Confirmed with Link: Flyers sign D Yegor Zamula to ELC, Sept. 20, 2018; back surgery Jan. 2020, out for season

CSKA1974

Feb 10, 2010
Flyerville
He seems like the kind of player who hates losing more than he enjoys winning. I love those players.
rxzw_OPnRdPHsLCPuKl6RGIrbXD7dX5Dg_1rbaMmtTk.png

Here4ThaLids

“Sunshine has always been our enemy.”
Sep 28, 2018
That part about Russians spitting over their left shoulder 3 times in lieu of "knocking on wood" is amazing. I might have to adopt that here and get some crazy looks.

Is this is real spit, like something that must be cleaned up with a tissue or cloth, or a simulated spit, as three kisses to the cheeks as a welcome often don't touch the skin? I am reminded of my father, who after spilling a grain of salt would jovially toss additional shakes over his shoulders, left-right-left, though leaving no mess; when I tried to imitate this, well, I had to clean up.

Thanks @CSKA1974. Zamula is always a great interview.
I like this kid. Find him very easy to root for.

CSKA1974

Feb 10, 2010
Flyerville
Is this is real spit, like something that must be cleaned up with a tissue or cloth, or a simulated spit, as three kisses to the cheeks as a welcome often don't touch the skin? I am reminded of my father, who after spilling a grain of salt would jovially toss additional shakes over his shoulders, left-right-left, though leaving no mess; when I tried to imitate this, well, I had to clean up.
A simulated spit

nmburkholder

Jul 23, 2020
How has he played this year? Numbers aren’t wowing but his back surgery, how did he do this in his limited nhl games?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Why would you want to rush him up into a clusterf---?

What is interesting is they do not see York or Zamula as candidates to play on the right side. With AV gone, there shouldn't be the same obsession with "balanced pairs." York didn't look comfortable on the right side but I think Zamula has played some there.

Given we have a plethora of mobile, puck moving LHDs, it does make sense to pick up some functional RHDs to pair with them, it's easy to scoff at Braun, but he was a mainstay of San Jose for 6 years (until Vlasic fell off the cliff, dragging Braun with him) and has done a solid job here. So I have no problem with Barron or Helleson even if they're just "Braun types", as long as they're valued appropriately as part of a package.

As we've seen, depth matters - without it you're either rushing prospects or playing veteran scrubs - pick your poison.

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
Why would you want to rush him up into a clusterf---?

What is interesting is they do not see York or Zamula as candidates to play on the right side. With AV gone, there shouldn't be the same obsession with "balanced pairs." York didn't look comfortable on the right side but I think Zamula has played some there.

Given we have a plethora of mobile, puck moving LHDs, it does make sense to pick up some functional RHDs to pair with them, it's easy to scoff at Braun, but he was a mainstay of San Jose for 6 years (until Vlasic fell off the cliff, dragging Braun with him) and has done a solid job here. So I have no problem with Barron or Helleson even if they're just "Braun types", as long as they're valued appropriately as part of a package.

As we've seen, depth matters - without it you're either rushing prospects or playing veteran scrubs - pick your poison.

so why is it other clubs, in lost seasons, can play their prospects but we can't?

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
If the team was managing to overcome bad management sufficiently to hit the levels of mediocrity required for basic playoff qualification, then it would be insisted that it would be foolish to improve the team by trying prospects.

Yet with the team out of the hunt, there's still no reason no to play the prospects?

Hmm. Sure seems like the only real standard here is "justifying every single decision Fletcher makes"

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
There's no right or wrong situation for development. There's only right and wrong people to do the developing. Many, many players have developed in spite of bad teams, and if anything, have developed because of them. Now, if you're saying the team is a bad environment -- from the coaches to the players -- and try to defend the people who run the organization in the next breath.......

This shit is a catch-22 anyway. "The prospects need to be in a 'winning environment' to develop, but in a 'winning environment' the stakes are too high to develop them."

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
so why is it other clubs, in lost seasons, can play their prospects but we can't?

So Arizona isn't playing Soderstrom, #11 in the 2020 draft. What's wrong with them? It's well known a player can't learn anything in the AHL, or so I've been told.

2018 draft, 1st rd: 4 players have yet to play in the NHL, 10 others < 30 games.
2018 draft, 2nd rd: only 4 players > 30 games, 18 players have yet to play in the NHL

EdmFlyersfan

Feb 20, 2007
Edmonton
People keep saying “lost season,” but I’m watching Yandle make NHL history and this season feels anything but lost.

Flyers Fans 2022 Perspective

Yandle making history = Art Ross winner
Flyers chasing 1st overall = Stanley Cup
Giroux trade watch = Add the final piece of the puzzle for the "Cup" run

Great season everyone! :popcorn:

Maybe another 3 more seasons like this and we actually can make some progress.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
So Arizona isn't playing Soderstrom, #11 in the 2020 draft. What's wrong with them? It's well known a player can't learn anything in the AHL, or so I've been told.

2018 draft, 1st rd: 4 players have yet to play in the NHL, 10 others < 30 games.
2018 draft, 2nd rd: only 4 players > 30 games, 18 players have yet to play in the NHL

Arizona is a badly managed team.

And yet they still took Fletcher to the cleaners. He's the ultimate loser. I don't get why you idolize him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad