) Fletcher will have traded a 2nd rounder, all in the top half, including 3 likely 35-40 picks. It gets nuttier: the Wild didn't have a 2nd rounder in 4 of the last 5 years before coming here. In 8 of the last 11 years he has managed, Fletcher has traded away a 2nd round pick. This man just absolutely hates 2nd rounders, so I understand why Clarke and Homer and Lombardi love him to bits as a collaborator.

Wild have made 7 picks in the 2nd round -- along with 6 picks in the 1st -- in the 4 years after Fletcher/Flahr f***ed off. In his entire management career, Fletcher has made two 1st round picks exactly once, back in 2011. Wild just did it twice back-to-back.
Do you know how EARLY the NHL starts the second round?!? Really early! And that is also right after Fletcher has to miss his 9 pm bedtime the night before to oversee round 1.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad