Flyers town hall meeting (alternate jersey for 2014-15)

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012
Per @FlyersE, a fan who was in attendance at tonight's meeting, gave a brief rundown of the meeting. Hextall reminded fans that 1) he'll be building through the Draft; no more selling off picks & prospects for aged vets. We all know this by now.

2) Don't look for any of the recent prospects -- including Laughton -- to make the team from camp. It's hard for a kid to jump from Juniors to the NHL. Wants the kids to play in Allentown.

3) Hextall did say us fans have to be patient. He knows what our fans are like.

Apparently someone asked Berube about taking so many penalties because of slowness and lack of discipline, he answered with "that's why we got rid of hartnell" :laugh:

Paul Holmgren also said a Flyers Penguins Game at Penn State could take place during the 2016-17 season.

Last edited by a moderator:

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
Per @FlyersE

2) Don't look for any of the recent prospects -- including Laughton -- to make the team from camp. It's hard for a kid to jump from Juniors to the NHL. Wants the kids to play in Allentown.

Apparently someone asked Berube about taking so many penalties because of slowness and lack of discipline, he answered with "that's why we got rid of hartnell" :laugh:

Paul Holmgren also said a Flyers Penguins Game at Penn State could take place during the 2016-17 season.

I would like to see him spend time in the ahl as well to develop his scoring a little on a level that he should be able to compete with.

If that is true, what he said about hartnell that is pretty funny but also blunt.

Flyerss

Jun 23, 2013
some other notes

Alexa Bellenzeni @lexaaabelle

I asked berube if kimmo will be on the first PP unit this season... he's leaning towards streit

"by the way..... nick schultz is better than 7" -hexy

"I expect vinny to be here" -hextall

https://twitter.com/lexaaabelle

Shawn Reznik @ShawnTHW

Berube on enforcers: "The game is changing. It's about speed now and that's what I'm focusing on next year. Speed and keeping the puck."

https://twitter.com/ShawnTHW/status/486654105096433664

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

Wow, coming from Chief Meatball himself. We shall see how that goes.

Per @FlyersE, a fan who was in attendance at tonight's meeting, gave a brief rundown of the meeting. Hextall reminded fans that 1) he'll be building through the Draft; no more selling off picks & prospects for aged vets. We all know this by now.

3) Hextall did say us fans have to be patient. He knows what our fans are like.

The whole "we are building through the draft" thing has been said in the past and the actions never backed that up. Now, they are. Nice change of pace.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
I didn't expect any other answer when asked about Lecavalier.
didn't expect to hear such a frank answer regarding Hartnell. wished he wouldn't of voiced it like that.
Glad they are being patient with the kids. put them in the AHL and let them learn what its like to be pros.
remains to be seen if he can get these guys to play a disciplined game. hopefully accountability comes into play with stupid hockey.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Did any season ticket holders ask about Ryan o'Reilly??? That's the serious question here. I don't care that he belongs to another team or not.

Edit: I also like that he is preaching patience here. I have said it a couple of times I think next year is not going to go to well for us. We lost depth and our defense is basically the same. MacDonald played well but I could see us having trouble against our tough division. Almost every other team got better regardless of crappy contracts or not. This year might be a tough one.

Last edited:

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Interesting comments there about Schultz from Hextall. Sees him as more than just a number 7. Could a defenseman be on the way out?

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
If Vinny really is healthy I think that'll help. G, Couts, Vinny is pretty good down the middle. We also can't forget about the horrible start. I'm still optimistic about next season, not that I think they go deep or anything but I don't think they'll be missing the POs either.

Interesting comments there about Schultz from Hextall. Sees him as more than just a number 7. Could a defenseman be on the way out?

Grossmann hopefully. The guy can't stay healthy, he literally has an injury of some sort every year come playoff time.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Did any season ticket holders ask about Ryan o'Reilly??? That's the serious question here. I don't care that he belongs to another team or not.

Edit: I also like that he is preaching patience here. I have said it a couple of times I think next year is not going to go to well for us. We lost depth and our defense is basically the same. MacDonald played well but I could see us having trouble against our tough division. Almost every other team got better regardless of crappy contracts or not. This year might be a tough one.

Nobody asked about ROR because it's fantasy world stuff. I thought people gave up on offer sheets being a realistic option when they struck out on Weber, despite the fact that it was set up nearly perfect for Nashville to consider not matching. A trade wouldn't work either because it would probably cost more than it's worth. This whole situation has been a nightmare for Colorado's management for well over a year, but they're not just going to give him away now. They still have full control of the situation.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
Nobody asked about ROR because it's fantasy world stuff. I thought people gave up on offer sheets being a realistic option when they struck out on Weber, despite the fact that it was set up nearly perfect for Nashville to consider not matching. A trade wouldn't work either because it would probably cost more than it's worth. This whole situation has been a nightmare for Colorado's management for well over a year, but they're not just going to give him away now. They still have full control of the situation.

Pretty sure it was a joke. He's always talking about ROR.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
Almost every other team got better regardless of crappy contracts or not. This year might be a tough one.

Good. The 2015 draft is stacked, the flyers have multiple defensemen that contracts would make them very valuable at the deadline, and this team is ready to compete for a cup for a couple of seasons anyway.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

Unless you were there no one is going to ask about ROR. :laugh:

Where did we lose depth? All they have done is swap Hartnell for Umberger. Carolina didn't get better, the Rangers didn't get better, NJ didn't get better, Pittsburgh is debatable, Washington added one good defenseman and one dinosaur. Only the Islanders clearly improved.

And this division is still probably the second weakest in the league.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Pretty much stating the obvious, but I still think Laughton makes it this year.

If he's not on the team then maybe opening night forwards look like this.

Schenn-Giroux-Voracek
Umberger-Couturier-Read
Akeson-Lecavalier-Simmonds
PEB-Raffl-Rinaldo

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

Nope.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Also, how did the rest of the division get stronger?

Pittsburgh - Traded their only real sniper for a net front guy. They also replaced Niskanen with Ehrhoff. That doesn't scream upgrade.

NYR - They decimated their center depth, lost a top four defenseman in Stralman, and replaced him with a broken down Boyle.

NYI - They added some decent pieces, but nothing scary. They were so far behing the rest of the division anyway and aren't suddenly the favorites or anything. They're defense is still either lesser talented or completely young and unproven.

NJD - Meh. Average roster with average pieces.

Washington - Got better on defense, but at the price of a boatload of cap space.

Carolina - Meh.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Also, how did the rest of the division get stronger?

Pittsburgh - Traded their only real sniper for a net front guy. They also replaced Niskanen with Ehrhoff. That doesn't scream upgrade.

NYR - They decimated their center depth, lost a top four defenseman in Stralman, and replaced him with a broken down Boyle.

NYI - They added some decent pieces, but nothing scary. They were so far behing the rest of the division anyway and aren't suddenly the favorites or anything. They're defense is still either lesser talented or completely young and unproven.

NJD - Meh. Average roster with average pieces.

Washington - Got better on defense, but at the price of a boatload of cap space.

Carolina - Meh.

Pittsburgh- Not worried about them, they'll probably finish first in the division but they're built for the regular season. If we play them in the playoffs we'll win.

NYR- They got worse, and despite the Flyers nearly record breaking bad start they still ended up only 3 points behind them. We went to 7 games and if we have Mason the whole time I'd bet we win.

NYI- Not making the playoffs, so irrelevant.

NJD- Irrelvant

Washington- Adding ex-Pen defenders means that we're going to score more on them and Ovi is a one trick PP pony who will never lead :)laugh: as if) that team to a cup.

Carolina- irrelevant

The division is basically the same as it was last year and I expect our team to be better, even if only slightly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad