Confirmed with Link: Flyers Sign Jesper Pettersson to an ELC

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
And then one of the guys on the coaching staff poor mouthed him when he came over to play a few games in the AHL. Maybe Modo has an image of themselves that they need to re-examine. The SHL is not the NHL. If they have an NHL draftee on their team, they owe it to the player to help grow his game whether he stays in Sweden or not.
Wow, I think you need to re-examine your complex of North-American superiority in all things hockey. MODO isn't anyone's lackey club, let alone the whole of NHL's. Don't try to be the next Glenn Healy.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I was psyched on this guy when we got him. Never really followed him. Did he just not pan out or what?

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
He was always a long shot as a really undersized defensive defensemen. So it's not that surprising he's struggled to this point in North America. He couldn't really crack the lineup fully last year so I doubt that changes much this year with more legitimate depth being added down there.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Yeah, he was always a longshot, but I was a big fan of the pick then and still am even though he'll never play in the NHL. Overage European players (or normal aged Europeans who don't play very much) are good value picks in the late rounds imo. North American leagues are scouted to death, but these types of players often fall through the cracks and under the radar. It's why I'm a big fan of the Hogberg and Bernardt picks and the Vasiliev selection when it was made as well.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I get the contract concerns & that some of these guys could be long term prospects that tend to have them stay longer. However I really don't get why teams don't take some of these Russians every year with later round picks despite them having value higher than that. You hold their rights indefinitely with no transfer agreement between the KHL & NHL so it's not like you have a four year window like the other leagues overseas. These younger Russian UFA's you're practically competing with the entire league to get their signature so why not just draft them late & not deal with that.

It's not exactly hindsight 20/20 with guys like Panarin & Zaitsev for example in the sense they absolutely came out of no where. They may have exceeded expectations but they were still thought highly enough as teenagers to be selected for Russian national teams in various tournaments.

Forunately for us the Flyers scouting staff have adjusted to this in recents year (even right before Hextall got here but it has continued). They've hit the non-CHL leagues hard as the draft have progressed in search for diamonds in the rough. The American leagues (NCAA, USHL, & NAHL), the Russian leagues (KHL, VHL, & MHL), the Swedish leagues, (SHL, HockeyAllsvenskan, & SuperElite), etc. This thought process landed us a crown jewel of decades in Gostisbehere.

Last edited:

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I get the contract concerns & that some of these guys could be long term prospects that tend to have them stay longer. However I really don't get why teams don't take some of these Russians every year with later round picks despite them having value higher than that. You hold their rights indefinitely with no transfer agreement between the KHL & NHL so it's not like you have a four year window like the other leagues overseas. These younger Russian UFA's you're practically competing with the entire league to get their signature so why not just draft them late & not deal with that.

It's not exactly hindsight 20/20 with guys like Panarin & Zaitsev for example in the sense they absolutely came out of no where. They may have exceeded expectations but they were still thought highly enough as teenagers to be selected for Russian national teams in various tournaments.

Forunately for us the Flyers scouting staff have adjusted to this in recents year (even before right before Hextall got here but it has continued). They've hit the non-CHL leagues hard as the draft have progressed in search for diamonds in the rough. The USHL, NAHL, NCAA, KHL, SHL, etc. This thought process landed us a crown jewel of decades in Gostisbehere.

Yep, it is just bizarre...

Guys like Shvyryov & Mityakin should have gone for sure. They have more talent and upside than the majority of players taken from the ~4th onwards.

Also guys like Nikita Makeyev, Nikita Makeyev, Kristian Rubins, Kristaps Zile & Mikhail Meshcheryakov are players who have the foundations to be NHLers if they hit is quite obvious to see... but guys who have a 4th line ceiling are taken over them.

Also though Tim Wahlgren, Tim Soderlund, Lukas Doudera, Tobias Eder, Livio Stadler, Ondrej Najman, Filip Suchy, Linus Weissbach, Adam Brizgala & Kristian Reichel were also a group of non-Russian Euros who far more of should have been drafted... on talent these lot outstrip pretty much all the 6th & 7th round guys taken.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Yep, it is just bizarre...

Guys like Shvyryov & Mityakin should have gone for sure. They have more talent and upside than the majority of players taken from the ~4th onwards.

Also guys like Nikita Makeyev, Nikita Makeyev, Kristian Rubins, Kristaps Zile & Mikhail Meshcheryakov are players who have the foundations to be NHLers if they hit is quite obvious to see... but guys who have a 4th line ceiling are taken over them.

Also though Tim Wahlgren, Tim Soderlund, Lukas Doudera, Tobias Eder, Livio Stadler, Ondrej Najman, Filip Suchy, Linus Weissbach, Adam Brizgala & Kristian Reichel were also a group of non-Russian Euros who far more of should have been drafted... on talent these lot outstrip pretty much all the 6th & 7th round guys taken.

Yeah I don't really get it especially with this past draft which wasn't really that deep. However it seems like teams aren't opposed to taking a fair amount of re-entries anymore so there's always next year.

You were psyched about a 7th round pick?

The odds of him ever becoming an NHLer were always, like, 1%

Kind of strange considering he jumped on people for being pleased with Fazleev's development relative to the expectations of sixth rounder earlier this year. Not to mention Myers. :laugh:

Last edited:

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Jesper Pettersson will most likely play most of the 2016-17 season in the ECHL with the Reading Royals.

Lehigh Valley is carrying 8 defensemen. Morin, Sanheim, Hagg, Alt, Brennan, O'Neill, Willcox and Lamarche.

Unless one of Willcox or Lamarche is send down to the ECHL, Jesper Pettersson could be recalled from Reading ECHL to Lehigh Valley AHL as the 8th defenseman for the Phantoms.

Roo Mad Bro

U havin a giggle m8?
Dec 6, 2010
PA
Pettersson is a non prospect. Organizational filler type player and a not so good at the AHL level.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Yeah I don't really get it especially with this past draft which wasn't really that deep. However it seems like teams aren't opposed to taking a fair amount of re-entries anymore so there's always next year.

Kind of strange considering he jumped on people for being pleased with Fazleev's development relative to the expectations of sixth rounder earlier this year. Not to mention Myers. :laugh:

I assume because JP was a known name due to playing at the WJC before being drafted. His size was always going to be an issue.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Jesper Pettersson will most likely play most of the 2016-17 season in the ECHL with the Reading Royals.

Lehigh Valley is carrying 8 defensemen. Morin, Sanheim, Hagg, Alt, Brennan, O'Neill, Willcox and Lamarche.

Unless one of Willcox or Lamarche is send down to the ECHL, Jesper Pettersson could be recalled from Reading ECHL to Lehigh Valley AHL as the 8th defenseman for the Phantoms.
I'd guess Lamarche will be the 7th D and Willcox will play in Reading to start the year.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
You were psyched about a 7th round pick?

The odds of him ever becoming an NHLer were always, like, 1%

Can't get excited about a UDFA. Gets excited about a 7th rounder. Huh?

Well, as psyched as one could get for a 7th rounder. I don't think I ever projected him to do anything, but the guy's nickname is the Pitbull and he was going to go straight to the Phantoms. What's not to like?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad