Confirmed with Link: Flyers Sign Jesper Pettersson to an ELC

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
who do you think has the best shot at staying?

I don't know it's really tough to tell right now without seeing these guys at camp. I guess since Manning hasn't accepted his qualifying offer or signed a deal yet he could be an odd guy out.

I also just don't see any reason why Pettersson would leave the SHL to come over to play in the ECHL for the year. He might be there for a couple of games to start the year but I doubt it would be for an extended period of time.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Seems like the Flyers are taking the bull by the horns with their Euro picks. They don't really have a recent track record with these guys due to the lack of picks, but it will be interesting to see how it plays out. I think the last thing they want is Hagg and Pettersson rotting away playing 10 minutes a game with no special teams work. At least you can manipulate their ice time when they are in your system.

Pettersson's not really an offensive guy, but I'm sure they would like to try him on the PP before they dismiss him as that kind of guy. I mean you're looking at Gostisbehere (if/when he's there), Hagg, Alt, and Manning and no one else that really merits PP time. I don't think there's a ton of upside, but you need to find out.

I think if he becomes a Francis Bouillon type player, that would be nice haul. Short, stocky, gritty, blocks shots, can handle the puck a little bit, 20 points max. Bouillon has played almost 800 games in the NHL, so this is probably a best case scenario, but I think he's got the tool kit.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Just went back and watched a period of Sweden v. Russia at the WJC to see what this kid's about. First shift he takes a hit from Buchnevich but pushes back and sends Buchnevich down but gets called somehow. Few shifts later he runs a guy down with a nice hit by the stanchion.

He looks small, but he plays huge from what I'm seeing. It's almost comical. :laugh:

Can't wait to see what he'll do in the AHL.

Macbanan

Dec 28, 2013
Uppsala, Sweden
He's played for my club the last couple of years in Sweden.

He really is a wrestler on skates. A small powehouse that keeps anything from being in front of the goalie. Unfortunately his lack of size makes him use his entire body while pushing opposing players out which tends to attract the attention of the referees. So he sits in the penalty box a lot. His size can be an upside as well. At the boards he doesnt steal the puck but he locks them solidly and quickly by basically pushing their ***** hard thereby eliminating all room to use their sticks. On the other hand he has been known to take stupid penalties since he's a hothead, although he might have gotten a bit better at not doing that the last year.

He always goes for the body and never the puck, so sometimes he looks like a genius for simply pushing them out and other times there simply isn't enough time but still ignores the puck and goes for the body which looks completely stupid. As for the time in LHC he had zero offensive production, though while he played in the junior league he had some. He's no talent with the puck so he plays really safe and that's not always bad but it makes him offensivly invisible.

I can't say I'm all that sad for losing him but I'm sure his game will be better suited for the smaller rink. He's a little one dimensional but maybe he'll develop, he's young.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Seems like the Flyers are taking the bull by the horns with their Euro picks. They don't really have a recent track record with these guys due to the lack of picks, but it will be interesting to see how it plays out. I think the last thing they want is Hagg and Pettersson rotting away playing 10 minutes a game with no special teams work. At least you can manipulate their ice time when they are in your system.

Pettersson's not really an offensive guy, but I'm sure they would like to try him on the PP before they dismiss him as that kind of guy. I mean you're looking at Gostisbehere (if/when he's there), Hagg, Alt, and Manning and no one else that really merits PP time. I don't think there's a ton of upside, but you need to find out.

I think if he becomes a Francis Bouillon type player, that would be nice haul. Short, stocky, gritty, blocks shots, can handle the puck a little bit, 20 points max. Bouillon has played almost 800 games in the NHL, so this is probably a best case scenario, but I think he's got the tool kit.

You make a lot of really good points here. Like you said, it looks like the Flyers want to get their Euro picks over to NA as soon as possible. I'm not sure the Flyers were in love with how Modo used Hagg last year. He was given very little opportunity to develop much of an offensive game in Sweden from what I've read.

I would absolutely love it if Pettersson turned into a Frank Bouillon type. He was always quietly one of my favorite players in the league.

I guess the Phantoms are going to go with a pretty young roster on defense next year with Alt, Ghost, Pettersson, Hagg, Konan and Lauridsen already signed and Manning given a QO. I like that they're making it competitive to get playing time even down in Lehigh Valley.

