Flyers town hall meeting (alternate jersey for 2014-15)

Patrick Division

Jan 13, 2008
NJ
Unfortunately, Simmonds Schenn and Lecavalier are likely to play on the same line again. The idea of Schenn on Giroux's wing is the most logical solution but it's far from a guarantee, especially after Berube's comments on the 1LW spot. I don't see Couturier and Read being broken up and neither Lecavalier, Simmonds or Schenn will play with them. The one wildcard here is if Laughton makes the team and shows he can play a some of Couturier's defensive minutes. If that were the case there is less impetus to keep Read and Couturier together, and Couturier could be eased into a more offensive role.

Schenn-Giroux-Voracek
Simmonds-Couturier-Lecavalier
Umberger-Laughton-Read
Bellemare-Raffl-Rinaldo

I think Simmonds on the left is a great idea. He is right handed and I've noticed he scores a lot from the left side anyway. I think this top 6 might be ok.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoEuF0xSCww

Sorry I don't know how to embed. Its Simmonds hat trick all from the left side.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
What do people think about umberger at center? I think his skating is something that could help us at the center position.

Schenn G Voracek
Vinny Umberger Simmer
Raffl Coots Read

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
What do people think about umberger at center? I think his skating is something that could help us at the center position.

Schenn G Voracek
Vinny Umberger Simmer
Raffl Coots Read

Why move him to center when he's better at wing and Vinny is **** at wing...

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota

Schenn G Voracek
Vinny Umberger Simmer
Raffl Coots Read

At the meeting IIRC both Chief and Hexy talked about the fact that Umberger could play ball tree Forward positions and gave them flexibility where Hartnell could only play one position, Left Wing. It was also mentioned how Vinny was not cutting it at Left Wing and was best at Center. They seem to like the fact also that Umby could move up and down the lineup and play Special Teams.

With that said, IMO it would go more along what they talked about to have Umby play Left Wing -- the one Forward position that the Flyers are lacking... and even more now that Hartnell is no longer here -- since he is comfortable there, and play Vinny at his natural and comfortable position, which is of course center. While Umberger does still have good speed, it is better to play the individual players in a manner where they would be beneficial to the team as a whole... It would be little benefit to have Umberger playing as a speedy Center with an out of position and uncomfortable who is not playing near to his ability, Flip Vinny and Umby in your lines and I think you have something that they can work with.

It was also mentioned at the Town Hall Meeting, IIRC, by either Chief or Hexy that Simmonds is better on the Right side... for those who have suggested moving him to Left Wing. It was mentioned somewhere (Meltzer?) that they felt that it was better to move their top LW than to have him playing this system as he does, and find suitable replacements at LW... which Umberger could do, although he was not a Top Line Winger any longer.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Like I said last night, we have to keep VL's linemates as low maintenance as possible. He needs players that are versatile and adaptable (ie, NOT Simmonds or Schenn). His linemates need to be skilled enough to maintain possession, but not so skilled that the two styles clash (eg, Giroux/Voracek and Lecavalier).

Raffl and Read are probably ideal for Lecavalier, but Read won't be leaving Couturier's wing. I think Umberger could honestly work with Lecavalier. Raffl and Umberger on Vinny's wing would give him enough talent but not too much that it stops him from doing his own thing. It also gives that line a defensive conscience which is nice.

So that makes things fall into place a little better:

Schenn-Giroux-Voracek
Read-Couturier-Simmonds
Raffl-Lecavalier-Umberger

I'd consider flipping Voracek and Simmonds to give some more balanced offense, but as a base, I'm perfectly fine with this lineup.

Alchemy

Mind Control
Jul 8, 2006
I agree HF7. Rick Tochett said it best. Vinny needs speedy wingers to play with because he doesn't have the speed anymore at center to push the play.

Dumpster Flyers

Jun 21, 2006
I don't like the idea of Simmonds with Couturier. His best strength cycling, so it works best to put him on a 2nd scoring line where he gets offensive zone starts. His talents are wasted if he spends most of his shifts in transition against top lines (his biggest weakness IMO).

What I'd do is keep the C/RW combos of...
Giroux - Voracek
Couturier - Read
Lecavalier - Simmonds

...and shuffle Schenn, Umberger, Raffl, Akeson on the LW of different lines, hoping something sticks. All four are huge wildcards, so difficult to know what to expect out of them.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Like I said last night, we have to keep VL's linemates as low maintenance as possible. He needs players that are versatile and adaptable (ie, NOT Simmonds or Schenn). His linemates need to be skilled enough to maintain possession, but not so skilled that the two styles clash (eg, Giroux/Voracek and Lecavalier).

Raffl and Read are probably ideal for Lecavalier, but Read won't be leaving Couturier's wing. I think Umberger could honestly work with Lecavalier. Raffl and Umberger on Vinny's wing would give him enough talent but not too much that it stops him from doing his own thing. It also gives that line a defensive conscience which is nice.

Schenn-Giroux-Voracek
Read-Couturier-Simmonds

I'd consider flipping Voracek and Simmonds to give some more balanced offense, but as a base, I'm perfectly fine with this lineup.

i like this lineup and i ultimately see this being the setup we use next year however i have some reservations about moving coots line into that 2nd line set up.

Yes coots centered our " 2nd" line in terms of minutes but that unit played a lot in their own end. We need that especially this year and I don't want his line to be the 2nd option for ozone faceoffs. We need coots line to play the hard mintues this year and while read fits that perfectly i dont know if simmer does.

kyuss

Wings make our ding-dings sing.
May 28, 2012
I don't like the idea of Simmonds with Couturier. His best strength cycling, so it works best to put him on a 2nd scoring line where he gets offensive zone starts. His talents are wasted if he spends most of his shifts in transition against top lines (his biggest weakness IMO).

What I'd do is keep the C/RW combos of...
Giroux - Voracek
Couturier - Read
Lecavalier - Simmonds

...and shuffle Schenn, Umberger, Raffl, Akeson on the LW of different lines, hoping something sticks. All four are huge wildcards, so difficult to know what to expect out of them.

I think Simmonds can do well with Couturier; it'll be part of the shuffling, but with Read and Umberger moved left and right in certain situations, and Raffl and Umberger moved up and down in others.

I like Read-Couts-Simmer; Umberger-Vinny-Akeson in certain situations better than having Read tied to Couts right side at all times.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
I just don't think you can have Simmonds or Lecavalier together. The two clashed so hard last year. It was ugly watching them play together. Their styles don't mix at all. It's probably because neither plays with much structure, and you can only really have one guy on the ice at a time that's doing his own thing. Both are what I consider "high-maintenance players" and need very specific linemates to be successful 5v5.

I would also have Hartnell in that category as well which is why the move for Umberger actually does make sense in some ways. Umberger is a structured hockey player if nothing else, and he's versatile. On our team, that's a big plus.

blinds

Jan 5, 2012

Schenn-Giroux-Voracek
Read-Couturier-Simmonds

I agree with all this. I'd also like to see how Simmonds does in Jake's spot, but on a trial basis because I'm not sure Simmonds would be up to the task. That 2nd line would look great with Voracek there though.

Also really like that 3rd line. We saw how successful Vinny can be with less attention from other teams, and he'd only be better with wingers that are actually competent. He was basically on his own playing with Rinaldo and Hall, giving him Raffl and Umberger should give him a ton more options while his competition shouldn't be that much better. Plus it saves our best wingers for the top 6.

I don't see it happening though, it doesn't sound like Berube even considers Schenn an option for G's LW.

Last edited:

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
I agree with all this. I'd also like to see how Simmonds does in Jake's spot, but on a trial basis because I'm not sure Simmonds would be up to the task. That 2nd line would look great with Voracek there though.
Yeah, it'd be good to give Simmonds a shot on that first line in the place of Voracek, and the second one would then really look great. But it seems to me the first line would then depend too heavily on Giroux making plays, since both Schenn and Simmonds are more guys that can hang with the best of them, but don't really create much by themselves. If no one is there to feed them the puck all the time, I don't think much can happen, and it might be a problem having two guys like that on a line. Still, you never know, and it'd be good to separate Giroux and Voracek to spread skill play onto two, rather a single line.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
While it has been discussed, conversation involving the new alternate jersey may have been overlooked and unfamiliar to some.

http://www.icethetics.co/blog/2014/7/8/rumor-no-more-flyers-confirm-third-jersey-coming

On Tuesday night, the Philadelphia Flyers confirmed they have a new third jersey in the works for the upcoming 2014-15 season.

The news came by way of team COO Shawn Tilger during the Flyers Town Hall Meeting — a special event for season ticket holders.

That's literally all we learned. A new alternate is on the way. The bigger question is, what will it look like? For that, we'll have to wait.

But there's nothing like the confirmation of a new jersey's existence to get our talented concept artists to gear up. We should see some interesting stuff.

----------------------------

Have you been waiting for the Flyers to introduce a new alternate sweater so you can be the first of your friends to buy it and be the coolest guy around?

Don’t all raise your hands at once now.

But if you’ve been waiting for that moment, your lucky day is coming soon.

During a town hall event for season ticket holders last night, Flyers chief operating officer Shawn Tilger told attendees that the team will introduce a new alternate sweater sometime during the 2014-15 season.

http://www.csnphilly.com/blog/700-level/flyers-likely-have-alternate-third-sweater-season

Last edited:

RoDu

May 22, 2003
Winnipeg
Visit site
Here's a third jersey and alternate logo that, thankfully, was rejected. :amazed: :help:

http://www.icethetics.co/blog/2014/7/13/designing-the-90s-nhl-part-1-unfamiliar-flyers

rEAPyUt.gif

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Has anything been said about when they are unveiling it to the public?

No specific date was issued. But as was speculated, it likely will be available for the Christmas-holiday shopping season which means it could be used on Black Friday (Nov. 28) -- the afternoon game. That's just a guess.

dingbathero

No Jam? How about PB
Jul 14, 2010
St. John's, NL
I still vote for something along these lines:

51-96512-F.jpg

We have an Orange and a White - would like to see the Black on certain game days. With jerseys, less is more and that Black style has just enough to make it clean and sharp.

Would like to see our crest moved from left chest to shoulders. White number on arms.

youthoftoday

Jun 14, 2011
Philly
I still vote for something along these lines:

51-96512-F.jpg

We have an Orange and a White - would like to see the Black on certain game days. With jerseys, less is more and that Black style has just enough to make it clean and sharp.

Would like to see our crest moved from left chest to shoulders. White number on arms.

Works for me. I was actually thinking about this a during the Olympics. I had a feeling the Flyers would be be adding a 3rd jersey at some point and that obviously the base would be black. I would love for them to go with a white helmet similar to how Team USA has the white helmet with the all navy jersey/pants/socks combo. Its a nice contrast to all the black.
Now, I don't know if that would cause on-ice issues. They would be wearing these at home while the other team would be in their road unis with white helmets as well. I can't picture a pro game where both teams had the same color helmets. If that's a problem they could go a little radical and wear an orange helmet. Could be cool or could be a disaster. Thoughts?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad