Confirmed with Link: Flyers sign forward Pierre-Edouard Bellemare

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
This is from a Randy Miller article today (Sept. 13):

Here's the real story, according to Bellemare:

The 29-year-old native of France, a pro the last eight seasons in Sweden, did suffer a head injury playing a March 2013 Swedish Hockey League playoff game.

And he did come close to signing with an NHL team for the first time two summers ago.

However, there’s no truth to reports that negotiations with the Chicago Blackhawks ended because his head injury was a skull fracture, Bellemore told NJ.com on Friday.

The mix-up, he says, occurred when he told reporters in France that he was recovering from an offseason stomach injury while he was in talks with the Blackhawks.

“I got hit (in the head) in the playoffs and the newspapers said I had a stomach injury, and when you Google stomach injury from Swedish to French, it looked like I had a crack in my skull,†Bellemore said.

http://www.nj.com/flyers/index.ssf/...e_translation_error.html#incart_story_package

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
According to Bill M, PEB said that of the teams interested it was between the Flyers and Habs. Felt like the Flyers were a better fit.

Nordiques1979

Nov 29, 2009
Laval QC
According to Bill M, PEB said that of the teams interested it was between the Flyers and Habs. Felt like the Flyers were a better fit.

Let's say a french player playing in Montreal need to have some big shoulders.... Damn this Bozon kids will have some pressure ! I really think Bellemare coming will be a success, just like Soderberg in Boston.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
^Exactly. No, I'm just joking. I don't speak French, that's just what I heard from a few French individuals I met a while back. I have lots of family in Quebec and I truly mean that.

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
^Exactly. No, I'm just joking. I don't speak French, that's just what I heard from a few French individuals I met a while back. I have lots of family in Quebec and I truly mean that.

French French and Canadian French are two different languages....kinda

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
French French and Canadian French are two different languages....kinda

Like British English and American English.

The weird thing about France (especially Parisian) French is that they use a ton of anglicisms (le weekend, le parking) pronounced in snotty French accents. They are convinced these are the CORRECT words for proper French. I work with a translator in the south of France and spent two (2!!) whole days in Paris, so I'm an expert.

Second-hand story from several years ago: a couple from Montreal went to Paris. While ordering breakfast, the husband asks for une pamplemousse (a grapefruit). The waitress says "Comment?" He repeats. She looks at him with a quizzical look. He explains what he wants. She says, "Ah, vous voulez dire une grappe-fruit."

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
I thought the French in France were against any kind of anglicisms corrupting their language? Surprised about Parisians but then again it is a cosmopolitan city..

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002

Another factor is that his fiancee is half-American, which might mean it will be easier for her to work in the U.S. than in Canada.

http://www.delcotimes.com/sports/20140915/from-paris-to-philly-bellemare-an-intriguing-newcomer-for-flyers

“You work for the team all the time but you never know personally if it’s what an NHL team wants,” Bellemare said. “When (the Flyers) came and they were interested, I was really happy.”

The Flyers, along with the Montreal Canadiens, were the top choices for Bellemare. He ultimately chose Philadelphia.

“A lot of decisions made everything more positive for me. The organization sounded really good and I felt like they really wanted me here,” said Bellemare who speaks fluent English in addition to Swedish and French. “That’s the part of the thing to make a decision. I’m going to live here so you want, you know, the guys in the organization to want you here. Otherwise, it’s kind of hard from the start. So that was the main choice. I watched a couple of the games. I liked the really physical way the Flyers play.

“Montreal is a good team – a great team,” he added, “but I felt like Flyers were somehow more fitted for me. My fiancee is half-American and that makes the whole decision that much more easy.”

onlylordsvsmorebp

HEAVYHOCKEY ENTHUSIAST
Dec 27, 2011
VAN ISLE CANADA
knowing the habs were after him ups my interest in peb even more and fact he chose the flyers over montreal impresses the hell out of me. cant wait to see how he does.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
That song from the highlight video seems like its everywhere now.

The Walker by Fitz and the Tantrums.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Second-hand story from several years ago: a couple from Montreal went to Paris. While ordering breakfast, the husband asks for une pamplemousse (a grapefruit). The waitress says "Comment?" He repeats. She looks at him with a quizzical look. He explains what he wants. She says, "Ah, vous voulez dire une grappe-fruit."

That's a bit strange. My wife & all of my french in-laws say pamplemousse.

I thought the French in France were against any kind of anglicisms corrupting their language? Surprised about Parisians but then again it is a cosmopolitan city..

There are tons of anglicisms in French and no one bats an eye. My personal favorite is chewing gum, but pronounced almost like shwing gum.

Nordiques1979

Nov 29, 2009
Laval QC
That's a bit strange. My wife & all of my french in-laws say pamplemousse.

There are tons of anglicisms in French and no one bats an eye. My personal favorite is chewing gum, but pronounced almost like shwing gum.

Actually a lot of english words are coming in the french language, you will find some ancient french words in Quebec. In france you said UN PAMPLEMOUSSE.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
My guess is, PEB gets substantial top 9 ice time this season due to injury and play. I like what i've seen from him in preseason. Really poised with the puck and looks versatile enough to play in all situations.

Cootsfanclub

For Oskar!
Mar 29, 2013
My guess is, PEB gets substantial top 9 ice time this season due to injury and play. I like what i've seen from him in preseason. Really poised with the puck and looks versatile enough to play in all situations.

I'd think Akeson would move into one of those slots before him.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I'd think Akeson would move into one of those slots before him.

I don't think that's guaranteed. It would depend on who is playing better on the 4th line. I absolutely think Akeson will shuffle around a bit too. Guess it all depends on who gets injured and who is playing well between the 2 of them!

Cootsfanclub

For Oskar!
Mar 29, 2013
I don't think that's guaranteed. It would depend on who is playing better on the 4th line. I absolutely think Akeson will shuffle around a bit too. Guess it all depends on who gets injured and who is playing well between the 2 of them!

True, Raffl and Bellemare could get interchanged pretty easily too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad