Confirmed with Link: Flyers sign D Yegor Zamula to ELC, Sept. 20, 2018; back surgery Jan. 2020, out for season

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Once again, JOB is forgotten about.

O'Brien still out

Edit: Tripod beat me to it

3fdd549037bec426232e1c695ab66d46.jpeg

I’m not sure if he even exists.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Speaking of players who wore letters, today is the anniversary of MacDonald being bought out by Fletcher.

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/andrew-macdonald

I don't think he (or Bryz) made this list because they were acquired & extended before free agency started.

By the numbers: The 15 worst NHL free agents of the last...

15. Volchenkov
14. Bolland
13. Ladd
12. Leino
11. Sekera

10. Eriksson
9. Carle
8. Orpik
7. Lucic
6. Ehrhoff

5. Horton
4. Johnson
3. Richards
2. Clarkson
1. Kovalchuk

The Penguins are only two years into a perplexing five-year deal with Jack Johnson, one that falls onto the cheap end of the free agency spectrum. For most deals on this list, it takes a lot of money and term to create a sizeable enough win expectation in order to even be worthy of recognition. For Johnson to do it on just a five-year pact where the expectation is just 0.9 wins per year is a feat, one that means a player has to be actively hurting their team to a comically large degree. Over his first two seasons, Johnson has done just that, providing minus-2.6 wins of value.

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
Bill mentioned the surgery was to correct a degenerative issue. Wasn’t it reported fairly recently that he had three fractures in his back and that’s why he had to get surgery?

Reactions: TheKingPin

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Fractures can be fixed, disk problems seem to progress, fix one and the next one gives out.
That's why calling it a "degenerative condition" sounded ominous, if it was degenerative disks, his career was in jeopardy.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Fractures can be fixed, disk problems seem to progress, fix one and the next one gives out.
That's why calling it a "degenerative condition" sounded ominous, if it was degenerative disks, his career was in jeopardy.
It seems like he really whacked is back, created some small fractures and played through them undiagnosed. Much better than a degenerative disk problem, agreed.

Happened to my dad. Could hardly walk one year from falling on his back. Hurt it again 5 years later they told him it was broken (small fracture) the first time.

CSKA1974

Feb 10, 2010
Flyerville
Sport24.ru interview with Egor Zamula hurriedly translated by yours truly during the work breaks.

«До сих пор не верю в коронавирус». Русский хоккеист Замула — о тренировках в США, пандемии и серьезной операции

Q: When did you receive a call up to the Philadelphia training camp?
A: The call came in the beginning of June. I was told that I needed to go through some medical testing and then start individual training while other players would start arriving.

Q: Was the call unexpected?
A: Not really. I had a very good season, good world championship performance. Then I had a surgery, but it was successful. Philadelphia called me in order to evaluate my condition. The doctors said that my back was fully healed and I did not have any restrictions in regards for skating and playing. Therefore, I started my training program.

Q: The borders between USA and Russia are still closed. How did you manage to fly to the USA?
A: Flyers just bought me good Aeroflot ticket. That was unexpected. My agent called me from Canada and told me that I would be leaving for the US in 2 days. I was at my parents in Saint Petersburg, but all my things were in Chelyabinsk (1500 miles distance), I had to fly over there to gather my stuff. Then a trip to Moscow and eventually to New York. A team’s car was waiting for me there. I underwent testing and was allowed to train. We have been tested every 3-4 days.

Q: How was the situation in the airports and on the plane?
A: In general, all of the precautions were in place. The masks were changed every 3-4 hour on the plane, we were given gloves. The plane was packed, but no one checked out to be positive.

Q: Other Russian NHL players have told that everyone has to undergo 2-week quarantine. Did you have to do the same?
A: I was one of the first to arrive, there were no players or staff yet, Therefore, there were no risk for me to infect anyone. Additionally, team doctors came to my hotel immediately upon arrival to take a test, and it was negative. But the Russian players, who were arriving later had to go through 14 day isolation protocol. One could say that I was lucky.

Q: Are you talking about Vorobyev and Rubtsov?
A: No, Misha has not come yet. Just German and Ivan (Ivan stayed in the US)

Q: America has gone through some protest and rioting recently, how is the situation now?
A: I was in the Center City last week; I did not see any fights or looting. Many people are walking around, but nothing bad is happening.

Q: Were you scared to fly to the USA in such tumultuous time?
A: My parents were worried. I was mostly relaxed about that. I was driven from the airport to the training facility, and I slept through the drive.

Q: Has your post-surgical rehabilitation been completed?
A: To be honest, initially, I was apprehensive to shoot the puck. Then I got tired of doing nothing, and the doctors approved me for full scale training. Everything seems to be coming back, it appears that hands and legs remember everything. Knock on wood (amended translation for the American superstition. Egor spat three times over the left shoulder- Russian custom) everything is great with my back. I am ready to play.

Q: Did you restart skating in Philadelphia?
A: Yes. It had been 5 months after the surgery. I had thought I would forget everything, and that I would keep falling on the ice. In reality, the transition was easy. Of course, I get physically tired, as I am spending a lot of time on the ice and in the gym. But it’s so good to be back. I am improving.

Q: What shape were you in when you arrived?
A: It was not bad, it seems. I just simply could not lift anything for 5 months. The club forbade me taking my gear and a stick to Russia out of fear that I will start training prematurely. Therefore, I had to wait till I return here to restart skating. I have been practicing for 10 days and feel I will be in ideal shape in a week or two.

Q: How was your recovery after the surgery? How soon did you start walking?
A: I had a very positive attitude toward the surgery. I thought about not having pains anymore. I would like to thank our skating coach Slava Kuznetsov, who supported me through that. He would drive me everywhere, would buy me food, offered emotional support. I started walking the next day after the surgery, I had stayed just for 2 days in the hospital. There was a Ukrainian woman that helped me with recovery.

Q: Is there a chance of reinjuring?
A: I do not think there is a chance. The hardware that I have in my back is impossible to displace. I stopped feeling pain, or that something has changed in my back, just on the third day after the procedure. As if I just slept in operation room for 6 hours, that’s all. I am out of my mind happy that pain has gone.

Q: Are you concerned with the metal screws in your back?
A: I was a little leery when I saw the X-Ray. But I do not feel any discomfort now. I am a young fellow, everything will heal. I had a repeated X-Ray a week ago, and the doctors told me that the hardware had not moved at all. I feel more confident and on the ice, and my back is more flexible. Everything is super!

Q: Will you have this hardware for the rest of your life?
A: Yes.

Q: How is the camp going now?
A: The camp will start on July 10th. Now we are just skating with the guys, most of us have not been on the ice since march. I feel better and better every day. Can’t wait for camp to start.

Q: NHL season halted in the beginning of march. What shape are your teammates?
A: Everyone is a professional, no one was a couch potato. Everyone came back toned. Perhaps someone has 1-2 extra kilos, but the will lose them fast.

Q: Are there strict precautions at the rink?
A: Yes. Everything is very strict. We are wearing masks off the ice. The facilities get disinfected every 30 minutes, and we have to wait outside. There are sanitizers everywhere. I tired of wearing mask, I have difficulty breathing with it. But there is no other option.

Q: I read that you are recommended not to take a shower at the rink. Is it true?
A: There are many rules in place. Yes, the shower at the arena is for one person at a time use. Everyone has individual shampoo. Sauna, hot tubs, ice tubs are off limits now.

Q: What do you do in your free time?
A: Practically nothing. There is very little you can do due to the virus. Everything is closed. Most of the time I am at home playing video games with Russian guys in the afternoon. We are practicing from 8:00 am till 1:00 pm, then nap, then we either watch movies or play games.

Q: How do you eat?
A: The chefs cook lunches and dinners for us. There are no problems. The restaurants are open for takeout or outside seating only, but we should not be going there.

Q: Did the club recommend avoiding public places or was it a strict requirement?
A: Only a recommendation. But I do realize that I get sick I will infect others, and the training will have to stop. Additionally, it’s very hot outside and I do not want to get out there.

Q: There are 7 defense men on the Flyers roster. How do you evaluate your chances for your debut?
A: My primary goal right now is to return into shape. Anyway, the fact that I got called to the camp is great. I am the youngest on the team. If I get a chance, I will try to use it to the fullest. If not- will continue improving further.

Q: Have you had a conversation with the management about being with team for the play-offs?
A: It’s still unclear. If I showcase myself well in the camp and am 100% ready to play, they will bring me. This invitation for me is a huge chance. I cannot stop admiring Provorov’s on ice skills. How do the people get that talented? He is working 24 hours a day and never gets tired. I fell I grow tremendously being right next to him.

Q: SKA has your rights now. Under which circumstances would you consider return to Russia?
A: If there is no AHL season and there is a good offer from Russia. But I am not thinking about that right now. It’s important for me to return to form and try to get on Philadelphia team. I am ready to play in the AHL as well, every young player has to do that.

Additionally Egor stated that he had not experienced any abuse in his junior team and has only good memories about it.

There were additional questions pertaining to his and his family perception on Corona Virus, I did not translate that part

Last edited:

Young Sandwich

Trout & Hockey
Sponsor
Dec 13, 2015
Outerspace
Sport24.ru interview with Egor Zamula hurriedly translated by yours truly during the work breaks.

«До сих пор не верю в коронавирус». Русский хоккеист Замула — о тренировках в США, пандемии и серьезной операции

A: The call came in the beginning of June. I was told that I needed to go through some medical testing and then start individual training while other players would start arriving.

A: Not really. I had a very good season, good world championship performance. Then I had a surgery, but it was successful. Philadelphia called me in order to evaluate my condition. The doctors said that my back was fully healed and I did not have any restrictions in regards for skating and playing. Therefore, I started my training program.

Q: The borders between USA and Russia are still closed. How did you manage to fly to the USA?
A: Flyers just bought me good Aeroflot ticket. That was unexpected. My agent called me from Canada and told me that I would be leaving for the US in 2 days. I was at my parents in Saint Petersburg, but all my things were in Chelyabinsk (1500 miles distance), I had to fly over there to gather my stuff. Then a trip to Moscow and eventually to New York. A team’s car was waiting for me there. I underwent testing and was allowed to train. We have been tested every 3-4 days.

A: In general, all of the precautions were in place. The masks were changed every 3-4 hour on the plane, we were given gloves. The plane was packed, but no one checked out to be positive.

Q: Other Russian NHL players have told that everyone has to undergo 2-week quarantine. Did you have to do the same?
A: I was one of the first to arrive, there were no players or staff yet, Therefore, there were no risk for me to infect anyone. Additionally, team doctors came to my hotel immediately upon arrival to take a test, and it was negative. But the Russian players, who were arriving later had to go through 14 day isolation protocol. One could say that I was lucky.

Q: America has gone through some protest and rioting recently, how is the situation now?
A: I was in the Center City last week; I did not see any fights or looting. Many people are walking around, but nothing bad is happening.

A: My parents were worried. I was mostly relaxed about that. I was driven from the airport to the training facility, and I slept through the drive.

A: To be honest, initially, I was apprehensive to shoot the puck. Then I got tired of doing nothing, and the doctors approved me for full scale training. Everything seems to be coming back, it appears that hands and legs remember everything. Knock on wood (amended translation for the American superstition. Egor spat three times over the left shoulder- Russian custom) everything is great with my back. I am ready to play.

A: Yes. It had been 5 months after the surgery. I had thought I would forget everything, and that I would keep falling on the ice. In reality, the transition was easy. Of course, I get physically tired, as I am spending a lot of time on the ice and in the gym. But it’s so good to be back. I am improving.

A: It was not bad, it seems. I just simply could not lift anything for 5 months. The club forbade me taking my gear and a stick to Russia out of fear that I will start training prematurely. Therefore, I had to wait till I return here to restart skating. I have been practicing for 10 days and feel I will be in ideal shape in a week or two.

A: I had a very positive attitude toward the surgery. I thought about not having pains anymore. I would like to thank our skating coach Slava Kuznetsov, who supported me through that. He would drive me everywhere, would buy me food, offered emotional support. I started walking the next day after the surgery, I had stayed just for 2 days in the hospital. There was a Ukrainian woman that helped me with recovery.

A: I do not think there is a chance. The hardware that I have in my back is impossible to displace. I stopped feeling pain, or that something has changed in my back, just on the third day after the procedure. As if I just slept in operation room for 6 hours, that’s all. I am out of my mind happy that pain has gone.

Q: Are you concerned with the metal bolts in your back?
A: I was a little leery when I saw the X-Ray. But I do not feel any discomfort now. I am a young fellow, everything will heal. I had a repeated X-Ray a week ago, and the doctors told me that the hardware had not moved at all. I feel more confident and on the ice, and my back is more flexible. Everything is super!

A: The camp will start on July 10th. Now we are just skating with the guys, most of us have not been on the ice since march. I feel better and better every day. Can’t wait for camp to start.

A: Everyone is a professional, no one was a couch potato. Everyone came back toned. Perhaps someone has 1-2 extra kilos, but the will lose them fast.

A: Yes. Everything is very strict. We are wearing masks off the ice. The facilities get disinfected every 30 minutes, and we have to wait outside. There are sanitizers everywhere. I tired of wearing mask, I have difficulty breathing with it. But there is no other option.

Q: I read that you are recommended not to take a shower at the rink. Is it true?
A: There are many rules in place. Yes, the shower at the arena is for one person at a time use. Everyone has individual shampoo. Sauna, hot tubs, ice tubs are off limits now.

A: Practically nothing. There is very little you can do due to the virus. Everything is closed. Most of the time I am at home playing video games with Russian guys in the afternoon. We are practicing from 8:00 am till 1:00 pm, then nap, then we either watch movies or play games.

A: The chefs cook lunches and dinners for us. There are no problems. The restaurants are open for takeout or outside seating only, but we should not be going there.

Q: Did the club recommend avoiding public places or was it a strict requirement?
A: Only a recommendation. But I do realize that I get sick I will infect others, and the training will have to stop. Additionally, it’s very hot outside and I do not want to get out there.

Q: There are 7 defense men on the Flyers roster. How do you evaluate your chances for your debut?
A: My primary goal right now is to return into shape. Anyway, the fact that I got called to the camp is great. I am the youngest on the team. If I get a chance, I will try to use it to the fullest. If not- will continue improving further.

Q: Have you had a conversation with the management about being with team for the play-offs?
A: It’s still unclear. If I showcase myself well in the camp and am 100% ready to play, they will bring me. This invitation for me is a huge chance. I cannot stop admiring Provorov’s on ice skills. How do the people get that talented? He is working 24 hours a day and never gets tired. I fell I grow tremendously being right next to him.

Q: SKA has your rights now. Under which circumstances would you consider return to Russia?
A: If there is no AHL season and there is a good offer from Russia. But I am not thinking about that right now. It’s important for me to return to form and try to get on Philadelphia team. I am ready to play in the AHL as well, every young player has to do that.

Additionally Egor stated that he had not experienced any abuse in his junior team and has only good memories about it.

There were additional questions pertaining to his and his family perception on Corona Virus, I did not translate that part

That part about Russians spitting over their left shoulder 3 times in lieu of "knocking on wood" is amazing. I might have to adopt that here and get some crazy looks.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com

I posted the link and some abbreviated translations on twitter... hope you dont mind... gave credit but just used your username instead of first name if that is okay!

Reactions: Rebels57

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014

Great stuff! Much appreciated.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Bolts in the back? Sounds creepy.

Note how Provorov leads by example, you see a guy who has a big contract and #1 D-man work that hard.
It obviously made a big impression on Zamula.

If he hasn't worked out for 5 months, doubt Zamula has any chance of sticking this summer, since he was underdeveloped to begin with, he'll need a lot of work to get up to NHL strength.

Reactions: Rebels57

CSKA1974

Feb 10, 2010
Flyerville

Note how Provorov leads by example, you see a guy who has a big contract and #1 D-man work that hard.

If he hasn't worked out for 5 months, doubt Zamula has any chance of sticking this summer, since he was underdeveloped to begin with, he'll need a lot of work to get up to NHL strength.
I think “bolts» should have been translated as “screws “. Will correct

Last edited:

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell

That Provorov quote is just another layer on the praise Ivan gets for his work ethic. Dude is driven and if it rubs off on the rest so much better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->