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
This is the type of pick you should be making in the 5/6/7 rounds. There's enough indications that this kid's game could translate to the smaller rink and NA style to make this the kind of shrewd pick I like to see in later rounds. Really the fact that he's already under contract and coming to NA now makes this a successful pick even if he doesn't pan out

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Maybe our version of Darius Kasparaitis although he was a few inches taller but still played large....and dirty of course. Never my favorite opposing player. I remember when he was drafted the Flyers really wanted him...

m4tt145

Jun 7, 2013
He'll be best of in the AHL. He won't get that much ice time with LHC. Also his style probably fits NA more.

kammy

Jun 29, 2007
This is the type of pick you should be making in the 5/6/7 rounds. There's enough indications that this kid's game could translate to the smaller rink and NA style to make this the kind of shrewd pick I like to see in later rounds. Really the fact that he's already under contract and coming to NA now makes this a successful pick even if he doesn't pan out

I' predict that Alt will get a bunch of games with the Flyers this season

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
I'm not sure the Flyers were in love with how Modo used Hagg last year. He was given very little opportunity to develop much of an offensive game in Sweden from what I've read.
And then one of the guys on the coaching staff poor mouthed him when he came over to play a few games in the AHL. Maybe Modo has an image of themselves that they need to re-examine. The SHL is not the NHL. If they have an NHL draftee on their team, they owe it to the player to help grow his game whether he stays in Sweden or not.

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
And then one of the guys on the coaching staff poor mouthed him when he came over to play a few games in the AHL. Maybe Modo has an image of themselves that they need to re-examine. The SHL is not the NHL. If they have an NHL draftee on their team, they owe it to the player to help grow his game whether he stays in Sweden or not.

They don't owe **** to anyone. They're interested in using the player to better their team.

If I were MODO, I'd play Hagg in a way that suits his development to our organization.

Just like when Hagg makes the Flyers, he'll get sheltered minutes. He was playing in a pro league with men. They can develop him the way they feel he will be of better use to their organization down the road.

It is also perfectly fine that the Flyers, feeling that was not the best developmental course for Hagg, pulled him out of MODO.

But don't think MODO did anything wrong here. You're making out it as if they were doing this maliciously.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I do think Hägg was pretty harshly done by at MODO at times even in the context of them wanting to win.

Would have ~3-4 good games playing 16-20mins a game, looking good as their #4... then one bad play or bad game and benched or demoted to 10mins a night at #7 behind ~2 defensemen who were inferior players, and seemingly switched him willy nilly between LD and RD at times and with pretty much every defenseman on the roster as his partner over the season. When the same would not happen to more senior players who cocked up.

Still... he was the still the youngest full time defenseman in the SHL!

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
How dare Modo put their team ahead of the needs on a prospect who will be leaving them as soon as he gets a chance? The nerve of those peasants!

But seriously, what do you expect them to do? They're not the Flyers farm team.

m4tt145

Jun 7, 2013
How dare Modo put their team ahead of the needs on a prospect who will be leaving them as soon as he gets a chance? The nerve of those peasants!

But seriously, what do you expect them to do? They're not the Flyers farm team.

Exactly, why would they care about developing Hägg for the Flyers when they can use him in a way that benefits them. The team goes first, not the prospects who will leave for NA after the season.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
I wonder... If he somehow got a game with the Flyers (even as an overager) he would have to be one of the few 7th round picks who go to play in the NHL the season their drafted. Maybe one of the first?

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Yeah, I didn't mean at all to sound like Modo should have been going out of their way to meet the Flyers' wishes with Hagg. They're in the business of winning hockey games in the third or fourth best league in the world. The Flyers are allowed to be unhappy with how he was handled though.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
I do think Hägg was pretty harshly done by at MODO at times even in the context of them wanting to win.

Would have ~3-4 good games playing 16-20mins a game, looking good as their #4... then one bad play or bad game and benched or demoted to 10mins a night at #7 behind ~2 defensemen who were inferior players, and seemingly switched him willy nilly between LD and RD at times and with pretty much every defenseman on the roster as his partner over the season. When the same would not happen to more senior players who cocked up.

Still... he was the still the youngest full time defenseman in the SHL!

Good thing Hagg is with an organization that won't jerk around a defenseman with illogical variations in his usage and benching him for minor lapses while other players suffer no such repercussions. ;)

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I wonder... If he somehow got a game with the Flyers (even as an overager) he would have to be one of the few 7th round picks who go to play in the NHL the season their drafted. Maybe one of the first?

You have to go back to 2001, when you still had to draft european players prior to UFA eligibility. None since 2000 who were age 20.

Like it though. They like him, we all seem to like him. If he's good enough, and he's ready, it would help this organization to get returns quicker from draft picks, especially in round 7

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad