Confirmed with Link: Flyers sign D T.J. Brennan (March 6, 2018 signing announcement in post #1)

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Maybe we're looking at this the wrong way.

Good guy Brandon Manning knows he shouldn't be here so he's removing himself from the team.

bb12

Aug 21, 2014
USA
I see no reason someone who scored over a point per game and 25 goals in the ahl as a defender should compete for a spot or at least be considered going forward as far as trading others.

I don't know much about him but I feel his star line automatically makes him better then manning and makes streit and Shultz even more expandable then they were. AMAC is a wild card due to his contract

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I see no reason someone who scored over a point per game and 25 goals in the ahl as a defender should compete for a spot or at least be considered going forward as far as trading others.

I don't know much about him but I feel his star line automatically makes him better then manning and makes streit and Shultz even more expandable then they were. AMAC is a wild card due to his contract

He's an organization filler. He's not going to really factor into the equation. There's a reason he's been on multiple teams to this point & hasn't caught on in the NHL despite putting up numbers in the AHL. At age 27 I'm not expecting that to change.

Petr Svoboda Mullet

Apr 3, 2016
He's an organization filler. He's not going to really factor into the equation. There's a reason he's been on multiple teams to this point & hasn't caught on in the NHL despite putting up numbers in the AHL. At age 27 I'm not expecting that to change.

Agreed. He's akin to Darrin Ruf for the Phillies. Solid minor league that doesn't have the chops to last more than a few games in the big leagues.

bb12

Aug 21, 2014
USA
I wouldn't expect anything better then 6/7 since a bucket > manning

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
They have to accept the salary the arbitrators awards, and then choose a one year or two year deal.

Or sign them to a contract before arbitration.

Or trade them before arbitration.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

In the NHL, you have to be able to play defense. He can't.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
In the NHL, you have to be able to play defense. He can't.

Yup, and if you are sub-par defensively like him in today's NHL then you have to generally be a good/great skater to make up for it.

And he is not.

He is actually pretty 'unlucky' in regards to when he was born... if he was ~15-20 years older Brennan would probably have had a good NHL career!

Hooah4

Apr 4, 2007
Maungie, PA
PPL Center is amazing. I love it. I moved up this way a few years ago. It's stunning. I love going there doesn't help we have a ton of solid prospects to watch up there
I can only hope they get better. Went to 12 games last season and every one they lost.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Can we have a brief moment of silence for Brennans NHL hopes?

Eklund just said that he believes he could have an NHL future, which, of course, means there's no chance it happens.

I love this signing...TJ is a real talent who has been a slow developer but this could turn into one of the best "off the radar" moves of the summer. I have been following TJ's career closely and the former Hockey/Lacrosse High School star has been on an upward trajectory since being drafted, to the point where he became a dominant player this past year for the Marlies. The best d-man in the AHL. He is a guarantee to make the Phantoms better, but I think there may still be more there at the NHL level to come...

flyersfan018

Mar 2, 2011
NJ

He's been given the chance multiple times. Just seems like he doesn't have the complete skillset to cut in the NHL.

Brennan's a Jersey guy? I immediately want him to make the team.

Moorestown area specifically. I know lots of people who have played hockey with him.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
The most I could really see happening for Brennan in regards to the NHL this year is being a short term injury call-up but that might just have him sitting in the press box as a spare though.

backburner

May 6, 2011
NJ, USA
just to confirm - if he is in pre season does he hit waivers or is he exempt until the season starts like in nhl16

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
thanks - i figured.. hope he doesn't get claimed

seems very likely but then he would have to clear again if sent down ?

He won't get claimed. He's been passing through waivers for years now. His value is in the minors not as a spare defensemen so it's not really worth the claim for other teams. You can find a steadier vet presence for a spare role.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I was disappointed that he wasn't resigned with the Toronto Marlies this season, as he certainly helps the competitiveness of your AHL squad. I watched quite a few of the Marlies games last year, and lets just say he is barely a passable AHL D man, in the defensive zone. Even at the AHL level, he will make a lot of D errors. But, his offensive game is elite for the AHL. There is nothing wrong with make a career in the AHL, and getting well paid to do so. Just understand that he is, what he is, and will help the Phantoms score, but don't be under any illusions that he has a NHL future, or is some shut down guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad