Flyers town hall meeting (alternate jersey for 2014-15)

Krishna

Jun 15, 2010
New Jersey
Well, anyway, does anyone have any guesses at what "role player" Hexy would like to bring in? I asked before but it kinda got lost in the shuffle/not going back to find it lol.

Is Leighton signed? :sarcasm:

But seriously, there's still solid guys that could be had for cheap and fit in the bottom 6. Moss, Galiardi, Loktionov, Morrow, Roy, Malone, Pyatt, Booth, Penner, Setoguchi, and probably a few more off the top of my head

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
No I don't. He takes lots of shifts off compared to Voracek on that line. He had his points but that ain't everything. I like him but he better be an all around player this year for that cap hit.

You're ridiculous. Giroux didn't get nominated for the Hart because he collected a bunch of cupcake points this year.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia

But seriously, there's still solid guys that could be had for cheap and fit in the bottom 6. Moss, Galiardi, Loktionov, Morrow, Roy, Malone, Pyatt, Booth, Penner, Setoguchi, and probably a few more off the top of my head

Winnik and Moss are the two that appeal the most. Seto has the speed but he really has nothing else anymore. I just want to have a 3rd/4th line who has speed and skill but defensively aware. Moss and Winnik can provide that.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
You said he deserves "minuscule" credit. Which just shows you have no idea what you're talking about, or how important the role of the coach is. This team was utterly lost under Laviolette.

Which is true, I've said and then backed up that it's most likely the players that turned it around. If they were lost under Lavy then you must think that they're lost under Berube too because the only difference between the beginning of the season and the end of the season was that they were scoring. It's not like they were better defensively at the end or that they weren't having the same trouble against teams like NY and NJ.

Did he try to get them in better shape? Yes and that's great. Is he trying to get them to be better defensively? Yes and that's also great. But neither of those things appear to be the reason that they turned it around last year, which is why I'm arguing against the comment that Berube turned the season around and took them to the playoffs. The role of coach is very important and hopefully in the future Berube will show us that he can be a great coach by making this team successful, but I don't believe he's done that yet. If next season they're in great shape and they look much more solid defensively, then I'll give Berube credit, which is something I have no problem doing. But I'm not going to give him credit until he deserves it, which I don't think he does yet.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Flyers used to always put a hardworking team on the ice from the Captain out but it's not that way anymore. Berube has a Captain that floats a lot and that filters right threw the rest of the team. It's not about points for the players but team wins.

You're oblivious.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
You're ridiculous. Giroux didn't get nominated for the Hart because he collected a bunch of cupcake points this year.
Last two weeks of the year were like the first two months where he got some points but didn't out play his check. Rangers made him quit instead of work harder to get his points. I got his jersey's as he's my favorite player but he looked slower last year then the past and didn't put it in like the past season's either. Hope he get's back to himself this year though.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Gotta love Garbage Goal and Striiker. it's their way or the highway.

Seriously peanut gallery? I've barely posted in this thread and I've made like one post arguing anything wherein I gave credit to both sides.

Criticizing someone for "being their way or the highway" then making a post meant to incite and contributing nothing to the topic is quite hilarious backwards logic. We're also on a discussion board, if you haven't noticed. Discussion being a key word.

Do me a favor and go make some weird fixation on another poster somewhere else peanut gallery, okay? That or actually contribute to a discussion

Last edited:

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)

Malone has a long road ahead to put the substance-abuse issue behind him. I doubt he ever touches NHL ice again. Penner is interesting given how quickly his stock has plummeted. For the rest of the lot, I think I'd rather roll with whom the Flyers have in-house already and give the kids a chance to grab a roster spot.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
How many boos came from an arena that was always the hardest to play in because the Flyers were the hardest working team? Every ****in game was so flat it sucked and I hope Berube can get it straight.

If you think Giroux is giving anything but 100% every time he's on the ice then there's no way we're watching the same player. He's competitive to a fault...

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Last two weeks of the year were like the first two months where he got some points but didn't out play his check. Rangers made him quit instead of work harder to get his points. I got his jersey's as he's my favorite player but he looked slower last year then the past and didn't put it in like the past season's either. Hope he get's back to himself this year though.

I'm almost positive you were watching Schenn instead of Giroux.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Justice for Cricket
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
One other thing, if I recall correctly (I may be wrong) in game seven against the rangers, Berube had Rinaldo out on the ice with a few minutes left. That doesn't in still confidence in his coaching ability to me.

game 7 isn't the only game he did that. I am hoping he learned a lesson in that series. You need to shorten your bench when you are trailing in the 3rd period in the playoffs. Having players like Rinaldo out on the ice in the 3rd period when trailing is terrible coaching.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
game 7 isn't the only game he did that. I am hoping he learned a lesson in that series. You need to shorten your bench when you are trailing in the 3rd period in the playoffs. Having players like Rinaldo out on the ice in the 3rd period when trailing is terrible coaching.

I'm also 90% sure (too lazy to check though..) that Rinaldo was the one who screwed up defensively on what turned out to be the GWG in game 7 too...

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
I'm also 90% sure (too lazy to check though..) that Rinaldo was the one who screwed up defensively on what turned out to be the GWG in game 7 too...

It wasn't. It was MacDonald that got his pocket picked.

Still don't want Rinaldo.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Laviolette was the "genius" coach with a ring, but he was clueless working with Holmgren, and the fact the team was so out of shape suggests he was mailing it in last year.

Berube gets a lot of crap because of his image and reputation as a player, but he put together a defensive system the year before that worked with players like Lauridsen who is an AHL level defensemen. Maybe he knows what he's doing.

I think the hate is based on a few decisions, most of which are understandable except for fanatics, playing Emery over Mason when Mason was still groggy, not playing Gustaffson, who is a marginal #6 defensemen in favor of bigger, more experienced veteran defensemen.

That's about it, I mean in many cases Holmgren gave Berube few options, you don't like Rinaldo, what were the options? Same with Downie. It wasn't like they had these great wingers in the AHL, McGinn? Akeson was up and down when he came up, and is a marginal NFL forward (too slow for the top 6 forwards, too small for the bottom 6).

Berube and Hextall seem to be on the same page, Berube knows how he wants the team to play, give him a full season and see if they're a decent team, if they're as untalented as people seem to suggest, then making the playoffs would be a testament to Berube's coaching skills.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I don't think they did... that 2nd Rangers goal happened in the second period. Looks like Hall, Vinny and Rinaldo had a total of 16:55 in ES TOI.

McNasty

Jan 20, 2007
Rutgers
Giroux a floater? We must watch a different Giroux. Maybe Alexandre Giroux

I won't go as far to call him a floater, but there were quite a few instances where I can remember him coasting on the back check on plays where a stronger effort may have made a difference.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Which is true, I've said and then backed up that it's most likely the players that turned it around. If they were lost under Lavy then you must think that they're lost under Berube too because the only difference between the beginning of the season and the end of the season was that they were scoring. It's not like they were better defensively at the end or that they weren't having the same trouble against teams like NY and NJ.

Did he try to get them in better shape? Yes and that's great. Is he trying to get them to be better defensively? Yes and that's also great. But neither of those things appear to be the reason that they turned it around last year, which is why I'm arguing against the comment that Berube turned the season around and took them to the playoffs. The role of coach is very important and hopefully in the future Berube will show us that he can be a great coach by making this team successful, but I don't believe he's done that yet. If next season they're in great shape and they look much more solid defensively, then I'll give Berube credit, which is something I have no problem doing. But I'm not going to give him credit until he deserves it, which I don't think he does yet.

Nonsense. The players didn't just turn it around on their own. They didn't just 'start scoring' because the calendar changed. They were in disarray until the coach led them. Yes, Giroux's return to health helped, but who did G credit with waking up his line? Raffl.

I would argue that Berube deserves a huge share of the credit for getting the team playing together and getting them in shape. Homer deserves credit for ditching Talbot for Downie, who sparked a brief scoring binge by Couts and Read that got them a few wins to turn the season around.

Berube also moved Hartnell down, promoting Raffl to 1LW with Giroux and Jake. Raffl's speed and energy definitely helped spark the first line, and he scored a few big goals too.

Hartnell took his demotion well, and the line with Schenn and Simmonds (after Vinny got hurt the first time) scored some big goals too and created a lot of pressure.

Later, when Berube put Raffl at 4C with Rinaldo and Hall, it was an effective line and gave them 4 lines that could put pressure on the other team. When Vinny just plain sucked, he put him at 4C and still got some production.

It's not like all this just happened randomly. It happened because the coaching staff made good, smart decisions. Berube held vets like Hartnell and Vinny accountable by moving them down the roster when they weren't producing.

Berube should also get credit for the lack of controversy in the pipes. He dispelled Lavy's idea there would be a goalie competition by naming Mason as his guy at the press conference when he was hired. Issued closed.

I really like most of the things Berube did (and was surprised by how good he was, frankly). He was very successful in making the playoffs with a team that was so far behind early. His calming presence behind the bench was a nice change from Lavy's composure-free frothing at the mouth act, and his respectful but firm approach worked with the refs too.

I'm sure Berube will be even better as a coach this year. The team will be in better shape and know his system better. As long as Schenn, Couts and Raffl improve their offense, RJ's healthy and Bellemare adapts well, the team is stronger than last year, imho.

Hexy gets credit for the stability. He didn't break up the team for the sake of it, just dealt Hartnell as a lesson in complacency.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad